Failure to open

Ask questions about how to use the forum or any features on the website. Give us your feedback.
Wes Bender
356 Fan

Failure to open

#1 Post by Wes Bender » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:12 am

Hi Greg and Web Wizards. I use Google Chrome on a Windows PC and a couple of days ago I suddenly was unable to open anything on the website. When I clicked on the "hamburger", or drop down menu, the photo on the page dropped down momentarily, but then sprang right back up. That was ALL I could get it to do. I then right clicked on the drop down menu button and selected "View source". I scrolled down to line 42 and clicked on the link contained therein. The forum main menu then came up OK, I was logged in already, and was able to access the various forums. (I didn't check the other website sections, but can if you'd like.)

I then opened Firefox to see if the problem was specific to Google Chrome. Using Firefox, I was able to open the various parts of the website OK. At this point, I suspect Chrome updated and some change they made is the problem.

Not too inconvenient for me at this time, but thought you should know in case this is happening to others running Chrome. (They may not think to sneak in the way I did.....)

Cheers,
Wes
Some days it just isn’t worth the hassle of chewing through the restraints......

Chris Chown
356 Fan

Re: Failure to open

#2 Post by Chris Chown » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:40 am

The same thing happens to me using Firefox or Safari on my iPhone and MacbookAir. All is normal and the way it was using my iMac though.

Chris

Joe Johnson
356Talk Admin

#3 Post by Joe Johnson » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:26 pm

Wes are you still having the problem? I can't duplicate the problem using Chrome.

Joe

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#4 Post by Wes Bender » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:54 pm

Yes Joe. Just now. As I say, I'm using Windows 7, Google Chrome. Firefox seems OK still.
I think this first happened late Sunday or early Monday.

And I DID check the other locations on the website and I can get to them also (going in the back door, or whatever you want to call it).

Wes
Some days it just isn’t worth the hassle of chewing through the restraints......

Joe Johnson
356Talk Admin

#5 Post by Joe Johnson » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:06 pm

Please try this and then check: You can just Empty the cache so that you don't lose all the other stuff.

Chrome
1.In the browser bar, enter: chrome://settings/clearBrowserData

2.Select the items you want to clear (e.g., Clear browsing history, Clear download history, Empty the cache, Delete cookies and other site and plug-in data).
From the Obliterate the following items from: drop-down menu, you can choose the period of time for which you want to clear cached information.
To clear your entire cache, select the beginning of time.

3.Click Clear browsing data.

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#6 Post by Wes Bender » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:25 pm

OK. Did that. Cleared Browsing History, Download History, Cookies and Other...., and Cached Images and Files. Cleared the last four weeks (wasn't having any problem prior to this past weekend).

No change. Photo still pulls downward, but then snaps back up.

Wes

Joe Johnson
356Talk Admin

#7 Post by Joe Johnson » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:34 pm

I'll check further into the problem that you and Chris are having...

Joe

EricMcKinley
356 Fan

#8 Post by EricMcKinley » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:35 pm

Yes I'm having exactly the same problem.

I use an iPad.

I click on the hamburger, down comes the menu, before I can touch it, up it goes again.

Phil Planck
356 Fan

#9 Post by Phil Planck » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:55 am

Same problem for me with Firefox on a tablet. Started yesterday morning. Also got a message 1st time it happened that site was down for maintenance.
Phil Planck

Joe Johnson
356Talk Admin

#10 Post by Joe Johnson » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:18 am

You guys should be good to go now, yes the site has been up and down for maintenance and upgrading.

Joe

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#11 Post by Wes Bender » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:46 am

Working good now. Photo now stays out of the way. Thanks Joe and whoever else is working on it.

There is one more thing that appears to have been changed. The check box to "Remember Me" when you sign in doesn't appear to be working. I'm now having to log in every time I visit the site.

Cheers,
Wes
Last edited by Wes Bender on Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Joe Johnson
356Talk Admin

#12 Post by Joe Johnson » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:48 am

"Remember me" is a known problem and is being worked on...

Joe

Chris Chown
356 Fan

#13 Post by Chris Chown » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:02 am

Everything is working well now. Thanks Joe and everyone else!

Chris