Page 1 of 2

Avatar Photo Disappeared

Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:28 pm
by Cliff Hanson
My Avatar photo is no longer displayed. Can a board administrator contact me about reinstalling a photo?

Re: Avatar Photo Disappeared

Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:40 pm
by Harold Singh
It is gone!

Re: Avatar Photo Disappeared

Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:32 pm
by Cliff Hanson
Harold Singh wrote:It is gone!
But why did they take mine off when it was on there?

Re: Avatar Photo Disappeared

Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:08 pm
by Curt Dansby
Hi Cliff
We just went through a major server migration - stuff happens. Log in and go to my profile, top right hand corner you can then edit and reinstall your photo.
Curt

Re: Avatar Photo Disappeared

Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:00 am
by Greg Bryan
Cliff - there is a step by step how-to in the FAQs on the Main Forum page
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=38165
Good Luck

Re: Avatar Photo Disappeared

Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:01 pm
by Cliff Hanson
Greg Bryan wrote:Cliff - there is a step by step how-to in the FAQs on the Main Forum page
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=38165
Good Luck
I did that and it reappeared. But, I just posted another on the thread about combination oil pressure and temperature and the Avatar disappeared again! And also on this post. So, I guess I'll start over!

Re: Avatar Photo Disappeared

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:22 pm
by DaveErickson
Curt Dansby wrote:Hi Cliff
We just went through a major server migration - stuff happens. Log in and go to my profile, top right hand corner you can then edit and reinstall your photo.
Curt
Curt, why the kid gloves dealing with the team that migrated servers? Usual practice is to migrate on an off-line system, and only bring it on-line when everything is working. Judging by the number of avatars not working and the difficulty some people are having getting it working again, shouldn't this problem be resolved by the migration team?

Re: Avatar Photo Disappeared

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:32 pm
by David Jones
Don't feel bad Cliff. I am having a similar issue and I followed the steps and I am not totally computer illiterate. My avatar is back but who knows if it has actually taken.

Re: Avatar Photo Disappeared

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:56 pm
by Cliff Hanson
The other thing I couldn't do was post more than one photo in the same post. It would only accept one photo.

Re: Avatar Photo Disappeared

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:59 am
by Greg Bryan
Perhaps Curt is using 'kid gloves' because our webmaster is a volunteer and has been putting in countless hours migrating the service to a more secure, economical, and long term solution. The migration has been 99+% successful. Having worked peripherally in the IT world, usually there is an army of people doing the work and in my experience, there are always problems to resolve after a build or migration. This one has been almost uneventful.
Try reinstalling your avatar using the procedure in the FAQ section referenced above. Pay particular attention to the avatar size to make sure the file is not bigger than what is allowed for the avatar. It's all in the step-by-step procedure.

Cliff - I've seen posts today with multiple photos attached so I don't think there is a system problem. Check your procedure. Adding photos is also included in the above-mentioned FAQs. Good luck!

Re: Avatar Photo Disappeared

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:08 am
by Jack Wingnut
Multiple photos

Re: Avatar Photo Disappeared

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:54 am
by Wes Bender
Might be a file size issue. Mine hasn't disappeared (yet).

Re: Avatar Photo Disappeared

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:52 pm
by DaveErickson
Greg Bryan wrote:Perhaps Curt is using 'kid gloves' because our webmaster is a volunteer and has been putting in countless hours migrating the service to a more secure, economical, and long term solution. The migration has been 99+% successful. Having worked peripherally in the IT world, usually there is an army of people doing the work and in my experience, there are always problems to resolve after a build or migration. This one has been almost uneventful.
Try reinstalling your avatar using the procedure in the FAQ section referenced above. Pay particular attention to the avatar size to make sure the file is not bigger than what is allowed for the avatar. It's all in the step-by-step procedure.

Cliff - I've seen posts today with multiple photos attached so I don't think there is a system problem. Check your procedure. Adding photos is also included in the above-mentioned FAQs. Good luck!
Hey Greg, 356Registry is a major site on the internet, so why do we rely on volunteers for website maintenance? There are plenty of excellent companies who do a professional job of maintaining a php bbs. I can suggest some if you are interested. Other sites that I visit regularly with an even larger internet presence switched to professional support years ago, and they never have the kind of half-completed issues that 356 Registry's website has.

Re: Avatar Photo Disappeared

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:56 pm
by David Jones
The other question is why everyone did not lose their avatar? Only a select few. Do we all use a MAC by chance? What is the reason behind that?

Re: Avatar Photo Disappeared

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:32 pm
by Wes Bender
This whole discussion is better conducted on the Forum and Site Questions forum....... unless we're discussing avatars on our 356s.