Pre-A Rear Script Question

For Pre A discussions and questions
Bruce Grant
356 Fan

Pre-A Rear Script Question

#1 Post by Bruce Grant »

Is the main Porsche script Gold or Chrome on a 54 Coupe? Is the 1500 Super Script under it supposed to be Gold or Chrome? Thanks for any help... i see both in the pictures on the web, but I need to get it right
'53 Coupe

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

Re: Pre-A Rear Script Question

#2 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Both scripts would be the same color. The "chrome" looking ones are actually aluminum. Someone else should be able to answer your question regarding which color would be appropriate for your car. Do you know on what date your car was built? Chassis number?

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#3 Post by James Davies »

Hi Bruce,

As Vic said, all the scripts on 1954 coupes and cabs were aluminum. Slightly polished. Christer Rye makes perfect reproductions of these. I bet you can't tell which is original and which is the reproduction. =)

All pre-A scripts were aluminum up through late 1954. The Speedsters in late '54 and '55 got the gold scripts. Coupes and cabs continued getting the aluminum ones, though I believe some did get the gold ones also in 1955.

The 1954-55 aluminum scripts had 5 solid posts on the back. A long plate welded to the backside of the bodywork had 5 built-in speed nuts to hold it on.

James
Attachments
IMG_5204.jpg

Bruce Grant
356 Fan

#4 Post by Bruce Grant »

Thanks, all...very helpful feedback in the forum and offline. Expect more posts as i progress. :) Bruce
'53 Coupe

Victor Ingram
356 Fan

#5 Post by Victor Ingram »

Bruce heres a shot on the car, these are original scripts. James is correct in saying the repops are spot on.
Attachments
IMG_1122.jpg