Generator removal Pre A

For Pre A discussions and questions
Doug Naef
356 Fan

Generator removal Pre A

#1 Post by Doug Naef »

I am struggling and getting frustrated attempting to remove the generator and doing it without a manual of course! I have read what I can but the information is limited. I have all the obvious loose including the fan housing. I can lift the fan housing maybe a 1/4" to 1/2" on the right side and next to nothing on the left side. Attempting this solo is a challenge. Am I missing something obvious? Any tips from anyone who has done this with the engine in would be greatly appreciated. The one Pillow book I have said little about removal. Thank you

John Brooks
356 Fan

Re: Generator removal Pre A

#2 Post by John Brooks »

Look for a 10mm bolt on the back of the Schrod by the oil cooler.
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#3 Post by Martin Benade »

You removed a total of 6 6mm bolts from the shroud, one on each side be the carbs, and 2 on the front and 2 on the rear? Hopefully you have a three-piece case so the generator stand can be removed.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#4 Post by Vic Skirmants »

If you have the early carbs with the cross-linkage, did you unhook the through-the-shroud throttle linkage?

Dan Epperly
356 Fan

#5 Post by Dan Epperly »

Assuming you have the glorified 36 hp VW case with the fixed generator stand, you can pull the generator by raising the shroud about an inch. Sometimes the shroud hangs up on the oil cooler you just have to wiggle it. You then stick some chunks of wood tween the shroud and cylinder tins to keep the shroud up so you can remove the four bolts holding the generator plate to the shroud. You then pull the generator back and tilt it so the top of the fan becomes visible and then tilt some more till it pops out then tilt the opposite way till it is out.
The other way is to reach around the back and remove the nut holding the fan to the generator. This leaves the fan in the shroud and the generator comes out separately. You can leave the fan in there and just reverse the process on reinstalling.

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#6 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Removing the fan nut is really difficult with the screen in place. :wink:

Dan Epperly
356 Fan

#7 Post by Dan Epperly »

Vic Skirmants wrote:Removing the fan nut is really difficult with the screen in place. :wink:

That's why they make tin snips.

Doug Naef
356 Fan

#8 Post by Doug Naef »

Thank you all for the suggestions. I will have at it tomorrow. It is a very original 1500S 2 piece case with the screen on the back of the shroud. I was wondering about the linkage going through and did not look for any 10mm on the back side. Will let you know tomorrow. Thanks again

Doug Naef
356 Fan

#9 Post by Doug Naef »

Successful mission. I got the two screws from the back of the housing and another hidden under the linkage in front. It took some patience and "adaptive tools" to get the two from the back. They are very challenging to say the least. Thank you all for the advice and pointers. I have all of Charlie White's manuals on order. Thanks again, Doug