AA Products Big Bore kits on Sale

Vendor announcements of new 356 products, product changes, recalls, requests for product feedback, or changes to their business.
Tom Tate
356 Fan
Tag: Boston MA

AA Products Big Bore kits on Sale

#1 Post by Tom Tate »

I just got an email from Cip1, a VW parts house and they have the AA Products Big Bore kits on sale for $379.95.

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp ... C10%2D5217

That's a pretty good price for anyone that is looking to rebuilt a street car engine. It include barrels/pistons/rings/etc. If this notice should appear in the For Sale section I'm sure Barry will move it for me. Just a heads up, don't contact me, contact them, and KTF

Jacques Lefriant
356 Fan

Re: AA Products Big Bore kits on Sale

#2 Post by Jacques Lefriant »

Hi All
it is a good price but a lot of our vendors could probably meet that price. if you do buy that kit ensure that you get the "performance pistons" AA discontinued the regular pistons. also verify that you do not get the thin wall piston pins that have been know to fail.
you may even be able to pay more to our vendors who can supply you with all the remaining parts. If you are wholesale or doing a major overhaul call VP Parts 877-214-0736
jacques

Jacques Lefriant
356 Fan

#3 Post by Jacques Lefriant »

Hi All
Tom's source does not seem to stock the Biral version or the version with JE pistons.
jacques

Dave Wildrick
356 Fan

#4 Post by Dave Wildrick »

Jacques Lefriant wrote:Hi All
Tom's source does not seem to stock the Biral version or the version with JE pistons.
jacques
Jacques,
I rebuilt the motor in my 65C coupe in March 2010 using the very AA kit that Tom mentions ($400, including shipping). No biral or JE.

I was impressed with the quality of everything, although I am certainly a novice at engine building. The variance in piston weights was 1 gram or less. No variance in piston pin weights. I did not experience any problems with acorn nut/cylinder fin clearance that some on this list have described with AA kits. Vic Skirmants and David Jones have done multiple successful engine rebuilds using AA kits.

I now have just short of 15,000 miles on the motor with no problems.
When should I expect it to blow up?
Dave Wildrick
Houston, TX
64C coupe
65C coupe

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#5 Post by Brad Ripley »

"Big Bore" piston/cylinder kits in stock. Cylinders are iron with alum fins.

With cast pistons, order NLA-103-901-87

With JE forged pistons, order NLA-103-901-88

Bob Forman
356 Fan

#6 Post by Bob Forman »

The AA ad says the 86MM cylinders will yield a 1775cc engine. I was under the impression they will lead to a 1720cc engine. Am I wrong?
Bob Forman

Jacques Lefriant
356 Fan

#7 Post by Jacques Lefriant »

Hi Bob
yes the math says 1719.4. I am going to vent here . Vendors offer parts to make a living they don't have to provide parts as would the manufacturer of the vehicle should. We are lucky that some of the parts needed are similar to parts(VW) that are able to be made efficiently. The vendors that take it upon themselves to satisfy our needs should be given the oportunity to provide the easy parts without imposing on them the expectation of low cost and high quality. i know i am preaching to the choir but if we want to ensure the continued availability of parts we will have to invest in maintaing the dedicated few who share our passion.
jacques