It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Classifieds
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 10:08 am 
356 Fan

I've listed a couple of items for sale, stated the price, even edited one ad and it was convenient and easy.
However, I don't understand why we can't update our ad and bump it to the top of the list/page (?)

Most other sites such as 911S Registry, Pelican, and others allow a few bumps to get their ads more attention.

On this site, once you are off the main page or two, not many people look at the ad. Now, I'm guessing at this, but I don't
go back and look at ads beyond the first two pages.
It seems the current system is only a 'catch as catch can for the seller'. It's a browsing ad site, not really on behalf of those that
want to sell something or 'want to buy' (usually need to buy for their car).

Can't we make this more friendly to the seller adn those wanting to buy?
Most sellers won't abuse the practice of bumping the ad to the top.

Moderators.....kindly reply.
Inquiring minds want to know.

Rich Peters

Post subject: Re: Classifieds
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 8:44 pm 
356 Fan

Rich
I have never understood the classifieds here. Today, the first page on my laptop are dated May, 7. The next page are dated March 11 or so. I just assume those are bumped ads. Only once of the few I have responded to did I here back from the seller. Rude seller or never got my response?

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 8:51 pm 
356 Fan

Phil, if you click on the word DATE of the DATE Column you can cycle through 3 sorting choices. The choice showing the downward pointing triangle sorts the AD's from newest to oldest by date.

1963 356B T-6 Super 90
2009 997.2 Carrera S
2013 958 Cayenne diesel
2015 958 Cayenne diesel

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 8:52 pm 
356 Fan

Phil Planck wrote:
Rude seller or never got my response?

They may have responded to you, but replied back to the email they received instead of your email. I really hate to publically criticise, but they way we are required to respond to classified emails is really bad. Lots of people (including me) just automatically click reply to emails they want to respond to, even though it says in big old letters "Do Not Reply Directly to this email" or some such language. I have been involved in a few of these on both ends and either missed out on buying or missed out on selling items. It should not be this hard, and is not on other forums using the same software.

The reason I even bother to bring this up is that responding to classified emails was not like this previously, you could reply to the email directly and the message would go to the person who sent the email.

PS to Phil: Joe starts Monday!

Registry #8339
'65 C coupe
'64 C cab
--
www.arbormotion.com
www.arbormotion.com/our-services/porsche-rennstatt/
--
2001 996 C4
1998 Boxster
1967 Karmann Ghia Convertible
1966 Ducati Cafe Racer
1963 Beetle

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 10:31 pm 
356 Fan

Jeff
Thanks for that tip. Never even knew you could click on the column headings. Don't see anything about this in FAQ. I tried it and now the next page is not March 11, but May 6.
Sebastion
He's excited.

Phil

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 7:33 pm 
Registry Pres

Hi Rich
Not trying to make this sound patronizing, but how is it fair to the other people that post if someone decides to bump their ad everyday or twice or three times a day? The guy who just posted a new ad wants that exposure too and if you allow bumping the only thing you are going to see at the top of the list are the ads from the guys who want to play "thermonuclear escalation". The current system give everyone the opportunity to post and renew equally.

Curt

Also I just happened to see this looking for something else. It is fine to generate Forum discussion on on topics but if moderators are not aware of the thread it makes us look like we are ignoring things. An e-mail with a link to a thread would be welcomed if we are not on top of things with a response.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 10:09 pm 
356 Fan

Curt, thanks for the information and explanation.
Perhaps it's how the ads are displayed on the site.
I've recently counted about 10 ads per page. Often there are more than 10 ads posted which pushes ads into the next page.
Not a problem if you look at the Classifieds every day to keep up. Although not sure everyone does. So, in 3 days, your ad goes to maybe page 4 or deeper.
This lessens the chance of someone seeing your ad.

How about displaying the ads differently?
Many of us are on other web sites also looking at the Classifieds.
Some examples;
911S Registry
Samba
Pelican Parts
Garage Journal

These sites have a completely different format for their Classifieds, including several sub categories.
For Sale, Cars
For Sale, Parts
WTB
Memoribilia

I suspect this may cost money to set up and administer in this manner, but perhaps someone would be willing to do so.
If no takers, how about a free Holiday Registration as an incentive? Well, you get the idea.

Finally....regarding the people that take advantage of the bump......just set up some simple rule.
How about you are allowed to bump only twice? More than that, you ad gets pulled.
Too much administration?

Thanks for listening.
No rant, just a little frustrating.
Oh, by the way, I sold both my 356 items on other sites. They had been bumped only once in a week.

Cheers and Keep the Faith,

Rich

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 8:44 am 
Registry Pres

Hi Rich

Those other sites use some other kind of operating platform so we would have to change over get a different look. The decision to go with the platform we use was based partially on being able to save the old data on the previous site set up when we had to change because the system was unstable and we are married to it. We have made refinements as asked for by members since the upgrade but we have to pick and choose among the things that are doable. While we do have Joe as Webmaster the site is not managed like it was years ago. It is much more complex and demands a contract service. We budget about 8K a year to maintain it not counting unforeseen issues.

We have looked at adding more ads to a single page but that is something we cannot do. We could add more categories to further separate what you see in a search but everything is going to post on the main page so you would have to select what ever category you wanted to see specifically. Let me have some discussions and do some looking to see what new categories would actually serve to "break things up".

Back to the bumping; We do not have any way of initially recognizing that other than the moderator being on the site as much as he can and remembering that he saw that ad recently.(we can then "go under the hood" and confirm but it takes a couple of steps) The confirmation "trail" was not there when I was the moderator so I had to use other methods to catch people (primarily "living " on the classifieds) . With any slice of humanity as large as our club you are going to have some knuckleheads who do not think the rules apply to them. Allowing limited bumping would be a moderation pain in the butt.

One other thing I want to broach (and this is not directed specifically at you Rich) But for years I have had people say why cant we do this like Samba? Mostly in reference to the classifieds. I use Samba as well but it is a for profit gig and I am sure he is using monies earned to maintain and refine the site. We have decided we are not going to allow ads on our site. We do not think the membership wants it and the people who already complain about how the site displays on their mobile devices would go apoplectic if their screens were filled with ads rather than site content.

Thanks for the input
KTF
Curt

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 10:05 am 
356 Fan

Curt,

Thanks for the explanation.
Your attention to these issues is much appreciated.

Cheers,

Rich