New Product: original LL wood steering wheel 356 B/C and A

Vendor announcements of new 356 products, product changes, recalls, requests for product feedback, or changes to their business.
Jeffrey Fellman
356 Fan

New Product: original LL wood steering wheel 356 B/C and A

#1 Post by Jeffrey Fellman »

I am going to Italy to pick up the new LL wood wheels I have had made for both the 356 B/C cars as well as a limited number of flat examples for the A. These will be sent out to have the correct engine turning on the armatures as well as being offered fully polished. We have trademarked the name and logo "LL" , made the stamp, hub, top ring and test pieces for the finish. We sourced the original DIN steel rivets in Germany and made the tooling to correctly shape and compress the rivets in our 20 ton press. I am making this special offer to the List, the wheels will be $1295 when completed and fully assembled. If a list member pays in advance they can have either style wheel for only $1000 and as always if disappointed with the wheel when delivered, it can be returned for a full refund.
Attachments
006.JPG
005.JPG
003.JPG
002.JPG
001.JPG
les_leston_unresto_farnam_s[1].jpg
les_leston_unresto_farnam_s[1].jpg (26.43 KiB) Viewed 4448 times

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

Re: New Product: original LL wood steering wheel 356 B/C and

#2 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Jeffrey,
You are making a really nice product. BUT I have a problem with the title description using the word "original". Surely they taught you better in Ann Arbor.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#3 Post by Adam Wright »

Vic-
Considering he is calling it an LL, not a Les Leston, it technically is an original LL, a creation of Fellman's imagination. But I think you might want to wear thigh high boots on this slippery slope.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Jeffrey Fellman
356 Fan

#4 Post by Jeffrey Fellman »

I paid good money for the trademark registration. This is an earlier registration that was abandoned. This is totally legit, like the fact that the name and logo Schwinn has changed hands several times. Mine are the only legal "LL" wheels carrying that logo. Any others are fake in every sense of the word. All kidding aside I think the List can see the effort that has gone into making a quality wheel.

Dennis ODonnell
356 Fan

#5 Post by Dennis ODonnell »

Jeffrey, how about "Genuine" rather than "Original"? Your wheels are a continuation of the genuine article but their origin predates you. Beautiful work.

Jeffrey Fellman
356 Fan

#6 Post by Jeffrey Fellman »

I am trying to convey the fact that these are very faithful to the original in every sense of the word. If I made a wheel that was not correct dimensionally or cosmetically to the original-original it would still in the legal sense be "genuine" but not original. This wheel will be very hard to discern as current production other than the obvious fact that it is in perfect condition.

Dennis ODonnell
356 Fan

#7 Post by Dennis ODonnell »

"Genuine but not original" is exactly what your reproductions are. "Faithful reproduction of the original," "Identical to the original," "Perfect reproduction," etc. Copywriting the logo is not the same as designing it originally. You risk being accused of misleading potential buyers. Nice wheel, good luck.

Jeffrey Fellman
356 Fan

#8 Post by Jeffrey Fellman »

I probably should just leave this alone but my thoughts are that anybody actually dumb enough to suffer confusion on this point after reading my post and seeing the photos of the individual parts including the stamp and stamp samples has no business driving a motor vehicle. There is also the fine point that I have never accepted on line orders and each and every customer, even for the smallest of purchases must talk to me one on one by phone, no matter where in the world, to complete an order. No buyer of this wheel will suffer any confusion, just passive observers, about whom I care very little. Jeffrey [ just wanted to let you all know "I'm back"]

Dan Epperly
356 Fan

#9 Post by Dan Epperly »

Jeffrey Fellman wrote:I probably should just leave this alone but my thoughts are that anybody actually dumb enough to suffer confusion on this point after reading my post and seeing the photos of the individual parts including the stamp and stamp samples has no business driving a motor vehicle. There is also the fine point that I have never accepted on line orders and each and every customer, even for the smallest of purchases must talk to me one on one by phone, no matter where in the world, to complete an order. No buyer of this wheel will suffer any confusion, just passive observers, about whom I care very little. Jeffrey [ just wanted to let you all know "I'm back"]
Since I have an original original LL wheel I guess I should leave mine in its current "patina" state in order to differentiate it from the "original" LL wheels. Sounds like to me you are producing a very fine reproduction LL wheel.

Emil Wojcik
356 Fan

#10 Post by Emil Wojcik »

Dan Epperly wrote: ...Sounds like to me you are producing a very fine reproduction LL wheel.
True. These new wheels are the definition of a true reproduction, unlike others that are simply fakes that look like the real thing. It's a wheel that is indeed, "produced again in its original form by the legal owner of the trademark"...in other words, a re-production by definition. Not original.

Although I see your point of wanting everyone to know that this new wheel is technically made as close as possible to the original design, it is technically, by definition, not original.

But I do wish you luck in your sales. I think the effort put into this project is commendable. Looks like and excellent product.
Emil Wojcik
'64 356C Euro coupe
'78 MGB
'86 Jaguar XJ6 Series 3
'94 MB E420

Jeffrey Fellman
356 Fan

#11 Post by Jeffrey Fellman »

I thought i was pretty darn clear in the text but was rather hamstrung by the paucity of characters available in the title bar, I felt that the title helped convey the nature and quality of what I am producing, I question if Schwinn, Triumph, Rolls Royce, Bentley and on and on, see fit to make such a disclaimer regarding their products?

Emil Wojcik
356 Fan

#12 Post by Emil Wojcik »

Jeffrey Fellman wrote:I thought i was pretty darn clear in the text but was rather hamstrung by the paucity of characters available in the title bar, I felt that the title helped convey the nature and quality of what I am producing, I question if Schwinn, Triumph, Rolls Royce, Bentley and on and on, see fit to make such a disclaimer regarding their products?
If Rolls Royce released an exact copy today of the 1906 Silver ghost, they would not call it original.
Emil Wojcik
'64 356C Euro coupe
'78 MGB
'86 Jaguar XJ6 Series 3
'94 MB E420

Dan Epperly
356 Fan

#13 Post by Dan Epperly »

Emil Wojcik wrote:
Jeffrey Fellman wrote:I thought i was pretty darn clear in the text but was rather hamstrung by the paucity of characters available in the title bar, I felt that the title helped convey the nature and quality of what I am producing, I question if Schwinn, Triumph, Rolls Royce, Bentley and on and on, see fit to make such a disclaimer regarding their products?
If Rolls Royce released an exact copy today of the 1906 Silver ghost, they would not call it original.
Exactly. Odd a it is, people pay big money for the history as well as for the utility of a product. Ask yourself this, if Porsche (let's all dream) were to make a limited supply of 356s using all the original molds, pressings, etc., would they call it an "original" 356? What would have more value? A true vintage 356 or the new one? How would you differentiate between the original and the new original? I see nothing wrong with claiming what it is, which is a very fine reproduction. Like Emil said, good luck with your sales!

benoit roger
356 Fan

#14 Post by benoit roger »

Hi Guys !
I received my "brand new LL" from Jeffrey and it perfectly fits my '54 pre A !
It took quite a long time to come to Normandy but I'm really satisfied : everything 's been very easy !
See U

Bob Forman
356 Fan

#15 Post by Bob Forman »

I too received mine and am very please with it. Fit and finish are impeccable. I do have one comment. When compared to the original wheel it does not have the groove on the forward portion of the shaft that fits over the splines. Obviously I couldn't transfer the spring and retaining clamp to the LL but everything seems to work fine notwithstanding. Two questions: 1. Was the original LL and other wood wheels the same (without the groove)? 2. What is the purpose of the spring on the original wheel?
Bob Forman