All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Links
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:20 am 
356 Fan

Thanks Greg!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:58 am 
356 Fan

Any news on this issue from the webmaster? I note that some links are still live (vendor list) so I still don't understand why all links can't be live.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:21 pm 
356 Fan

Joe Johnson wrote:
Ron, the site is not broken. "Live" links have been turned off. This is just as Steve has explained, and we continue with safety audits to insure that the Registry site is as safe as we can make it. It's a changing environment and the bad guys are always trying something new.

Joe

Joe - Can you please turn the live links back on ?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:25 pm 
Trevor Gates wrote:
Joe Johnson wrote:
Ron, the site is not broken. "Live" links have been turned off. This is just as Steve has explained, and we continue with safety audits to insure that the Registry site is as safe as we can make it. It's a changing environment and the bad guys are always trying something new.

Joe

Joe - Can you please turn the live links back on ?

It does seem the links could be made active. None of the forums I frequent have the links turned off.

One of the problems might be that The Registry is using outdated software. Joomla, (which is the software used to build this site), underwent a major upgrade and no longer supports the current version in use here. I may be completely wrong about this but that's the way it was when I was a volunteer. It is a very time consuming task to upgrade. By using outdated scripts and software the host machine becomes more vulnerable to attack. There could be pressure from the host to disable links along with other safety measures.

Even with all that being said, the live link feature doesn't usually create a problem.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:24 pm 
356Talk Moderator

Tag: Be Nice!
Did you see this in the recent New Year's email from 356Registry Membership Department?

New Website is Coming
"In the next few months our website will be updated to make it easier for administration, list maintenance, updates and organizational changes. Oh yeah... it will also be better looking, easier to navigate and fun to use for members! Look for it soon ... "

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:27 pm 
Greg Bryan wrote:
Did you see this in the recent New Year's email from 356Registry Membership Department?

New Website is Coming
"In the next few months our website will be updated to make it easier for administration, list maintenance, updates and organizational changes. Oh yeah... it will also be better looking, easier to navigate and fun to use for members! Look for it soon ... "

That's good news. Thanks for the update.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:09 pm 
356 Fan

Greg - Yes I just got home from vacation yesterday and was very impressed to see the Trustees have decided to allocate money to improve the website with a full re-design. I was honestly shocked! I don't know if the Trustees have all the new features figured out but I've made some suggestions in the past as to how to improve the website. Maybe a new thread should be started by Gordon here on the website with his announcement from the magazine?

Brian - Thanks again for your input!

Joe - Does this mean that the links aren't going to be turned "live" because of the upcoming website redesign?