tool kits?

For Pre A discussions and questions
Rick Albro
356 Fan

tool kits?

#1 Post by Rick Albro »

I know that Alan Hall had some good photos of a variety of tool kit bags. Most early kits have a few problems including mine (50199). One usually acquires considerable trading fodder in the pursuit of a complete kit. There was a wonderful link posted about a year or so ago to original catalogs for Hazet wrenches... There were a couple of good articles by Jim Perrin a couple of years ago... volume 22 #8 and the next one...and lets not forget Eric's site http://www.356tools.com/

Picture 1 shows a few data points for consideration. All early bags have some degree of uncertainty. This post is not definitive but added to start a discussion and hopefully increase our knowledge of these early kits. 11237 would seem to be a 1951 model year, the tool kit shown from Thomas Birch's site is probably from a 1950 car(?), 12317 is a known kit from an American Roadster and shows the windshield post plugs. The extra pockets of 11237 probably contained spare parts such as a fuse kit, light bulbs, extra valve adjustment screw and possibly lock nut. The owners manual that I have for 50199 does not mention a tool kit. Ned's bag is probably a late 53 or 54, and Victor Ingram's bag is a good example of a 56 tool kit. The tool kit depicted in the article provided by Donald Zingg is difficult to see but appears to be a six pocket bag on the flap, this is consistent with the bag from 11237 and since the article was published in January of 1952 would be a 1951 tool bag.

Lug nuts probably Bauer and Schaurte were tied to the speed wrench with a strap of leather. Bauer & Schaurte lug nuts were hard chrome plated or industrial chrome plated. This is a different finish from show chrome or other finishes... more of an engineered finish.

A nice touch for the early kits is to add the Hazet 2 3 wrench as an accent to the shop towel or to the tie strap. The 2 3 wrench comes in either a capital A or a small a similarly to the other wrenches the small a is the earlier version.

Accessory lights were initially kept in the tool roll but later migrated to the glove box.
Attachments
accessory light.jpg
early and late.jpg
Bauer und Schaurte.jpg
Picture1.jpg
IMG_6955.JPG
olio.jpg
variety.jpg
IMG_7519.JPG
IMG_7190.JPG
Last edited by Rick Albro on Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:11 pm, edited 11 times in total.

Victor Ingram
356 Fan

Re: tool kits?

#2 Post by Victor Ingram »

This toolkit is for my July build 55 cabriolet, it took me well over a couple of years to assemble & restore. Some tools were more easily obtainable then others and some I paid a "kings ransom" to secure. A lot of members choose to leave the tools as found but I chose to have them restored with the correct patina as new. Just a personal choice. The most uncommon part of this toolkit is the jack, this car was going through a transition time with Porsche so the jack was an interim style jack. It is 18 3/8's inches long as opposed to the 20 3/8's inches long. Also the end that inserts into the jack spur has no re-enforcement or "ski slope" like the 56 and later cars had. You can check the clips that secure the jack to see what your car came with in order to see what is correct for your car. If you have larger clips your car would need the Vigot Bilstein jack.
Highlights of the kit are the two-toned bag, original tire gauge pouch with Prym snap and 50 year old Guarantee tag. The most difficult tools to find were the screwdrivers. 55 cars had only slotted screws so I only had to hunt down 2 drivers, the 56 kits had the addition of phillips head screwdriver.
The HAZET spark plug wrench is also a difficult tool to find, as you can see the word Hazet runs vertical with the shape of the wrench. The spanners or open end wrenches have the "L" under the word Hazet they are at times easier to find then the spark plug wrench.
The two-toned bag was also typical of 55, this one I assembled from 2 bags. Both bags had good and bad qualities so I painstakingly took them apart and hand sewed them back together to make one nice bag. Not for the weak of heart, once I took then apart I was committed, or some might say "should have been committed".
The vintage generator belt with original Continental sleeve was a detail that I took liberties with for display, besides the belts leave marks on the bag if they get warm enough.
For correctness and attention to detail I had Victor Miles do all of the wrenches, the Mesko gauge and the screwdrivers. IMO he does outstanding work and he has also helped me with a lot of brightwork that has helped me bring my car to a high level of restoration.
Attachments
IMG_0890.jpg

Ned Gorski
356 Fan

#3 Post by Ned Gorski »

Got this tool kit at an estate auction it has a blue pair of plies,along with some early owners manuals... guessing this is kit was in a mid to late 53 or so??? .. one of the manuals is for a two gauge dash car kind of cool.

