Upholstery stuff found when dismantling our '55

For Pre A discussions and questions
Vincent Gillespie
356 Fan

Upholstery stuff found when dismantling our '55

#1 Post by Vincent Gillespie »

Hello, thought it might be useful to post pictures of what we found when we were dismantling our '55. From the various nails, staples and other fixings that looked entirely unmolested I believe this is as she left the factory.
I hope you can follow these descriptions of the photos;
Felt behind gas tank including a close up and the grommets that go through the firewall.
Tab to hold down the front of gear tunnel carpet, one each side.
2nd fibreboard panel, shows the cotton wrap over edging glued to the top edge as far as the 'ears', the under layer of 'chopped up coir glued to the actual firewall. The vynal covered fibreboard is on top of this panel.
Wider shot shows various areas covered by finely chopped up coir and blue/black felt.
Remnants of cellular sponge under gear link cover glued on with what looked like rubber solution, basically dust once scrapped off! Felt stuck with rubber solution to the underside of the aluminium gear tunnel cover. This is similar in texture to blue/black felt used elsewhere but finer.
3 photos of the vynal quarter panels, general view, a close up of the vynal/blueblack felt/cotton retaining sheet/ fibreboard retaining strip 'sandwich' and the size of the fibreboard strip
Finally the vynal covered fibreboard also shows the strip of cotton wrapped over the top edge to the 'ears', same as the under board, and the blue black felt. So the sandwich is fibreboard/felt/vynal.
I don't know what others think but I don't think modern upholstery padding replicates the feel of the coir and blue black felt.
Hope this is of some use.
V
Attachments
KCT 550 REMOVAL FELT BEHIND TANK 009.jpg
KCT 550 REMOVAL FELT BEHIND TANK 001.jpg
ALL KCT PICTURES ON CAMERA NOV 2015  BACK UP 041.jpg
ROWING WALTON SBH & 356 DISMANTLING 043.jpg
ROWING WALTON SBH & 356 DISMANTLING 039.jpg
KCT ENGINE TIN & 1 PIC OF SOUND DEADENING 010.JPG
044.JPG
043.JPG
042.JPG
FIREWALL INSULATION 027.JPG
V. Gillespie

Spencer Harris
356 Fan

Re: Upholstery stuff found when dismantling our '55

#2 Post by Spencer Harris »

Vincent Gillespie wrote:Hope this is of some use.
V
Very good autopsy Vincent. Thanks for sharing this documentation.
Spencer Harris
San Joaquin Valley, CA.