Engine lid pull knob on a '55

For Pre A discussions and questions
Vincent Gillespie
356 Fan

Engine lid pull knob on a '55

#1 Post by Vincent Gillespie »

Hello, can the 'Oracles' confirm that the pull knob for the engine lid comes through the little hole in the upholstery panel pointed to with the pencil in the attached photo?

Thanks
V
Attachments
Near Side rear upholst panel hole for lid pull 001.JPG
V. Gillespie

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

Re: Engine lid pull knob on a '55

#2 Post by James Davies »

Yes! Make sure the rod in which the cable slides does not stick out the hole though.
Attachments
2548_p50_l.jpg

Vincent Gillespie
356 Fan

#3 Post by Vincent Gillespie »

Thanks for the photo and information which will be of great use.

This was already taken apart when I got the car, I was pretty sure I was correct but with your, and many others, knowledge available to check I thought it best to ask what may seem a silly question.

Our guiding rule is if it was original we will try and put it back but who would think vinyl could shrink and distort so much. To manipulate the original vinyl on the door cards I worked in our kitchen in front of the fan oven going at full blast with the door open, plus a hot air blower also on full on a very hot day, but it was still a battle. Unfortunately I can't get the car in the kitchen to do the same so this could get interesting.

V
V. Gillespie

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#4 Post by James Davies »

Cool Vincent! I think it's fantastic you're reusing the original vinyl, patching where needed. Is the original interior on yours this beige vinyl with cord inserts on the front and rear seats?

It's interesting that it's a bit lighter shade than the other beige vinyl I've seen used during this period. That vinyl has little brown speckles on it, which gives it a bit darker shade overall.

Vincent Gillespie
356 Fan

#5 Post by Vincent Gillespie »

Hello James, The vinyl interior is actually grey, the picture was taken inside so the colour doesn't come out very well, if you look at a post I made about cleaning the seats the photo is taken outside in sunlight so the colour in the photo is good. I have made a frame to try & stretch the panels, we'll see if this is possible as they have shrunk 30+mm top to bottom, front to back is only about 10mm, probably something to do with the weave of the natural fabric supporting the man made stuff of the material.
V
V. Gillespie