It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ccopy
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:56 pm 
356 Fan

: DYI LED taillights

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:58 am

356 Fan

This is a DYI project that will test your skill. I did my dash lights and then my small Hella driving lights, 100% better over incandescent bulbs and then made some taillights using harbor frieght LED flash lights.
Used online resistor program and came up with safe 6.8 ohm 2W resistor. You will need to solder leads to a 12V light smashed bulb, cut the circut board, bridge the (-) circut, remove some of the LEDs and srink wrap the conections too make it safe. In the end the LEDs made the 6V taillights Much Brighter and the blinkers 100 % better, electronic flasher is required. I have spent hours trying to post a longer detail of what I did with no luck, sorry. In the end very happy with out come.
For the resistor program I used 6V, 3.3 voltage drop, 20ma and 24 LEDs = 6.8 ohm 2 watt. My voltage at taillight is 5.5V so I could have used 4.7 ohm for taillight and 5.6 ohm for stoplight. I am thinking of switching them out sometime for brighter light.
3 dollar on sale flashlight, Harbor freight
1 dollar 12V bulb
50 cent resistor
Good luck, enjoy
Daryl bruhl 63 super 90 coupe 16092

Attachment:

led4.jpg
led4.jpg [ 1015.94 KiB | Viewed 579 times ]

Mid 60's VW backup lights with yellow tinted lens. Very simple to make, add 6.8 ohm resistor and solder your bulb plugin in place of flashlight battery leads.

Attachment:

led1.jpg
led1.jpg [ 652.15 KiB | Viewed 579 times ]

Attachment:

led2.jpg
led2.jpg [ 414.31 KiB | Viewed 579 times ]

To keep the LEDs in place I made a templet of the rubber gasket with hold in the middle and tucked in under flap of rubber gasket (not shown)
I used a red sharpie on LEDs and a silver one for the board, not nessary.
Without the lens on LEDs are like looking at the sun! With thick red lens in place still brighter that stock. How much brighter? Maybe 10-20%, just brighter

Attachment:

led3.jpg
led3.jpg [ 156.03 KiB | Viewed 579 times ]

: DYI LED taillights

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:58 am

356 Fan

This is a DYI project that will test your skill. I did my dash lights and then my small Hella driving lights, 100% better over incandescent bulbs and then made some taillights using harbor frieght LED flash lights.
Used online resistor program and came up with safe 6.8 ohm 2W resistor. You will need to solder leads to a 12V light smashed bulb, cut the circut board, bridge the (-) circut, remove some of the LEDs and srink wrap the conections too make it safe. In the end the LEDs made the 6V taillights Much Brighter and the blinkers 100 % better, electronic flasher is required. I have spent hours trying to post a longer detail of what I did with no luck, sorry. In the end very happy with out come.
For the resistor program I used 6V, 3.3 voltage drop, 20ma and 24 LEDs = 6.8 ohm 2 watt. My voltage at taillight is 5.5V so I could have used 4.7 ohm for taillight and 5.6 ohm for stoplight. I am thinking of switching them out sometime for brighter light.
3 dollar on sale flashlight, Harbor freight
1 dollar 12V bulb
50 cent resistor
Good luck, enjoy
Daryl bruhl 63 super 90 coupe 16092

Attachment:

led4.jpg
led4.jpg [ 1015.94 KiB | Viewed 579 times ]

Mid 60's VW backup lights with yellow tinted lens. Very simple to make, add 6.8 ohm resistor and solder your bulb plugin in place of flashlight battery leads.

Attachment:

led1.jpg
led1.jpg [ 652.15 KiB | Viewed 579 times ]

Attachment:

led2.jpg
led2.jpg [ 414.31 KiB | Viewed 579 times ]

To keep the LEDs in place I made a templet of the rubber gasket with hold in the middle and tucked in under flap of rubber gasket (not shown)
I used a red sharpie on LEDs and a silver one for the board, not nessary.
Without the lens on LEDs are like looking at the sun! With thick red lens in place still brighter that stock. How much brighter? Maybe 10-20%, just brighter

Attachment:

led3.jpg
led3.jpg [ 156.03 KiB | Viewed 579 times ]

Last edited by Daryl Bruhl on Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:30 am, edited 5 times in total.

Last edited by Daryl Bruhl on Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:30 am, edited 5 times in total.