P50, P50a Probe

Vendor announcements of new 356 products, product changes, recalls, requests for product feedback, or changes to their business.
Albert Tiedemann
356 Fan

P50, P50a Probe

#1 Post by Albert Tiedemann »

P50 and P50a are Factory designations for special tools to secure the oil line suction pipe to the crankcase.

The need to secure the oil line suction pipe can be determined during an oil change wherein the sump plate is dropped. If you can rotate or axially displace the pipe with your fingers, it needs to be tightened. The use of anaerobic compounds to bypass use of the tool may fail to work due to the inability to adequately clean the surfaces to be bonded. Evidence of “Turkey” methods-- as the Maestro was fond of reporting-- might present as peening or prick marks at the tube interface.

I have received an inquiry as to the availability of P50 and P50a as they have been sighted but not for sale. Afterwerke does not presently make these tools, but if the demand would warrant a pilot run, each could be fashioned as original with improvements not compromising function at a pre-construction cost of $149 delivered in the 50 if a commitment of 10 tools could be ascertained. Each tool would conform to the latest known design version of an original P50a [in hand since 1969]. This tool is illustrated in the special tool catalog and you can see it if you search der White’s website. However, there is an error on the application page for P50a. It is configured for the larger oil line suction pipe that is used with the large oil pump. An early version of P50 is shown in the service repair manual and it is configured for the smaller oil line suction pipe found in the A crankcases.

It is acknowledged that there will be a limited market for the tool and that it will be expensive to manufacture in small quantity as original. Thus, it will need to be a commissioned endeavor requiring 10 prepaid orders prior to commencement. For each tool wanted, send a prepayment of $149 payable and to:

Afterwerke
1007 Hillside View Road
Parkton, Maryland 21120

Payments will be held until tool is ready for delivery. If the requisite number of orders is not forthcoming, prepayments will be returned.

???s contact: afterwerke@comcast.net
Albert Tiedemann, C356C
"The Hermit"

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

Re: P50, P50a Probe

#2 Post by Vic Skirmants »

However, the later, larger oil tube is NOT peened into the housing. It merely relies on the O-ring for sealing. So I don't know why Porsche came out with P50a.

Albert Tiedemann
356 Fan

#3 Post by Albert Tiedemann »

vic skirmants wrote:However, the later, larger oil tube is NOT peened into the housing. It merely relies on the O-ring for sealing. So I don't know why Porsche came out with P50a.

I have often wondered this myself. Perhaps the initial thinking was that the crush of the o-ring would provide enough interface pressure--->friction to prevent rotation and axial displacement. I have not had occasion to replace the oil line suction tube, so I do not know the fit that had been originally decided upon. If one had access to review first issue/revised drawings, many of the questions appearing on this forum would not likely surface. Perhaps there is an obscure note in a service bulletin with an explanation. Whenever new tools were issued and it was determined from the size of the dealership that the tool was required[often referred to as a 15, 20 or 35 car dealership] they arrived on the doorstep and the dealership was charged even if the package was never opened. Sometimes there was a letter to the dealership advising same and, if appropriate, special note(s) were contained therein covering the contents. The thought occurs that maybe there is an explanation buried here. One could even postulate that it is another example of Porsche overkill. My recollection is that early type I VW used an o-ring but secured location of the pick-up with a fastener.

If we are lucky and someone that knows and actually reads the classifieds-- on occasion-- will post an irrefutable answer.
Albert Tiedemann, C356C
"The Hermit"

Jacques Lefriant
356 Fan

#4 Post by Jacques Lefriant »

Hi
did some some engines use the large tube but not the O ring?
j

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#5 Post by Dick Weiss »

A light tap w/a ball-ended punch will solve the problem, too.

Dick

Richard Troy
356 Fan
Tag: Early 356 Talk Participant

#6 Post by Richard Troy »

Jacques Lefriant wrote:Hi
j
Yes, exactly.

RT
Richard Troy, http://356Coachworks.com
Land Speed Record Holder
Engine Builder / Historian / Collector / Restorer / Reproductionist
Denzel  / Rometsch / early Karmann Ghia / 356 Enthusiast
Friend of Richard V. Lukes and Harry C. Pellow

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#7 Post by Vic Skirmants »

I've never seen a large-tube/no O-ring combo. Did the earliest large-tube cases do that??

Albert Tiedemann
356 Fan

#8 Post by Albert Tiedemann »

Richard Troy wrote:
Jacques Lefriant wrote:Hi
j
Yes, exactly.

RT
A picture or irrefutable reference would go a long way to put this controversy to bed. The design of P50a has a counterbore that accommodates the o-ring and allows the shoulder of the largest diameter of the tool to butt up square against the case for internal peening of the tube into the case half
Albert Tiedemann, C356C
"The Hermit"

Larry Coreth
356 Fan

#9 Post by Larry Coreth »

Guys,
Like Vic it was my understanding that the 16mm dia. oil syction tube with o-ring negated the need for the tube peening tool since the o-ring allowed the simple removal of the oil tube. Further the parts book intriduces both the 16mm oil tube and the o-ring at bthe same time. The inplication here is that the two go hand in hand! i.e., from P-610755, P-700590, P-800526, Germany & Sweeden bound engines started some time later.
Ab,
Are you sure via in hand experience that the P-50a is sized for a 16mm tube not jusy an updated version for the 12mm tube ?
Larry Coreth
Roanoake Rapids, NC

Albert Tiedemann
356 Fan

#10 Post by Albert Tiedemann »

Larry:

I have a Factory original P50a. It does not fit in the smaller tube. I made both versions. Jon has both original versions and I think he would verify that the "Peening" diameters are different. The peening balls are different sizes as well.
Albert Tiedemann, C356C
"The Hermit"

Larry Coreth
356 Fan

#11 Post by Larry Coreth »

Ab,
I see, interesting. some one must have thought it was necessary back in the day.
Has this rare vesion been sighted, 16mm tube swaged in place, with or without o-ring?
Larry Coreth
Roanoake Rapids, NC