Owners of late 1955 pre-A Speedsters

For Pre A discussions and questions
Ron LaDow
356 Fan

Re: Owners of late 1955 pre-A Speedsters

#16 Post by Ron LaDow »

Kirk is too kind. He's not posting it in my behalf; he went through the effort to find an image size acceptable to the filters on the web site.
Hey, monitors! Thank Kirk for doing that! I won't.
Added by edit:
The car came from Las Vegas, so rust was minimal (I am 2nd or 3rd owner, bought in '72). The material is 1mm steel, the paint texture is deliberate (a Sherwin Williams product).
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

kirk wilson
356 Fan

#17 Post by kirk wilson »

Any other late pre-A Speedster owners out there who can assist with a template/dimensions etc, i.e. someway of copying a set which are not already installed in a car? The only way to get Ron's set out of the dash is to buy his car!! :wink:

Chad Comeau
356 Fan
Tag: Upstate NY

#18 Post by Chad Comeau »

Mine is 81221 and it has the dividers in the vents.
Chad T. Comeau

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#19 Post by Ron LaDow »

To put another book-end on the issue, my first Speedster had no defroster vents or provisions for same at all.
It was titled as a '55; 1500N, three-piece case, but removable crank seal ring in the timing cover and capillary oil temp sender/gauge.
I will be able to tell you the number; I prefer the looks of the low-bow tops and that car had low-bows. That top frame got moved twice until it ended up on #81109 along about '80 or so. It has the last three digits stamped in the frame, and the first two were "80".
Problem is it's kinda busy at the LaDow scatter just now, so if you don't get info in a month or so, a nudge through the Pre Mat contact page might get some action going.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

kirk wilson
356 Fan

#20 Post by kirk wilson »

Thanks Ron. Be prepared for a 'nudge' in May.

In the meantime, it would be good to hear from any other late 1955 Speedster owners if they can confirm they have these early defroster vents.

Donald Zingg
356 Fan

#21 Post by Donald Zingg »

Ron LaDow wrote:To put another book-end on the issue, my first Speedster had no defroster vents or provisions for same at all.

For a long time I've wondered about when the defroster vents/ duct work were added to the pre-A Speedster. Chassis 80959 is the latest car in my records without defrosters. Chassis 80988 is the earliest Speedster that has defrosters. If you own one of the twenty-eight Speedsters within that range please check your car for w/s defroster vents and share your observation here.

Brian Poulin
356 Fan

#22 Post by Brian Poulin »

I have speedster 80960 and it does not have defroster vents. Hope that helps

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#23 Post by Ron LaDow »

Donald Zingg wrote:Chassis 80988 is the earliest Speedster that has defrosters. If you own one of the twenty-eight Speedsters within that range please check your car for w/s defroster vents and share your observation here.
No help. The top is from #80320 with no defrosters.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Andy Anderson
356 Fan

#24 Post by Andy Anderson »

Donald Zingg wrote:For a long time I've wondered about when the defroster vents/ duct work were added to the pre-A Speedster. Chassis 80959 is the latest car in my records without defrosters. Chassis 80988 is the earliest Speedster that has defrosters. If you own one of the twenty-eight Speedsters within that range please check your car for w/s defroster vents and share your observation here.
Number 80994 had defroster vents. They were steel with open slots and the screws were located on the ends. It was also delivered with a 1600 Normal.

kirk wilson
356 Fan

#25 Post by kirk wilson »

Andy, Thanks for replying/confirming. Any chance of a photo when you have a moment, in order to confirm their design for the record?

Andy Anderson
356 Fan

#26 Post by Andy Anderson »

kirk wilson wrote:Andy, Thanks for replying/confirming. Any chance of a photo when you have a moment, in order to confirm their design for the record?
I sold this car #80994 to Tom Duffy in 2001. I have a file on the car but I am not sure where it is. I will continue to look for it.
The car sold a few weeks ago for €393,360 and I have listed below a link to the auction page. There are pictures showing the defroster vents. I think that picture #8 shows both of the vents. The pictures can be expanded to see some "long range details" including the screw placements on the defroster vents. I restored the car with all the correct parts including the ignition switch which someone has since changed. The headlight grills were also added after I restored the car.
http://www.artcurial.com/en/asp/fullcat ... 3&image=07

kirk wilson
356 Fan

#27 Post by kirk wilson »

Andy, Appreciate the link. Nice looking car and yes, the photos do confirm the early vents with screws facing the driver etc. Ive now just got to find a pre-A in a state of restoration i.e. before the windscreen is installed, in order to get a 3D copy of a pair! Thanks again...