It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:54 pm 
356 Fan

Tag: Porsche enthusiast
Here is how to read posts on the 356Talk website even faster than scanning through a very long Digest email.

Open your browser.

Log in to the Registry website (and check the "Remember Me" box before submitting your login).

In the top menu select 356Talk Forum.

You will then be on the main 356Talk page listing all the Forums. Click "View unread posts" on the right side.

Now you will be presented with a list of all topics in all Forums that you have never viewed or marked as "read".

The first time you do this the list of topics may be very long. But that's okay, the list will only be long once.

Go through the list and read the topics that interest you. Each time you go to a topic and read it, use the back button in your browser to return to the "unread topics" page or simply click that link at the upper right of any 356Talk webpage.

When you are done and have read as many topics as you want to, go to the main page by clicking the "Board Index" link at the upper left, then click "Mark forums read" at the upper right.

Now leave your browser window open. When you come back the next day, click "View unread posts" and you will see a list of all the topics with new posts since your reading session the day before, or however long it has been since you last viewed 356Talk.

So basically you just make one click every day or so and you will be shown a list of all topics with new posts.

The advantage of this approach?

One click to view new topics and posts.

When you are reading the topic you see the new post in the context of the others posts (in the Digest email you only see the new posts and not the previous posts) so it's easier to understand the discussion.

You can reply to a post with just one click on "post reply" because you're already on the web page for that topic, instead of being in your email software.

And you never have to worry about Digest emails getting lost, misplaced in a spam filter, and problems with the Digest software delivery system.

Try it, I think you'll like it.

Best regards,

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:09 am 
356 Fan

Thanks for this tip. It was here a while ago and I have been doing it regularly since then. One change I have made is to right click on the topic and open the link in a new tab. Then if the topic has another link you want to go you don't have to use the back button, just close the new tab and you are back at the topic list. works for me.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:38 pm 
356 Fan

Alec Wilder wrote:
One change I have made is to right click on the topic and open the link in a new tab.

This is best.

Here are some more ways to do the same:
* Hold the Ctrl key while you click the link.
* If your mouse has a scroll wheel that has a button click, click that on the link.