continental for sale on the BAT and continental list

For Pre A discussions and questions
Message
Author
jim wayman
356 Fan
Posts: 77
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:48 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: continental for sale on the BAT and continental list

#16 Post by jim wayman » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:59 am

I would post a photo, but have never figured out how to attach one.
Jim Wayman

User avatar
Spencer Harris
356 Fan
Posts: 602
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:58 pm
Location: Southern San Joaquin Valley, California

Re: continental for sale on the BAT and continental list

#17 Post by Spencer Harris » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:31 pm

jim wayman wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:59 am
I would post a photo, but have never figured out how to attach one.
Rather than hijack this thread on the BAT auction even further, I've added some screen shots to Barry Brisco's 2011 post on how to post photos:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=26523

My post in PDF format here:
Start by clicking Post Reply.pdf
(727.1 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
Spencer Harris
San Joaquin Valley, CA.

User avatar
gregorycampbell
356 Fan
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:39 am

Re: continental for sale on the BAT and continental list

#18 Post by gregorycampbell » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:34 pm

Here is my Kardex. It doesn't mention continental but the script holes are there.
Attachments
kardex 54187 GC.pdf
(129.07 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
Gregory Campbell
'60 Roadster, Outlaw
'67 Double Cab, Porschwagen
'18 904 w/ faux cam
'55 Speedster, Devin bodied Racer
'64 Elva Porsche
'64 Coupe, RHD Racer
'62 Single Cab, Volkshauler
'57 ghia, Porschized rally car
'55 Sunroof, Outlaw

george kehler
356 Fan
Posts: 283
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:24 am
Location: johnson city, tn

Re: continental for sale on the BAT and continental list

#19 Post by george kehler » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:30 am

Does the stamping on the engine seem off ?? No stars ?? I am not an expert on early engines but my original engine has them. I looked at the Ingram car that is the 21st Continental built and it appears to have the similar engine stamping as the auction car. But the photo is taken from a distance. There is actually a thread about this very change to two stars later in the 1955 engine build. So should be correct. This site is full of useful info !!
Attachments
3572B79D-0229-495C-ABDD-205DA56ADECA.jpeg
3572B79D-0229-495C-ABDD-205DA56ADECA.jpeg (2.87 MiB) Viewed 325 times
Last edited by george kehler on Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.
George Kehler II

1955 Coupe
1971 911 S
1997 993 Targa

User avatar
Vic Skirmants
356 Registry Member
Posts: 7155
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:02 pm
Location: SE Michigan

Re: continental for sale on the BAT and continental list

#20 Post by Vic Skirmants » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:07 am

The engine stamping is the strange one that is stamped partially into the case AND the generator stand. Is yours stamped that way, but with stars?
OK, now I see the photo.
Last edited by Vic Skirmants on Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

jim wayman
356 Fan
Posts: 77
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:48 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: continental for sale on the BAT and continental list

#21 Post by jim wayman » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:16 am

Mine is also stamped across the seam with no stars. I have complete service records from new and no engine change. Number matches cardex.
Jim Wayman

User avatar
Spencer Harris
356 Fan
Posts: 602
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:58 pm
Location: Southern San Joaquin Valley, California

Re: continental for sale on the BAT and continental list

#22 Post by Spencer Harris » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:03 pm

gregorycampbell wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:34 pm
Here is my Kardex. It doesn't mention continental but the script holes are there.
December 28, 1955 - this late in the year, your car may have been badged as a European.
According to this research article by Eric Cherneff, Bruce Coen and Barry Lee Brisco, "...Porsche changed the name to "European" for the 1956 model year (production of which began in the fall of 1955)…"
https://porsche356registry.org/article/229
Spencer Harris
San Joaquin Valley, CA.

