Gearbox types - Help please

For Pre A discussions and questions
richardallen
356 Fan

Gearbox types - Help please

#1 Post by richardallen »

I am trying to identify 2 gearboxes I have to install in my 1953 356 coupe.

I have downloaded Vic Skirmants article and previously had a sheet with an outline shape of each type of box, 519, 644, 718 etc and the different mountings. I can no longer find this sheet to print off - any ideas where I might find it ???

My 2 boxes have 519/1 and 644/540 stamped on them. Can anyone shed light on the model they would be applicable to. My thoughts are the 519 is definitely a Pre A box, but were the 644 boxes put in any Pre A cars

Thanks for your help

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

Re: Gearbox types - Help please

#2 Post by Vic Skirmants »

I have never seen a trans with a "519/1" stamp. What is the serial number?
The early A cars used a 519 housing with a dual-mount nose. That's your 644/540 trans, and it's out of a speedster. Those were never installed in pre-A cars; because they did not exist then. What is the serial number? That trans can be installed in your 53 after changing the nose and mounting studs.

Spencer Harris
356 Fan

#3 Post by Spencer Harris »

richardallen wrote:I have downloaded Vic Skirmants article and previously had a sheet with an outline shape of each type of box, 519, 644, 718 etc and the different mountings. I can no longer find this sheet to print off - any ideas where I might find it ???
Richard,
Here is the schematic you're most likely referring to. It is shown in Stoddard's catalog on the web and in the older paper catalogs.
356 Transmissions.jpg
Spencer Harris
San Joaquin Valley, CA.

richardallen
356 Fan

#4 Post by richardallen »

Thanks Spencer that is exactly what I was looking for.

Hi Vic, would you mind if I emailed you photos of the 2 boxes and their numbers to help identify them ?
I have looked at the profile of the 519 box and it has the 'lump' on the side and definitely says 519/1, it has several other numbers but I'm not sure which may be the serial no.
The serial number on the 644/540 looks to be 8365 stamped in 2 places, near the starter motor on one half and on the underside near the join on the other half. Again there are other numbers which I am not sure of.

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#5 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Richard, I'd be happy to check your photos and tell you what I can. I'm curious about where the "519/1" number is stamped.

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#6 Post by James Davies »

I would be interested in the 519/1 stamp too. Perhaps this refers to the ribbed case used from ~Aug 1953 onward? Not sure. I've never seen this designation used on these cases in any Porsche documentation. Or perhaps it refers to the dual mount version for the early T1 cars?

The serial number would be 4 digits (possibly followed by Hx were x=1 to 5). It should be stamped up by where the starter mounts I believe?

Spencer Harris
356 Fan

#7 Post by Spencer Harris »

I don't know if this means anything, but Piero Teruel listed what he called a 519/1 on the Samba site last fall. Single-mount for an earlier car. The ad is closed so no other information is showing.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds ... id=1917617
519_1 gearbox.jpg
Spencer Harris
San Joaquin Valley, CA.

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#8 Post by Vic Skirmants »

That's definitely the first version. Smooth case, filler bump. But where is it stamped 519/1?

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#9 Post by James Davies »

I don't think those early cases were ever stamped with 519 or 519/1. But I could be wrong. There are some people who call the smoothies 519/1 and the ribbed 519/2, but I've never seen any Porsche documentation indicating this designation. Will have to investigate further.

Btw, generally with early Porsche parts, type number xxx and xxx/1 are two iterations of the same design. Not equivalent. For example, the Type 546 was the 2-piece case 1500 normal with shell bearings and 32 PBI carbs. The 546/1 was the industrial engine using the same cases and P-3xxx numbering, but different carbs and valves. And the 546/2 was the 3-piece case version of the Type 546.

richardallen
356 Fan

#10 Post by richardallen »

Apologies fellas, I am a bit of a luddite and I keep getting told I cannot upload the photos because the file size is too large and I don't know if / how it can be made smaller.

I really appreciate your help so have you any other suggestion, or email address I could use.

Cheers
Richard

richardallen
356 Fan

#11 Post by richardallen »

The 519/1 is stamped on the top join between the 4th and 5th bolts away from the bell housing.

The number 207 is stamped in 2 places, just below the starter motor and adjacent to the rubber mounting

The number 248 is stamped above the starter motor, and next to the join in the cases

The casting number seems to be 21.01.4

The bolts heads show NSF 8G

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#12 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Richard,
My email should be on my profile. You can send the photos there.
207 is a random number for keeping the case halves together after machining.
248 is your transmission number.
21.01.4 is a part number. The casting dates are in small circles on the front of each case half.