Pre A tool kit Question

For Pre A discussions and questions
Greg Bryan
356 Fan

Re: Pre A tool kit Question

#16 Post by Greg Bryan »

Please note that I moved this topic to the Pre-A Corner forum.
Greg Bryan

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#17 Post by James Davies »

From both Jim Perrin's articles and examples from other kits, the grey, 7-pocket bag with no extra pockets on the upper flap was in use by mid-1954. One of the first cars with horn grills which still exists still has its original kit, and this is the type it has. No hammer.

The grey bag with 8 pockets plus the pockets on the flap was used from mid-1953 through mid-1954-ish.

So yeah, no hammer on toolkits for cars with horn grills, roughly.

And yeah Rob, from mid-1954 through ~1956, the kit is essentially unchanged, except for a couple details on the stampings of the Hazet socket and speed wrench and maybe the Messko gauge. As Jim Perrin suggests in his article on 356A kits in Registry Magazine vol 24 #1.

A note on the D.B.Angem marking: the 1953 and earlier wrenches don't have "GERMANY" stamped before D.B.Angem. By 1955, they do, according to Jim Perrin's reporting on the original 1955 kits.

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#18 Post by Jim Liberty »

Thanks for the clarification James. I'll go with you're commentary. Don't share my post with anyone please. ....................Jim.
Jim Liberty

Rob DuBerry
356 Fan

#19 Post by Rob DuBerry »

Thanks for the answers guys,

I assume the Pre A speedsters still came with a fuel tank dip stick, did these vary much over the years.
Where these always wooden, I have seen some old metal versions but questioned whether they were original.

Thanks Rob