It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Always the log in.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:03 am 
356 Fan

Tag: http://tinyurl.com/3l95xmh
I access the Registry forum by clicking on a bookmark tab I've stored in my bookmark bar.

This takes me directly to the 'View unread posts' page and I can see all the new posts on all the current Registry topics.

This has always worked well for me, the only bugbear being the number of occasions I have to log in. I would say that I am offered the log in page and have to tick the 'remember me box' more than 75% of the time when I click on my Registry bookmark.

Sometimes when I do tick the box and log in, the next page, the Registry home page, informs me that I was already logged in and all that box ticking and clicking was wholly unnecessary, implying that I am a computer illiterate buffoon.

I don't mind so much, I generally enjoy quirky old things and it reminds me of the days when the internet only rarely did what you wanted it to do... but non of the other websites I visit require me to constantly log in to their pages... just the Registry.

Makes me wonder what I'm doing wrong ?. I'm not moving around, I'm using the same laptop in the same chair, in the same house.

Post subject: Re: Always the log in.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:05 pm 
356Talk Moderator

Tag: Be Nice!
Mike - I don't know the reason you have to log in so much; on my desktop, I rarely have to log in, and when I do, it's because I cleared my cache and cookies, which I don't do nearly enough. Is your default set to clear on shutdown?
On my iPhone, however, it never will save the log-in but does save the user name and password so I only have to click once to log in when it stops on the log-in page.
The Registry Site does support the feature, why it works better for some and not at all for others is a mystery to me. I do believe it is caused by settings on your system, though. I know that is the default answer for computer system admins (which I am not, just a user with some added capabilities).
It seems to work for many if not most.
I know, a bad answer .....

Post subject: Re: Always the log in.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:24 pm 
356Talk Moderator

Mike, do you keep your browser running? Or do you close it and/or log out of your system frequently.