Doors started to not shut properly !

For Pre A discussions and questions
JohnLiles
356 Fan

Doors started to not shut properly !

#1 Post by JohnLiles »

Car is a 55 Continental , it is outlaw but I believe doors and locks are original . Not had it long , doors used to shut and latch fine , now the drivers door is playing up , just bounces and latches in a semi closed position with door rattling .

I did try squirting WD40 at the movable latch on the door , did not make a significant difference . My garage man squirted some Wurth lubricant on the pocket mounted below the door lock that catches the lug on the door below the door lock , door then closed fine if you were closing it firmly from the outside , but not if you were pulling on the handle mounted on the inside door trim.

As the sealing rubbers have not been touched or replaced , and all used to work fine , I suspect it is the door lock mechanism . It does not appear to be broken as it will stil work with a firm push from the outside

Any ideas as to remedies ??

Thanks In Advance
1957 'A' and 1955 'Continental Outlaw'

Spencer Harris
356 Fan

Re: Doors started to not shut properly !

#2 Post by Spencer Harris »

John,
I would try adjusting the striker plate which can get pushed back toward the cabin over time. Hopefully you can slide the plate slightly toward the outside to make the latch work without changing the door gaps too drastically. Also check the rubber component to confirm that a section has not chunked off.
56 10BO.jpg
Spencer Harris
San Joaquin Valley, CA.

JohnLiles
356 Fan

#3 Post by JohnLiles »

Thanks Spencer , will try that next time I get to see the car , which will not be for a couple of weeks , but I will let you know if that solves it .
Sounds logical , back in the mid 70s I now remember adjusting one of those plates on a 356B when I had the tools ( big Phillips head screwdriver) and the original workshop manuals with the colourful modern art covers .
1957 'A' and 1955 'Continental Outlaw'

Donald Zingg
356 Fan

#4 Post by Donald Zingg »

Also check and make sure the door hinge bolts are tight.

Victor Ingram
356 Fan

#5 Post by Victor Ingram »

John I had the same issue and found it to be part of the rubber gasket that seals the door to the body had come loose so the door would not seat all of the way. It took a while to find it because when the door was shut I could not see it.
Just a thought,

Spencer Harris
356 Fan

#6 Post by Spencer Harris »

Good points from Donald & Victor, and I would certainly check these items first and then look into adjusting the striker plate.
Another page from the '56 workshop manual that may be applicable.
Striker Plate.jpg
Spencer Harris
San Joaquin Valley, CA.