New Door Lock set

For Pre A discussions and questions
Gary Leong
356 Fan

New Door Lock set

#1 Post by Gary Leong »

Has anyone purchased and fitted these repro Door Lock sets? Feedback?
Our '54 Cab (Louise) is missing the passenger door lock cylinder, so we need one, but may be required to buy a new pair.
If anyone has an orphan lock they wish to sell, please let me know.
Cheers
Gary
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_1412.jpeg

Gary Leong
356 Fan

Re: New Door Lock set

#2 Post by Gary Leong »

So, has no-one bought one of these sets?
Are they too expensive? Does the quality fall short of the mark?
I’m keen to learn of your experiences.

Cheers
Gary

Rick Albro
356 Fan

#3 Post by Rick Albro »

perhaps some people will find this a suitable alternative, but for over $1000 most people will want something that resembles an original part.
sierra madre.jpg
sierra madre.jpg (16.07 KiB) Viewed 373 times
there has been considerable discussion on the cylinders and buttons that you show. Making parts and especially preA door handle parts is not trivial. It is easy to criticize other peoples work it is less easy to make a better part.
parts defined.jpg
Handle ID.jpg
cylinder1.jpg
wax.jpg
handle.jpg
Making the parts is only part of the project as the real issue is in getting the part plated so that they function when done. Every plating shop can make the parts look good however making the parts look good and having the parts be within tolerance is a challenge. The lock cylinders have a lot of edges and a great variety of current densities exist on the surface of the lock cylinder during the plating process. Higher current densities translates to thicker plating. The top level here is that if a cylinder starts off being round and free of taper that by time the cylinder is plated the dimensions will all be different. The lock cylinders do not readily lend themselves to being plating with other larger items. Meaning that to get these parts plated well they require a considerable amount of special care. Even with great care almost every set needs a considerable amount of fitting and clearancing after the part returns from the platers... Platers are under a great deal of pressure to meet environmental criteria and develop new processes that are more friendly. Making these part is labor intensive and the cost to break even makes these very expensive. Given that the total market is small and the investment to make these is large the pay back is not there - this is not a good business deal. This project is only done as a labor of love because it is the right thing to do.

This post shows the front of the locks are likely a desk drawer lock assembly adapted to the lock cylinders... viewtopic.php?t=40760
Last edited by Rick Albro on Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Harlan Halsey
356 Fan

#4 Post by Harlan Halsey »

Gary,
There may be an alternative for you. I modified T1 handles to accept newer cylinders, using cylinders from Stoddard. The details are in WCSTA -06-56 T1.

Rick Albro
356 Fan

#5 Post by Rick Albro »

Harlan's point is valid. The link to his previous post is
viewtopic.php?t=38752&start=60
about half way down on page 5. I have done several handles similar to Harlan's method, and I have tried to do better. There is as with all projects a balance of cost, time, money, and experience. The even cheaper way is to use later style handles and not worry about the differences... many people do this until they have restored everything else and want to continually refine the ever elusive last part. The advantage is, I'll bet, that Harlan probably now has a much greater understanding of his door handles... the authenticity police will likely be unhappy but anyone who has put in the effort to try this at home will offer their support and Kudos at least for the effort. Using the later style door handles is the route of least effort and is functional until the door handles raise in priority and are at or near the last part of the project. After restoring a car and spending an investment on everything else the cost of the very last part does not matter. Maybe that last part is the door handles, maybe a rare accessory... tool kit... etc.. getting caught up in the process is easy, stepping back and making good decision is less so. Be passionate, make good decisions, finish the project, keep the faith!

Gary Leong
356 Fan

#6 Post by Gary Leong »

Thanks for your replies, Rick and Harlan.

Sorting through the door parts, I found a new pair of T2 door locks and assume that the late owner (who was an accomplished engineer) had intentions to do exactly what you have done.
I contemplated how this might be achieved and you have confirmed and detailed the procedure. Thanks!!! Looks straight forward.
The driver's door has the original handle and lock with amazingly excellent chrome. The passenger door handle has equally excellent chrome but will have the modified T2 lock fitted, and the internals won't be visible.
Not sure if it will be possible to key both of the locks the same. I may be able to swap the tumblers from the spare T2 lock - but will they fit?

Anyway, thanks gentlemen - another puzzle solved. As well as money saved to use in other areas.
I'll report back when the job is done.

Gary

Rick Albro
356 Fan

#7 Post by Rick Albro »

For the same amount of effort and cost you can get and restore originals so taking this short cut is only worth the effort for your own experience and knowledge. The keys are different and not exchangeable.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/382904629333?f ... R7TDkaSuYw
conversion 1.jpg
conversion 2.jpg
conversion 3.jpg
conversion 4.jpg
conversion 5.jpg
conversion 6.jpg
conversion 7.jpg
Conversion 8.jpg
conversion 9.jpg
conversion 10.jpg

Rick Albro
356 Fan

#8 Post by Rick Albro »

Here is a mismatched set one early and one 57 only handle. Whereas these may not be the correct set for your car they would make good trading fodder for when you do find the right handles...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/134052724252?h ... R47vpqSuYw

Victor Ingram
356 Fan

#9 Post by Victor Ingram »

Gary,
I would ask Rick if he has a set, his work is exceptional
Victor

Trevor Gates
356 Fan

#10 Post by Trevor Gates »

This thread reminds me, I need to send you an email Rick.
Attachments
IMG_5755.jpeg
https://www.instagram.com/trevorcgates/