searching parts for a 1952 split cabriolet

For Pre A discussions and questions
Michael Matthijs
356 Fan

searching parts for a 1952 split cabriolet

#1 Post by Michael Matthijs »

Hello,

I am looking for some parts and extra info.

Need to know what kind of glasses were used in the headlights.
Bosch? Curved or straight letters?

shifter lever knob? colour? Picture anyone?

And I still need an original steering wheel with 3 spoke.

Gr,
Michael

Alan Hall
356 Fan

Re: searching parts for a 1952 split cabriolet

#2 Post by Alan Hall »

Regarding the shift lever knob, pretty sure it would have been ivory color and would have been the VW knob of that era. Photo attached is what I believe is the correct knob.
Attachments
IMG_3874.JPG

Jan Kolm
356 Fan

#3 Post by Jan Kolm »

Please go here for a discussion on headlight lenses: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=33980

Both Bosch and Hella were used in 1952. This thread talks mostly about U.S./Canada-market clear lenses, used from 1953-on, but these is some discussion and photos on early fluted lenses.
Jan Kolm
356 Registry #1066
1960 1600N Coupe

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#4 Post by James Davies »

Hi Michael,

Alan's photo show's the '52 shift knob. It's the VW one. These were used on Porsche a bit longer than they were used on VWs. Porsche used them from 1950 through ~April/May 1953. After that they used the 1953+ VW shift knob through mid-'54, when they designed their own knobs. All these pre-mid-1954 knobs were ivory.

1952 Porsches would have had Bosch headlights with adjusting screws at top and the side and with the fluted lenses. I don't have a good photo of the lenses, but they have the Bosch logo and the Bosch name in blackletter, and very little else. Pretty much all period photos of 1952 cars show these lenses, Europe or USA.

In 1950-51 Porsche used fluted Hella headlights for all markets. By 1952 they had switched to Bosch, though Marchal seemed to be spec'ed by the French importer. By late 1952, USA-delivery cars got Hella sealed beam headlights and the rest of the world got Bosch (except for France which continued with Marchal through at least 1954).

Tell us more about your car, and feel free to share photos. We're always happy to learn about another pre-A being saved.

James

Spencer Harris
356 Fan

#5 Post by Spencer Harris »

James Davies wrote: 1952 Porsches would have had Bosch headlights with adjusting screws at top and the side and with the fluted lenses. I don't have a good photo of the lenses, but they have the Bosch logo and the Bosch name in blackletter, and very little else. Pretty much all period photos of 1952 cars show these lenses, Europe or USA. James
These are a European pair for my Nürnberg delivery '53 cabriolet. As James describes: On the face of the lenses the Bosch logo with Bosch in letters. In very small font below: Germany and Import D'Allemagne with three squiggles ^^^. At 5 o'clock a circle A and 1208. Adjustment screws at 12 and 9 o'clock with the Bosch logo and script on top of the bezel. I found these on Samba where there are a handful of European traders who specialize in early VW & Porsche headlights and fog lights.
30DSC_0216.jpg
30DSC_0220.jpg
30DSC_0214.jpg
Spencer Harris
San Joaquin Valley, CA.