User avatar
Spencer Harris
356 Fan
Posts: 602
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:58 pm
Location: Southern San Joaquin Valley, California

Re: continental for sale on the BAT and continental list

#23 Post by Spencer Harris » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:24 pm

george kehler wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:30 am
Does the stamping on the engine seem off ?? No stars ?? I am not an expert on early engines but my original engine has them. I looked at the Ingram car that is the 21st Continental built and it appears to have the similar engine stamping as the auction car. But the photo is taken from a distance. There is actually a thread about this very change to two stars later in the 1955 engine build. So should be correct. This site is full of useful info !!
Single star on my original 1500 engine. Invoice date on Kardex May 10, '55.
Star SN.JPG
Star SN.JPG (111.55 KiB) Viewed 307 times
Spencer Harris
San Joaquin Valley, CA.

User avatar
gregorycampbell
356 Fan
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:39 am

Re: continental for sale on the BAT and continental list

#24 Post by gregorycampbell » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:40 pm

Are there some "European" models which are PreA's? Or are they all "A's"
Gregory Campbell
'60 Roadster, Outlaw
'67 Double Cab, Porschwagen
'18 904 w/ faux cam
'55 Speedster, Devin bodied Racer
'64 Elva Porsche
'64 Coupe, RHD Racer
'62 Single Cab, Volkshauler
'57 ghia, Porschized rally car
'55 Sunroof, Outlaw

User avatar
ThibautBoey
356 Fan
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:16 pm
Tag: Thibaut
Location: Europe

Re: continental for sale on the BAT and continental list

#25 Post by ThibautBoey » Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:58 pm

gregorycampbell wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:34 pm
Here is my Kardex. It doesn't mention continental but the script holes are there.
Hi Gregory, many thanks!

I'm already at 57 continentals so far. :)
Last edited by ThibautBoey on Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thibaut,

Looking for engine #35176

User avatar
ThibautBoey
356 Fan
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:16 pm
Tag: Thibaut
Location: Europe

Re: continental for sale on the BAT and continental list

#26 Post by ThibautBoey » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:03 pm

Spencer Harris wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:24 pm
george kehler wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:30 am
Does the stamping on the engine seem off ?? No stars ?? I am not an expert on early engines but my original engine has them. I looked at the Ingram car that is the 21st Continental built and it appears to have the similar engine stamping as the auction car. But the photo is taken from a distance. There is actually a thread about this very change to two stars later in the 1955 engine build. So should be correct. This site is full of useful info !!
Single star on my original 1500 engine. Invoice date on Kardex May 10, '55.

Star SN.JPG
George,
See here some interesting reading 546/2 pre a motors numbers.
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=43046&sid=d40c52aa ... 65c55efe9c
Thibaut,

Looking for engine #35176

User avatar
ThibautBoey
356 Fan
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:16 pm
Tag: Thibaut
Location: Europe

Re: continental for sale on the BAT and continental list

#27 Post by ThibautBoey » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:09 pm

Spencer Harris wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:03 pm
gregorycampbell wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:34 pm
Here is my Kardex. It doesn't mention continental but the script holes are there.
December 28, 1955 - this late in the year, your car may have been badged as a European.
According to this research article by Eric Cherneff, Bruce Coen and Barry Lee Brisco, "...Porsche changed the name to "European" for the 1956 model year (production of which began in the fall of 1955)…"
https://porsche356registry.org/article/229
The chassis number is pre a and I suspect it stayed in the factory until December and then left the factory.
Thibaut,

Looking for engine #35176

User avatar
ThibautBoey
356 Fan
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:16 pm
Tag: Thibaut
Location: Europe

Re: continental for sale on the BAT and continental list

#28 Post by ThibautBoey » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:26 pm

gregorycampbell wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:40 pm
Are there some "European" models which are PreA's? Or are they all "A's"
European's are A cars end of 55 and early 56.
Thibaut,

Looking for engine #35176

Martin Bruechle
356 Fan
Posts: 370
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:41 am
Location: So Cal

Re: continental for sale on the BAT and continental list

#29 Post by Martin Bruechle » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:22 pm

Sold $112,000. I'd say fair price ?
Or is that a good price with the docs and matching numbers ?

Martin Bruechle
356 Fan
Posts: 370
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:41 am
Location: So Cal

Re: continental for sale on the BAT and continental list

#30 Post by Martin Bruechle » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:24 pm

Sold $112,000. I'd say fair price ?
Or is that a good price with the docs and matching numbers ?

Post Reply