Regards Ned
Attachments
dash  pre a man.JPG
tool kit 4.JPG

Rick Albro
356 Fan

#4 Post by Rick Albro »

Thanks both Victor and Ned, both of you have help me immensely! It would seem that the large black screwdriver is a Brustle Werkzeuge #5 ... those are hard to find indeed! The pliers for the early kits should indeed have blue handles. This is also mentioned in Jim Perrin's registry articles on pre A tool kits a few years back volume 22 number 6 and number 8! Thanks Jim for the wonderful descriptions done in 1999.

...wow if I try to line up the "5" I can see that your image was taken at a bit of angle but there still seems to be a slight difference in the fonts perhaps these are early and late versions... I can not link my screw driver to a chassis number or date and you mentioned yours came dissociated with a car also. This screwdriver also comes in a red handled version but I think only the black one was used in PORSCHE tool kits. This large black screwdriver seems to have been used through 1953. (10 pocket, 8 pocket and the first vinyl bags) The 1950 and possibly the early 51 kits may have contained a "tyre lever" Hazet 650-12, this large black screwdriver would also have functioned as a means to change a tube type tire. The function of the hammer is likely to "break the bead" in order to change the tire. I could not find anything on the Brustle hand tool company operating anywhere in Europe in the 1950's. Jim Perrin's description indicates there is no writing on the large black screwdriver, there has been discussion that this screwdriver was restored at one point as the black paint was much better on inspection than in earlier photos. I think this only shows how difficult early tool kits are to obtain with certain originality.

There are two stubbies in the early ten pocket kits (-July 1953): a red stubby and a blonde stubby. The blonde stubby seems to have a 6mm shaft and a finer tip profile for the smaller size screws on electrical switches and the like. Blonde stubbies are seen through the 1954 kits but the change is not clear. The red stubby has a 7mm shaft and a deeper more coarse tip profile perhaps to fit larger screws like adjusting the carburetors or the sheet metal screws in the engine compartment. The red and blonde stubbies have different bezels with the blonde bezel being slightly smaller in diameter and deepth. Many of these early stubbies have either one or two dimples; some have none or the dimple was a very light impression. Both stubbies seem to be somewhere between 88 and 90 mm in length. The shaft is hardened tool steel where as the bezel is mild steel. The handles were hickory and turned on a lathe. There are eight flutes on the handle radially spaced around the handle. The finish is a clear transparent finish with the wood grain visible.
Attachments
stubbies.jpg
stubbys.jpg
jim perrin's description.jpg
jim perrin's description.jpg (27.69 KiB) Viewed 7288 times
IMG_7028.JPG
werkzeuge.jpg
Brustle werkzeuge.jpg
Last edited by Rick Albro on Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:56 am, edited 8 times in total.

Ned Gorski
356 Fan

#5 Post by Ned Gorski »

mine is a #5 also i have the screwdriver sitting on my shelf... i replaced the #5 with a circle 7 and the blue handle pliers with a black set. and the 2 piece case fan belt with a white label continental Porsche fan belt and now the tool kit sits in my 55 cab. :)
Attachments
tolol kit 3.JPG

Rick Albro
356 Fan

#6 Post by Rick Albro »

some other relevant posts are:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=37927&p=229547&hili ... ts#p229547
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=37875&p=229080&hili ... ts#p229080
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=36911&view=previous
http://www.hazet.de/de/home/my-hazet/ha ... -historie/ thanks to Alan Buchert
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=38296
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=44978
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=44411
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=45519
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=48339
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=31275
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=50722&start=15

Jim Perrin's description on Eric Cherneff's site
Paterak tool kit
The tool kit has two screw drivers, which John said are both original. The handle of the long black-handle screwdriver has two pairs of flutes, or a total of four flutes. Each pair is on a pair of curved surfaces that are 180 degrees from each other. The third and fourth sides are curved with no flutes. The handle is shaped such that it blends down into a round cross section at the point where it contacts the metal ferrule (similar to the screw driver handle shown in the January 1952 "Auto" road test, Naïve's 1950 coupe, and to Rauskolb's 1951 coupe. The top end of the handle is fairly rounded. John said that the handle still has the original paint on it, which is a flat or satin black rather than a gloss black; however, based on the as-found photos I believe John would have had to repaint the handle. The shank had a little discoloration, which John sanded. The shank has no writing on it, and runs all the way through the handle to the end of it. It has a v-shaped tip, and the tip is relatively narrow.

