1953 Start Cable Knob Removal

For Pre A discussions and questions
David Green
356 Fan

1953 Start Cable Knob Removal

#1 Post by David Green »

I'm working on getting my start cable inner wire unstuck after at least 40 years of storage and have it moving, albeit with effort, using a Kroll oil drip into the engine end support higher than the dash end. I may want to remove the wire from the housing to lube its entire length and can't figure out how to remove the knob or knob assembly from the wire end?
Help appreciated,
David
Attachments
Start Knob.JPG

Alan Hall
356 Fan

Re: 1953 Start Cable Knob Removal

#2 Post by Alan Hall »

David,
Basically the knob is not removable. The inner wire comes out of the sheath with the knob attached. But if I were you I would leave it alone as you really never need to use the choke cable, a couple of pumps of the accelerator to start and keep your foot on the gas slightly for warmup.
I had my cable out and had a really hard time feeding it back through the sheath, see the thread "Installing pre-A choke cable" about half way down the page.

Thinking about it I guess you do need to remove the inner cable if you are going to remove the dash for restoration,

Alan

David Green
356 Fan

#3 Post by David Green »

Alan,
Thanks for the reply and good information. While I understand I'll never use it, I'm trying to preserve the car in its original functioning condition so would like the start cable to function. Since I'm not restoring the dash I won't need to remove the cable and now have it moving a little after a few days of my Kroll oil drip so success may be on the horizon.
David
PS: photo of my "custom" oil drip system!
Attachments
IMG_0407.JPG

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#4 Post by James Davies »

Glad the Kroil is working David. If you want to get some lube in from the knob end, the housing can be loosened from the back of the dash, and you could get some in there. Here's a photo of the assembly disassembled. You can see that the knob, square rod and bowden cable are all one piece.

James
Attachments
IMG_7673.JPG

Alan Hall
356 Fan

#5 Post by Alan Hall »

David,
Another thought regarding your tight cable, are you unlocking the cable completely? The locking mechanism is a pinching of the square shaft that is attached to the knob, and it is unlocked by rotating the knob counter clockwise. You might want to check that that mechanism is working correctly to be sure the problem is in the cable and not a dragging on the lock mechanism.
Alan

David Green
356 Fan

#6 Post by David Green »

Good advice all. The Kroll drip worked and now the cable moves in/out albeit with some "extra" friction, but it works. We have some Kroll with Graphite at the shop and I'll next drip it in to free it up a bit more and call it a day.
Thanks,
David