Engine Numbers

For Pre A discussions and questions
Martin Bruechle
356 Fan

Engine Numbers

#1 Post by Martin Bruechle »

Looking at my Pre A 2 piece numbers today and are very crude stamped crooked and appear to be;

1 56852 CA.

Any idea on these numbers ?
Motor came out of a backyard of a shop 10 years ago in the Los Angeles area.

Thanks, Martin

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

Re: Engine Numbers

#2 Post by James Davies »

That's not a Porsche engine number. Could be a VW number from 1956?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/in ... dating.php

Post a photo. What are the 3 numbers on the side of the generator stand? Those give the casting date of the case.

Martin Bruechle
356 Fan

#3 Post by Martin Bruechle »

Thanks Jim, I'll check it out after work. Don't plan on running it but will keep it for if I ever sell my 53.
My buddy has a VW tranny shop for 35 years and was buying out this old guys core tranny's and found it.
When he called me about it I begged him to try to get it in his bundle truck load.

Called me and said come get it. After work went to his shop and said "How Much Was It" ?

He said $300 :shock:

Complete motor, carbs to exhaust and it turns over.

Alan Hall
356 Fan

#4 Post by Alan Hall »

It was pretty common for the 2-piece magnesium cases to wear out the cam bearing surfaces fairly quickly, around 100,000 miles, and the usual "fix" was to machine a 36hp VW case to the Porsche dimensions and rebuild the Porsche engine using the VW case. Good chance that is what happened here and, as James said, is likely a '56 VW case, but a photo might help to identify for sure.

Martin Bruechle
356 Fan

#5 Post by Martin Bruechle »

What is the difference between the 36hp VW and the Porsche block ?
Rebuilt many VW motors but never did a 36hp we used to toss them in the dumpster even good running ones.

The oil line tapped into the generator stand and what else ?

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#6 Post by James Davies »

Porsche used the period VW castings. Whatever VW was making, Porsche was using. So a 1953 Porsche motor would use the 1953 VW 25hp casting.

The differences are that Porsche took the machined, matched case halves and did further machining:

- enlarged the cylinder spigots for the Porsche aluminum cylinders
- drilled/tapped hole in generator stand for oil return line
- bored the 3 mains to +1 for fitting the +1 case bearings Porsche used

- the 36hp castings started being used in late '53, and these required relieving of the interior webbing to fit the Porsche internals (sometime between engine numbers 32156 and 32442).
- 2 through-bolts replace the upper and lower central studs holding the case halves together starting 5 Feb 1954 for Super engines (528, 589) and 20 June 1954 for normals (546, 506). If an earlier case was rebuilt, often these through bolts would be added, as that's what Porsche recommended.

Plus Porsche stamped their own engine numbers (P-xxxxx) and internal numbers (xxxx). And the Porsche mechanic who built the motor stamped his initials into the case. Many of the VW casting inspection and machining numbers are also on all these motors.

Of course there are big differences between a 1953 VW casting and a 1956 VW casting. The castings have the day they were cast embossed on both case halves, and there lots of casting details that changed over time.

Alfred Higdon
356 Fan

#7 Post by Alfred Higdon »

Hello Martin,
I have an original case from 1953 here at the house. Stop by when you have time, I can guide you
Through all the details.
Al from Gardena.

Martin Bruechle
356 Fan

#8 Post by Martin Bruechle »

Thanks Al, I don't plan on running the Pre A motor just keep it on the shelf.
Going to run the 912 motor with my Shasta P/L's, 40 Webers or some 40 P11's (split shaft) I found in the garage last weekend.
Going to build a driver and try to get it going for the Phoenix Club and Luftgekuhlt. Even if I have to slap a little bondo on the nose and primer it
as is and put a VW trans in it. No funds for a restoration right now, time to shit of get off the pot. 20+ years is enough curing time. Lol
I was going to wait till I retire but after looking at your cars I kinda got excited seeing a fellow Pre A guy doing his own work in his own garage
the way I want to do it.

My motor numbers on the pink slip are P31581. If your numbers are close maybe we can make a deal.

Waiting on my COA from Porsche N America then off to the DMV to register it after a Vin verify.
Going to DMV for the YOM form, Get a Vin verify guy over here, then try to have the Vin #s put on the pink slip.Got my Vintage 51 plates from eBay, 53 year white/black metal year tag, and polished aluminum frame with month/year sticker locations. It was last registered in 92.