Auto Prime hose issue

Vendor announcements of new 356 products, product changes, recalls, requests for product feedback, or changes to their business.
Ron LaDow
356 Fan

Auto Prime hose issue

#1 Post by Ron LaDow »

Got a note from a customer. On fitting the Auto Prime, he had an issue with sealing the fuel hose at a particular location (red arrow). It wept fuel.
6th Hose Calmp.JPG
On checking, a pretty new reel of fuel hose, nominally 5/16” (identified by “01-26-18” printed on the hose at about 18” intervals) is a MUCH looser fit on the metallic fuel tubes than two others in stock. In Robert’s (the customer) fitting, the stock strap at that point was not sufficient to clamp the hose against the fuel pressure, and he got leakage.
To remedy the issue, we chucked that reel, and just because someone else may find a ‘loose’ hose in the future, we have changed the specs and added another hose clamp to the Kit for fitment at location shown by the yellow arrow.
If any of you who have fitted an Auto Prime have a weepage there, or a hint of a weepage there, or think you might have a weepage there in the future, we are more than willing to send you an additional hose clamp at no charge.
Please use the “Contact” link on the left side of the home page, and we’ll get one out to you:
http://precisionmatters.biz/contact.php
The one fitted to my car hasn’t leaked a drop in several months (stock strap only), so feedback like this is greatly appreciated. Robert got a “Thank You” and a credit on the next order.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Emil Wojcik
356 Fan

Re: Auto Prime hose issue

#2 Post by Emil Wojcik »

Ron, your post is the perfect example of great customer service. Most vendors would have, at best, addressed the issue with the customer but you went the extra mile and gave notice here as a precaution. I know to someone like you, who I admittedly know only through your reputation, posting this here was a no-brainer. I'm sure I'm not the only one who appreciates it.
Emil Wojcik
'64 356C Euro coupe
'78 MGB
'86 Jaguar XJ6 Series 3
'94 MB E420

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#3 Post by Ron LaDow »

Emil,
Thanks for your kind words, but there's some self-preservation involved here too. Imagine picking up the phone bright and early on a Monday morning and hearing:
"We installed your part per your instructions and ended up with a fire."
Regardless of any business implications, that's just not something I'm willing to deal with if I can possibly avoid it.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

John Clarke
356 Fan

#4 Post by John Clarke »

Hi Ron
It's great what you do for us in the 356 community. Not about to pinch your idea but just interested how this system works by just holding down the gas pedal. Regarding the leak issue, I'm sure modern E fuels will find a way out from a loose fitting!
Kind regards Jay