It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 356Talk ease of use
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:32 pm 
356Talk Moderator

Me neither. I just did all the same searches with "wood" and "fellman" as I described above on up-to-date versions of Chrome, Firefox and Safari (running Mac OS X), and everything comes up correctly, whether I'm logged in or logged out.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:56 pm 
356 Fan

I can't get it to fail either..... with ANY of the web browsers at my disposal. There will always be some who cannot get something to work to their satisfaction. Don't quite know how to address all possible areas where a mistake is possible to make. I also think that the subject should be addressed to the moderators and webmasters rather than being flailed to death here on the forum.

Wes

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:33 pm 
356 Fan

I was heavily involved with web development for years. You could never economically make a site work on 100% of the computers out there, too many variables.

If the entire world used identical computers with identical software package including the latest versions of all software, and those computers were all identically maintained, you will approach 100% usability across the board (but even then, there would be glitches in both hardware and software that will cause issues).

As I said, I can't get it to fail on any of my five computers, using various browsers. If anyone is having problems, it may be time to take a close look at you computers, software, systems and maintenance.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:22 pm 
356 Fan

Using firefox, searching in the classified search I get 4 for "fellman" and 7 of his for "wood". It is very surprising how inconsistent this is. My computer is 2 years old and works fine in general.
Edit, just got exactly the same results from my other computer, a very different machine/operating system, also seemingly in good health.

Last edited by Martin Benade on Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:31 pm 
356 Fan

I don't really have a problem with having to join to search but i think that this should be very clearly explained right at the head of the page like most sites i visit do. many simply show what you can do as a visitor and what you can only do as a member in a pair of columns. Even if you do join the search option is a link, not a white field to fill in at the top of the page. Again i am referring to the Talk Forum.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:49 am 
356 Fan

Ifin it ain't broke, don't fix it.......
Keep the site for members only.
There are "other" sites for people not interested in investing in the Registry with a few $$$$
KTF
John

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:25 am 
356 Fan

Martin Benade wrote:
Using firefox, searching in the classified search I get 4 for "fellman" and 7 of his for "wood". It is very surprising how inconsistent this is. My computer is 2 years old and works fine in general.
Edit, just got exactly the same results from my other computer, a very different machine/operating system, also seemingly in good health.

We used to test newly developed websites with 30+ different computers ranging from brand new, high-end ones down to the oldest piece of crap dinosaurs that could barely function and everything in between.

These were just random Macs and PCs that we kept just for this purpose when many should have been thrown away years before. The goal was to see what the sites would work on and how efficiently. Of course it was expected that some sites wouldn't function well on the really old computers, but it was surprising how poorly the ones did that were newer but either poorly maintained, were never updated, had hidden viruses or had issues because of conflicts with different software programs that had been installed on them, causing conflicts.

It's not always the age of the computer that matters.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:02 pm 
356 Fan

John, I don't absolutely disagree but why make it so in obvious that you must join to search and why don't we have a very clear and simple "Search Topic" white box like almost every other site in the free world, well actually the entire world. It can say as many sites do " you must be a member to use this feature" and right next to this is the mechanism to join. This is exactly how virtually every guitar chat room i participate is set up. It would make the situation a lot easier. Even as a member i need to go through several steps to search threads. Are we back to where we really don't want new members for our private club?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:08 pm 
356 Fan

Martin Benade wrote:

It ain't your computer or browser producing those results, both are working fine. I also get 4 hits for plain "fellman" but only if I put that text in the box "Search for classifieds containing" which I suggest is not how you should search.

Try leaving all boxes empty except "Fellman" in box "User": 18 matches.

Then add "wood" in the box "Search for classifieds containing": 7 matches.

Brian

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:03 pm 
356 Fan

I am open to suggestions on how to use it. I couldn't figure out what the user box was for, not obvious to me.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:10 pm 
356 Fan

Martin Benade wrote:
I am open to suggestions on how to use it. I couldn't figure out what the user box was for, not obvious to me.

Could be better termed "Member" than "User", but somehow I grasped it. Blind pig and all that, what?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:28 am 
356 Fan

Tag: Its Only for Fun
I do see where Jeffery is coming from
There are areas of the site that could be more user friendly with small amounts of redesign
I also have to say that the Sign-in procedure is quirky once I am on The Digest Talk pages (I just accept that is the way it is)

However, using the shortcut to The Registry site then selecting Classifieds produced the following results

I got the Same Results Signed in or Not Signed in

It made No Difference if I added Jeffery`s name to the Item Search – Same Results

Steering Wheel – 27 Results – 6 for Jeffery Fellman
Lights – 25 Results – 5 for J F
Wood – 21 Results – 7 for JF
Fellman Only – 18 Results – Note that this a Total of the above results for Jeffery

I am a Firefox User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:27 am 
356 Fan

Jeffrey
Yes I agree, a how to join button would be a good idea.
KTF
John

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:41 pm 
356 Fan

Wondering why the 356talk moderator hasn't moved this thread to the "Forum & Site Q & A" section?

Registry Member #19656

"If the opposite of "pro" is "con, then what's the opposite of "progress?"

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:04 am 
356 Fan

Is it true that "view active topics" is only available if you are logged in and a member? Or am I missing a way to get that without being logged in?