Always the log in.

Ask questions about how to use the forum or any features on the website. Give us your feedback.
Mike Ruddy
356 Fan
Tag: http://tinyurl.com/3l95xmh

Always the log in.

#1 Post by Mike Ruddy » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:03 am

I access the Registry forum by clicking on a bookmark tab I've stored in my bookmark bar.

This takes me directly to the 'View unread posts' page and I can see all the new posts on all the current Registry topics.

This has always worked well for me, the only bugbear being the number of occasions I have to log in. I would say that I am offered the log in page and have to tick the 'remember me box' more than 75% of the time when I click on my Registry bookmark.

Sometimes when I do tick the box and log in, the next page, the Registry home page, informs me that I was already logged in and all that box ticking and clicking was wholly unnecessary, implying that I am a computer illiterate buffoon.

I don't mind so much, I generally enjoy quirky old things and it reminds me of the days when the internet only rarely did what you wanted it to do... but non of the other websites I visit require me to constantly log in to their pages... just the Registry.

Makes me wonder what I'm doing wrong ?. I'm not moving around, I'm using the same laptop in the same chair, in the same house.

Greg Bryan
356Talk Moderator
Tag: Be Nice!

Re: Always the log in.

#2 Post by Greg Bryan » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:05 pm

Mike - I don't know the reason you have to log in so much; on my desktop, I rarely have to log in, and when I do, it's because I cleared my cache and cookies, which I don't do nearly enough. Is your default set to clear on shutdown?
On my iPhone, however, it never will save the log-in but does save the user name and password so I only have to click once to log in when it stops on the log-in page.
The Registry Site does support the feature, why it works better for some and not at all for others is a mystery to me. I do believe it is caused by settings on your system, though. I know that is the default answer for computer system admins (which I am not, just a user with some added capabilities).
It seems to work for many if not most.
I know, a bad answer .....
Greg Bryan
356Talk Moderator

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

Re: Always the log in.

#3 Post by James Davies » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:24 pm

Mike, do you keep your browser running? Or do you close it and/or log out of your system frequently.