Set up Cloudflare for security and performance

Ask questions about how to use the forum or any features on the website. Give us your feedback.
Justin Cordesman
356 Fan

Set up Cloudflare for security and performance

#1 Post by Justin Cordesman » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:04 am

Hey late last year I helped the guy who runs the Lincoln forum migrate his DNS to the free tier of Cloudflare and enable flexible TLS to provide some measure of over the wire encryption (at least to Cloudflare's CDN). Since I'm returning to this forum after a few years away in hopes of finding a project 356 in the coming months, and I really only started perusing it again yesterday, I thought I'd recommend the change after seeing how long page loads were. Along with flexible TLS providing some additional security (and avoiding in the increasingly red/scary warnings baked into Chrome/Safari/Firefox for unencrypted connections), the registry and forum would probably become more responsive too. This forum uses a lot of static content and the same message board software as the Lincoln forum, so even at the free tier Cloudflare's caching will probably provide the same massive improvements in page load times that we got there. It is also super easy and quick to do, maybe 5-10 minutes of work.