two piece case

For Pre A discussions and questions
Mark Todorovich
356 Fan
Tag: Drive em

two piece case

#1 Post by Mark Todorovich »

I just drained the oil on our 52 for the first time in a many years after a rebuild. Its actually a 53 1500 , but still Porsche(11438) and a two piece case. I thought I had a supply of the oil screen gaskets. Only one correct one and two that don't fit. I can't find replacements at the usual suspects. Suggestions?
I was just offered a 36 horse VW longblock for a great price. What are the big differences?
Thanks for the help.
Mark
Mark Todorovich 4243
52 Coupe
56 Speedster project now underway
63 Cab?

Tony Proasi
Classifieds Moderator

Re: two piece case

#2 Post by Tony Proasi »

Wolfsburg west has what you need. You need the oil screen gaskets for a 36hp VW.

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#3 Post by Martin Benade »

I think the 36 hp block is essentially the same once you line-bore it to the Porsche diameter and add the oil filter return line fitting. The internals are mostly not interchangeable.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Spencer Harris
356 Fan

#4 Post by Spencer Harris »

Martin Benade wrote:I think the 36 hp block is essentially the same once you line-bore it to the Porsche diameter and add the oil filter return line fitting. The internals are mostly not interchangeable.
The VW case is held together with case studs (pictured) and the Porsche case utilizes through-bolts. Walt at CE made new through-bolts for my 2-pcs case, and I think he was able to modify 3-pcs bolts for this purpose.
40CIMG8065.jpg
Spencer Harris
San Joaquin Valley, CA.