reseal a seeping 519

For Pre A discussions and questions
Ned Gorski
356 Fan

reseal a seeping 519

#1 Post by Ned Gorski »

When i restored my 55 cab some years ago.
i simply cleaned the original split case 519 transmission changed the oil and hung it in the car , crossed my fingers and hoped for the best.
figured if it needed work i would know pretty fast. She leaked a little right from the start less than a ounce a year ..
to my surprize she ran amazingly smooth without issue better than my 911 at the time. To the point where Porsche guys who have driven my car, have commented on how great she runs for a split case no noise vibration grinding and effortless shifting . She has run great ever since.. except she is now leaking closer to 4 or 5 ounces a year.
What is the general consensus, do i try tightening the case bolts ? if so to what torque? what can i try and do myself ? i'm a little apprehensive to send out a perfectly working transmissions and have it resealed . i shutter to ask" whats that costing now a days" ? and who does it?
Thanks in advance

Regards Ned
Last edited by Ned Gorski on Tue May 09, 2017 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jacques Lefriant
356 Fan

Re: reseal a seeping 915

#2 Post by Jacques Lefriant »

Hi Ned
it's 519 not 915(911) you can torque the bolts but be very cautious with the studs(1or 2 by the pinion brg and the few in the nose cone) since you are "screwed" if they strip the threads in the case. just keep it topped off unless you are prepared to do a major expensive overhaul. i defer to John and Vic for the crystal ball recommendation.
j

Ned Gorski
356 Fan

Re: reseal a seeping 519

#3 Post by Ned Gorski »

Jaques
Thanks for the info that's my dyslexia Kicking In. . much appreciated I corrected it. . :)

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#4 Post by Vic Skirmants »

I doubt any bolts/nuts are loose. 519s just seep if well-aged. Don't take any 8mm fastener past 18 ft-lb torque. 16 if screwed into the magnesium.

Ned Gorski
356 Fan

#5 Post by Ned Gorski »

vic thanks for the torque specifications.

Regards Ned