The speed wrenches also show a considerably amount of finer detail. The earlier wrenches seem to have an under line "L" like the 450 wrenches. The 1952 catalog shows a different style of hub cap puller. This is the Hazet 772/1 wrench as opposed to the 772/2 wrench with the pin type hub cap puller. Many varieties exist that are lose and have no connection to a given car or year of use. The underline "L" without GERMANY is consistent with the 1952 catalog image suggesting that is the earlier version. This progression would seem consistent with the patenting process in place during this time frame. Probably dating the change from underline "L" and adding GERMANY to about 52-53 and using a straight line between about 53-56 when "Angem" was dropped and the existing stock of wrenches had been dispensed in tool kits. The patent was issued on June 3, 1954.

A few notes on German patents:
Notice that for the Hazet 772/2 evolution the D.P. angem, then the locality of Germany is added then D.B.P, whereas the Messko gauge goes from “Ballon” to D.B-pat. U. GM.
D. P. angem is Deutsche patent pending or a local German patent pending; this is the first step in the process. Germany D. P. angem implies a German patent is pending similar to a federal patent pending from a local patent. This would be the second step in the process. D.B.P. is Deutsche Bundes patent, or a German Federal Patent. This completes the process and affords 20 years of protection. D.B.-Pat. U. GM, or 'Deutsches Bundes und Gebrauchsmuster is a legally registered federal patent giving ten years protection. The D. B. designation was uniquely issued after October of 1952; therefore, both the Hazet 772 wrench and the Messko tire gauge with such markings were likely later than October of 1952. The D.B. designation could have been used as early as 1949 for items patented in 1949 and later, for items patented up to 1949 the old designation of D.R.P could have been used until October of 1952. Of distinction is the designation of Und Gebrauchsmuster; this implies the difference between protections of the process and methods and the final product or item being protected. U. GM means that the Messko tire pressure gauges were protected as the product for ten years whereas the Hazet 772 wrench further protected the process and method of the wrench such as the handle that spins for 20 years.

Hammers in pre A tool kits were 300 grams and either made by Jorg or Peddinghuas. Peddinghuas hammers were stamped with “300” and the Peddinghuas gear logo. Jorg hammers had the Jorg logo above the mass of “300”. The hammerheads were finished in black paint. The handles were up to 300mm in length and made from either ash or hickory to DIN standard 5111. The purpose of the hammer was to break the beads of the tube type tires, stress relief and other impactful duties.
headsortails.jpg
headsortails.jpg (183.47 KiB) Viewed 3914 times
stickers.jpg
stickers.jpg (197.7 KiB) Viewed 3914 times
fonts and picas.jpg
fonts and picas.jpg (132.08 KiB) Viewed 3914 times
Attachments
DE000000912800B_all_pages.pdf
(194.7 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
logos evolve.jpg
Hazet 772_1.jpg
Messko Hauser.jpg
Evolution of logo.jpg
52 catalog.jpg
Hazet L.jpg
Last edited by Rick Albro on Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:59 pm, edited 16 times in total.

Donald Zingg
356 Fan

#7 Post by Donald Zingg »

Here is the photo from Auto Speed and Sport magazine, January 1952, showing the contents of the early tool kit - - - - - -

--------------
Attachments
A.S.& S01-52.jpg

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#8 Post by James Davies »

Great photo Don. Thanks for sharing. One can see the carpet covering the trunk area on this Reutter cabriolet too.

David Green
356 Fan

#9 Post by David Green »

Is there anything special about the 9/11 Stahlwille box wrench? Is it just a modern wrench that ended up in my tool kit?
David
Attachments
Wrenches.JPG

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#10 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Modern

Victor Ingram
356 Fan

#11 Post by Victor Ingram »

Old thread, old generator belt
Cool old Generator belt that a 1950's Porsche shared with a John Deere and International Harvester, etc.
Sorry I tried to flip the pictures with no success.
Attachments
IMG_2297.jpg
IMG_2298.jpg
IMG_2295.jpg
IMG_2303.jpg

John Hearn
356 Fan
Tag: Porsche is a two sylable word!

#12 Post by John Hearn »

Funny how a German company miss spelt Porsche.........
KTF
John

Victor Ingram
356 Fan

#13 Post by Victor Ingram »

Good catch John....