Owners of late 1955 pre-A Speedsters

For Pre A discussions and questions
kirk wilson
356 Fan

Owners of late 1955 pre-A Speedsters

#1 Post by kirk wilson »

Early windscreen defroster vents

Can any member assist with an original parts quest for my 1955 Speedster 81045, a Pre-A built right on the cusp of the changes i.e. 1600 engine etc (early November 1955). I’ve tried for the past 8 years with various experts in the Registry and other 356 clubs, but so far I have come up blank.

Some detail -

The first photo is the early defroster vent that I'm referring to from a 1955 Pre A Speedster. Not great detail, but its the best I have. It appears a late batch of Pre A Speedsters were fitted with early prototype defroster vents, which if you look at photo 1, the basic difference is that there is no divider in the air channel and the screw holes are ‘towards the driver’. Photo 2 shows the later Speedster vent and the version for a Roadster, which is all I have been able to source so far. I know my car had this early version, as the position of the screw holes on the dash match the photograph. Can any member provide a better quality photograph from this Pre A batch of cars?

My guess is that this early prototype was quickly replaced by a neater version, which had two dividers and the screws are ‘away from the driver’.

I’m not having much luck with finding an original or reproduction set. The only alternative is to have a skilled craftsman make the part from scratch. Either way, I'm looking to copy a sample of an original. Can anyone help? Contact me via direct email if preferred. Thanks.
Attachments
Speedster defroster vent.jpg
Speedster or Roadster Defroster Vent Covers (late).jpg

Bob Salvin
356 Fan

Re: Owners of late 1955 pre-A Speedsters

#2 Post by Bob Salvin »

Not sure if this helps but my speedster, #81203 has the divided version of the vents.
Attachments
Speedster Defroster.JPG

kirk wilson
356 Fan

#3 Post by kirk wilson »

Bob, Thanks for taking the time to reply. As you acknowledge, the version I'm looking for (for #81045) is without the 'dividers' and the screws are towards the driver. A subtle, but important difference. We reckon the early version I'm trying to find was only on a couple of hundred cars. It would be interesting (to some Speedster owners) to ascertain when this early prototype started and finished. Thanks again.

Cal Ensor
356 Fan

#4 Post by Cal Ensor »

Post in the Pre-A Registry area for possibly more results
Cal Ensor Littleton,Co. Pre A Speedster 80613

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#5 Post by Ron LaDow »

Kirk,
Mine is #81109 and those parts are among the few original parts on the car. I'll have to look tomorrow, but suffice to say that this Speedster HAD defrosters unlike my earlier one, so it's pretty certain it has the 'no bars', screws inside.
But I'm not sure that's any help to you. As I recall, they had to be fitted before the windshield was in place, and I don't think my wife threatening divorce would get me to R&R that windshield.
Cal, yours are as mine are described, aren't they?

Added by edit:
I am certainly not a panel beater; my efforts make potato sacks. But during the March F-1 restoration, there were various small formed bits and using the techniques from Ron Fournier's book ( https://www.amazon.com/Metal-Fabricator ... talworking ) it turned out to be simple enough that even a caveman could do it!
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

kirk wilson
356 Fan

#6 Post by kirk wilson »

Ron, Thanks for replying. Sounds similar. Any help/photo is much appreciated...but don't sacrifice your marriage!!

kirk wilson
356 Fan

#7 Post by kirk wilson »

Cal, Advice taken. Now on the Pre-A too. Thanks.

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#8 Post by James Davies »

Moved this thread to the pre-A forum leaving a pointer in the main discussion area.

As for the vents, I suspect you will have to borrow one and make them, or just get dimensions. A tracing on paper would work.

A metal shaper with a bead roller or power hammer (and correct-sized tooling) could make this easily I think.

Perhaps Chad Comeau could comment? He is knowledgeable on 1600 pre-A Speedsters.

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#9 Post by Ron LaDow »

Kirk,
My car does have the earlier ones as you can see here:
Well, no you can't. I have been told not to say bad things about the web site so I won't mention that it will not accept files shot by my point-and-shoot camera.
You'll have to take my word on it.
2nd thought:
Contact me through here http://www.precisionmatters.biz/contact.php and I'll send the images right to you.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

kirk wilson
356 Fan

#10 Post by kirk wilson »

Ron,
Thanks for getting back to me. Appreciate your efforts to assist. Ive just sent you an email.

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#11 Post by Ron LaDow »

Kirk,
I tried to send the image to you via return mail, and it was kicked back by the time I returned to the in-box. Got another email addy you're willing to share here?
And ain't it great that while we're supposedly trying to attract younger members, the site can't accept a point-and-shoot image?
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#12 Post by Ron LaDow »

Kirk,
Tried withe the new addy and got this back instantly:
"SMTP error from remote server for RCPT TO command, host: in1-smtp.messagingengine.com (66.111.4.70) reason: 550 5.1.1 <kir[klli;nrg}com>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual mailbox table"

(I camouflaged the addy in posting here)
It's not the file size, so I'm not sure what to do.

Edit:
Tried another mail test; hasn't bounced back yet.
Let me know if it comes through.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

kirk wilson
356 Fan

#13 Post by kirk wilson »

Ron,

Send me an email via my registry registered email address. A Porsche friend has used this today with no issues.

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#14 Post by Ron LaDow »

We managed to connect, and Kirk has the image.
The rest of you? Well, tough stuff.
I'm told I'm not allowed to gripe about the web site since it's just fine and people work on it and stuff.
So if you find that excuse unacceptable, you might make your comments known to the powers that be.
I expect to get another 'correction' to my comments.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

kirk wilson
356 Fan

#15 Post by kirk wilson »

Posting this on behalf of Ron. De-froster vents from his pre-A Speedster #81109, showing the correct detail for this group of late cars. Thanks for taking the time to photograph them Ron.
Attachments
Defroster Vent 81109.jpg