It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 356Talk ease of use
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:16 pm 
356 Fan

I admit I use Firefox, not Chrome as the monitors seem to suggest. I have had a LOT of people call or email me saying they could not find the threads on my lights on 356Talk. I say like an idiot "just type SMD Headlights in the search box". I never really bothered to look to see if there WAS a search box per se. Guess what, there is not. It appears at least for me that unless i specifically sign in, the search option does not appear at all! which may or may not be by design. even if i do sign in [which i usually only do if i am going to post which is pretty damn rare] only a tiny word "search" appears along the top border. I have never seen a chat room like ours anywhere else where there was not a great big "SEARCH" search box as big as all blazes front and center. Is this is by design for a purpose i do not understand. My customers must be a very stupid group which may indeed ne the case but I almost get the opinion that unless you are a member you are not allowed to search the threads. Even if this is done on purpose it should be just as clearly stated that you MUST 1] join and the 2} sign in to even become aware that there is a means of searching the threads. Probably a close cousin of the logic that members should search the new items page every single day on the od chance that today is the day that a new and interesting product has been developed. The failure of the search option being visible to all visitors and the repeated questions about my product is the simple fruit of this policy.

Post subject: Re: 356Talk ease of use
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:25 pm 
356 Fan

Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.
Jeffrey there is a big search box and I went there and typed Fellman and this is what came up.
https://porsche356registry.org/classifieds?utf8=✓&q%5Btitle_or_description_cont%5D=fellman&q%5Bclassified_category_id_matches%5D=&q%5Bclassified_adtype_id_matches%5D=&q%5Buser_name_cont%5D=&commit=Search

David Jones #9715

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:32 pm 
356 Fan

David I am not sure what you are showing, I think that it doesn't work. When I put in Fellman I get no matches of any kind. I am not sure if there are tricks to the search function, but I have seldom had it find anything that I had seen previously. I still think we need website developers from almost anywhere outside of the group we have, I am no expert in this subject, but surely they are incompetent. Are they as old as most of us members, is that why they know nothing?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:38 pm 
356Talk Moderator

Tag: Be Nice!
Jeffrey - some features are available only to members, such as the search feature.

Typing 'SMD Headlights' into the search area results in every Post with those words.
Here's the top of the list
Attachment:
SMD.PNG
SMD.PNG [ 63.13 KiB | Viewed 1753 times ]

Typing 'SMD Headlights' into the Classifieds search resulted in your current ad
Attachment:
SMD 2.PNG
SMD 2.PNG [ 44.48 KiB | Viewed 1753 times ]

Doing a Google search on 'SMD Headlights Porsche 356 Registry' results in:
Attachment:
SMD3.PNG
SMD3.PNG [ 75.66 KiB | Viewed 1753 times ]

Which takes one to this ad - notice your telephone number in the text
Attachment:
SMD4.PNG
SMD4.PNG [ 502.59 KiB | Viewed 1753 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:54 am 
356 Fan

OK, so i am correct that the search feature is not visible when you simply go to the website. perhaps this should be stated clearly so any visitor sees it. Why would it occur to a visitor to join other than an abstract urge if they only plan to read and not post. this seems to be unique to our site. next i don't see a traditional search box, only a very small word "search" along side other various features, again not very visible. I am a member and the word "search" is not visible unless i sign in. only today did I realize this was the case. i am not alone in finding this very odd. As far as the classifieds search goes i get call after call from customers that do NOT see my listed ads even when using every permutation of the search terms you can think of. I jsy tried the term "wood" in the classifieds and only got two results when I have at least six ads with the term "wood" in the title of the ad and the text. This has been a recurring issue for years, I just simply gave up and figured you can't get any action from you guys so just learn to live with it. I personally feel the List members are not being served well. Sure, i am trying to sell my products but there seems to me a very clear sentiment that it is much more important to keep persons such as my self from "profiting" from the list than to show new products that benefit the owners in a visible manner. as an example i have received several questions about whether my SMD lights could be used with European reflectors. To be brutaly honest, ask me from a purely business standpoint if I really care. The numbers just are not there. But in the face of this I 1] figure out a way to do this [[actually a very good friend wanted them for his Carrera II] 2] made a special jig to allow me to make the adaptors SERIOUS pain in the rear3] took the time to make an explanation and set of clear photos and 4] took the time to post to the general talk area where I figured the people who had asked about this stone loser would look. The List monitor immediately removed it so that you would be protected I assume from my rapacious business practices. To quote Juvenal, who will guard the guards?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:15 am 
356Talk Moderator

Tag: Be Nice!
Jeff - I typed 'jeffrey fellman' in the classified search and got 18 items.
I'm not trying to be argumentative, it's just not that hard to find your stuff ...
Attachment:
SMD5.PNG
SMD5.PNG [ 176.16 KiB | Viewed 1729 times ]

Access by non members is a question for the trustees

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:33 am 
356 Fan

Sorry about the tone of my last post. For the main search, not the classified search, are there some tricks, or could you make a small tutorial? When I put in "fellman" and search various ways, I get no matches. Also is it possible to search for a member by last name, or only by user name? Usually Google gets me further than our own search feature.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:37 am 
356 Fan

Why would someone search my name? Try "wood" and let me know what happens

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:45 am 
356 Fan

David, go to 356Talk and don't sign in, check the forum, try to find List member remarks about my lights. I probably get ten calls a day saying they don't know how to use the search function on 356Talk. Most of the other chat rooms i visit give a list of functions that can only be accessed by joining right up front , big and bold, FYI this usually only covers posting and rarely if ever the ability to search. Why DO we not allow visitors to search anyway. God forbid this would encourage them to join after reading various threads.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:52 am 
356 Fan

I really have been talking about thread search in Talk not the Classifieds but since you mention it, "Fellman" alone only brings up four of eighteen ads, The following ad title not to mention the word repeatedly being used in the text DOES NOT COME UP if you type the word "wood" in the Classifieds search box. Please explain this:

Wood steering wheel for B/C cars 16", LL , Concours Quality, Free Shipping

This has been a running situation for years, never solved, never addressed, how are the members served by this?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:16 am 
356Talk Moderator

In Classifieds, type "Fellman" into the *User* section of the search, and all 18 ads show up. As one would would expect.

The reason 4 ads come up when one types "Fellman" into *Search for Classifieds Containing* is that "Fellman" is contained within the body of the ad in those cases. Again, as one would expect.

Typing "wood" into the same search box brings the ad you list above, but it is on the 2nd page of results. Again, as one would expect.

The features are there, and they work.

I find searching with Google with "site:porsche356registry.org" allows me to find things much faster, especially for finding things on 356Talk, compared to using the built-in search functions. Use whatever search tools work for you.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:54 am 
356 Fan

Each browser gives different results. I received a total of five items only, no "second page" . Not everyone would think to use my full name much less know it. I included Ad Title and Contents when I used "wood". I am puzzled why the Trustees simply cannot accept that we have an inferior system and address this. I speak as a member. I need to search now and again. I am certain i am not seeing all the information available. My customers call me daily, frustrated. These are not stupid men. The use of the website should be more in line with the norm not a puzzle to be deciphered.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:20 am 
356 Fan

Don't see any of the problems listed.
Type in Fellman and I get all the listings, type in "wood" and I get all the listing including all from Jeffrey.
I too am using Firefox.....
I support the idea that you have to be a member to search for these items.
KTF
John

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:37 am 
356 Fan

Ah, the old "it works for me" line. Software should work all the time for everybody. The standard isn't, I can get it to work. The standard is, I can't get it to fail.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:36 pm 
356 Fan

I can't get it to fail.