It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:07 pm 
356 Fan

Tag: Porsche enthusiast
Larry, that does sound like "Microsquash Internet Exploder" is logging you out prematurely. I recommend using Google Chrome, though I also use Firefox with any problems. But I am not running the AVG antivirus product.

And yes, jpeg files are always best for posting photos, and keep them small.

Best regards,

Barry

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:24 am 
356 Fan

Barry,
Interesting, what brings you to the conclusion it is the browser as opposed to the website ?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:08 am 
356 Fan

Tag: Official curmudgeon
Larry,

thanks for the tip.

Norm

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:56 am 
356 Fan

Larry Coreth wrote:
Interesting, what brings you to the conclusion it is the browser as opposed to the website ?

Larry, if the website software was causing posts to vanish after hitting the "Submit" button, given that there are 100 or more posts every day, I think I would be receiving a barrage of complaints daily. But I am not. In fact I only rarely hear of that problem; not even once a month. And in a month there are can be 3,000 posts.

So my conclusion is that issue is most likely not due to a flaw in the 356Talk software.

356Talk is run by the phpBB V3 open license software, which is used on literally thousands of online boards; various versions have been used online for many years. If a function as basic as the ability to make a post had a flaw in it, the software would be unusable.

I did not write the 356Talk software and I have no personal interest in defending it. I'm just looking at the facts as I know them.

Again, my recommendation is to try using a browser like Google Chrome or Firefox and see if the problem you have had persists (they are free to download and install, takes a few minutes, why not try?). Also, if you are running AV software, search the web for reports of interaction problems between your browser and your AV software, as Norm did with his AV and IE 8.

Best regards,

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:56 am 
356 Fan

Larry Coreth wrote:
Norm,
That's why I usually write my posts in MS-Word first then copy to the posting box. That way if the post is lost in cyber space I don't lose it all, just re-paste to the posting box and submit!

You could just highlight your text and right click and copy your post before you hit the submit button. Then, if a problem occurs, just paste into a new dialogue box.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:59 am 
356 Fan

I have not had the problem of being logged out by the system with a resultant loss of a post in a while. I have never had another site log me out without a notification that as a result of X min. of inactivity the system will do so in X seconds. Thus using the same reasoning as you, elimination, I have come to a different conclusion ! I suspect that the last overhaul of the Talk software, Sept.-Oct. when it was out of service for some time, after which I was unable to login at all, fixed via work around by administrator, that the log out problem seems to have gone away.
So it may be popular to blame “Microsquash” and Explorer but the facts don’t appear to support that view.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:07 am 
356 Fan

Larry, I am glad to hear that your "log out" problem has not occurred in the past 6 months. I guess we will never know for sure what was causing the problem. But I am not convinced that the website change in October 2010 had anything to do with the problem. We did not change the 356Talk software at that time. The website was redesigned, and 356Talk was migrated from the old Registry site to the new site at a new domain. It was just last month that we changed 356Talk from phpBB V2 to V3.

Best regards,