1953 519 Trans Questions

For Pre A discussions and questions
David Green
356 Fan

1953 519 Trans Questions

#1 Post by David Green »

As some of you know from my prior requests for advice, I'm deep into my project to preserve and not restore my mostly original 1953 coupe and am finally at the business end with the engine ready to run on a friend's test stand and just today finished scraping off 40 years of dried grease, fine desert dirt and gunk off the trans case.

Before proceeding further I have a few questions, answers to which I can't find in my parts and service books, and thought I seek the groups help.

1. Drain plugs - The parts book shows three: one on the forward bottom, one one the rear bottom and a third mid-way up on the driver's side. This last is a large diameter plug with a smaller hex-head. Are there three? Is the third to drain an interior cavity? Photo.

2. Fill plug - Am I correct that it is filled through the horizontal plug on the passenger side case bulge? Photo.

3. Case alloy - I have a small hole in the driver's side of the bell-housing that I could probably just leave alone but I have a very talented welder doing some other work and could have him fill the hole. What's the case made of? Also, of interest, it appears from the burr on the inside that the damage might have been caused from the outside and either the case piece or the projectile banged around inside. Opinions for fun? Photo.

4. Input shaft seal - It's at least 40 years old (maybe 45) but appears in good condition and soft. Is there a reason to change it?

5. Ground strap - A nut on the driver side nose piece was partially on its stud but I don't see a corresponding stud on the chassis. Where does it connect to both the case and chassis? Photo

As always, thanks for the advice,
David
PS: I came across some of the original Pasha Red on a bit of wheel well undercoating. Interesting how bright it remained. Photo.
Attachments
IMG_0436.JPG
Trans - Fill Plug, Ground Strap.jpg
Trans Drain Plugs (Red Arrows).jpg
Trans - Hole from Outside.jpg
IMG_0432.JPG

Jacques Lefriant
356 Fan

Re: 1953 519 Trans Questions

#2 Post by Jacques Lefriant »

1 the large plug allows access to the fork bolt
2.yes
4. later VW double lip seal could be good but easy to change
j

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#3 Post by Vic Skirmants »

3. Magnesium. Leave it alone!
5. I think you attach it to the chassis where the front mount attaches.

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#4 Post by James Davies »

4. The case is made of Elektron, a mostly magnesium alloy with ~10% aluminum. It can be welded, but don't bother. Now that you've scraped all the gunk off, do put something on the case to prevent corrosion. VW used a magnesium conversion coating similar to Alodine or Dow coatings today. You can see it inside the bell housing - the gold hue. Wax coatings and a hair drier can work well too.

5. Yes, the ground strap is very short and attaches from the nose cone nut you indicate (right side of car) to the threaded hole in the chassis just in front of it. Just use a large hex bolt of the correct size in the chassis hole. Here's a blurry photo.
Attachments
20141218_40d_3595f copy.jpg

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#5 Post by James Davies »

Btw David, I notice your car still uses the smooth-case 519 transaxle. I had thought Porsche switched to the ribbed one by chassis 50987 (according to factory literature). But looks like they were still putting some of these in cars as late as yours. My 50960 has the smooth case too. Do you happen to know the transaxle number on your car? Should be 18xx. Mine is 1781.

James

David Green
356 Fan

#6 Post by David Green »

Thanks all.

With your help it's now clear that a short ground strap goes from the passenger-side front cover stud to the passenger-side chassis mount bolt on this two bolt single mount.

Jacques: I looked at the usual Porsche and VW parts suppliers and can't find any reference to a "double lip seal". They all seem to sell the same one, p/n 113311113A. Any suggestions on where I can find one?

James: Yes, my smooth case 1878 trans is original to chassis 51015, Aug. 10, 1953. The Stoddard parts website suggests my trans should be a dual mount when it's a single. See below.
I looked into Alodine and read that it's a clear conversion coating that is brushed or sponged on. Other types leave a gold hue. Any idea what the case looked like in 1953?

From Stoddard website -
"There were six different transmission types used through the years on the 356 and these types are referenced for many of the transmission replacement parts we stock. 519 Single Mounts were used in the earliest of Pre-As. This was replaced with the dual mount version after transmission #1099...."

David
Last edited by David Green on Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#7 Post by Vic Skirmants »

"This was replaced with the dual mount version after transmission #1099...."

BIG error; should be 10999. Your transmission is correct with single mount.

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#8 Post by James Davies »

Hi David,

Very cool! It looks like the ribbed cases must have been implemented over a period of a few weeks. My car has smooth case 1781 and it was finished July 27, 1953. Over 100 cars would have been produced in a few weeks. The first ribbed case was 1901, and all subsequent ones were. A car finished Aug 17, 1953 had ribbed case 2001 H4. Yours might be one of the last smooth-case transaxles.

Alodine for magnesium is brush-on and produces a gold/brown change in color to the surface. DOW 19 is also a brush/sponge-on. DOW also makes conversion coatings that require heat and dipping the casting. But for any of these to work, the magnesium needs to be very clean for uniform coverage. Years of oil and grime soaking into the casting's pores prevents this. Usually people completely disassemble the transaxle and hot-tank clean it before doing this. Perhaps you could try your best cleaning regimen and try it on a hidden section of the casting to see how it works. Or perhaps you can use some other products, such as liquid paraffin or oil to preserve it from corrosion.

See photo below of what these 519 transmissions looked like from the factory. That's a 1956-57 dual-mount 519 at the Porsche factory. Over time, the conversion coating changes to a grey color, as it is sacrificial. Your engine case was the same material and same coating. VW certainly didn't intend for these castings to last 60 years or more. =)
Attachments
457202.jpg

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#9 Post by James Davies »

Btw, you should be able to find lots of original Pascha red behind the dashboard. All the defroster ducting and front firewall should be that color, as is the side and rear walls of the front luggage area. Have a peak behind the carpet and tar board insulation. It's a really cool color!

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#10 Post by Vic Skirmants »

James; slight correction. There were no 1957 519 housings. They were pretty much done by mid-1956.

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#11 Post by James Davies »

Thanks for the correction Vic! Didn't realize it was so early in 356A production. According to The Specs, the 644 tunnel case started with coupe 55001 and cabriolet 61001, but that's clearly wrong. Certainly the 519 was used up through 55600 or so. How much later?

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#12 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Our old 55549 had a 519 housing.

Joe Ruiz
356 Fan
Tag: https://www.instagram.com/okrasa/

#13 Post by Joe Ruiz »

James Davies wrote:Hi David,

Very cool! It looks like the ribbed cases must have been implemented over a period of a few weeks. My car has smooth case 1781 and it was finished July 27, 1953. Over 100 cars would have been produced in a few weeks. The first ribbed case was 1901, and all subsequent ones were. A car finished Aug 17, 1953 had ribbed case 2001 H4. Yours might be one of the last smooth-case transaxles.

Alodine for magnesium is brush-on and produces a gold/brown change in color to the surface. DOW 19 is also a brush/sponge-on. DOW also makes conversion coatings that require heat and dipping the casting. But for any of these to work, the magnesium needs to be very clean for uniform coverage. Years of oil and grime soaking into the casting's pores prevents this. Usually people completely disassemble the transaxle and hot-tank clean it before doing this. Perhaps you could try your best cleaning regimen and try it on a hidden section of the casting to see how it works. Or perhaps you can use some other products, such as liquid paraffin or oil to preserve it from corrosion.

See photo below of what these 519 transmissions looked like from the factory. That's a 1956-57 dual-mount 519 at the Porsche factory. Over time, the conversion coating changes to a grey color, as it is sacrificial. Your engine case was the same material and same coating. VW certainly didn't intend for these castings to last 60 years or more. =)
I offer this service for the magnesium 2pc. blocks and also the 519 transmission housing halves. See below: