It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Real name?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:56 am 
356 Fan

Tag: Porsche is a two sylable word!
Mike

Is that you on the left with the umbrella?

John

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:57 pm 
356 Fan

Chuck House wrote:
Wes, Mike,

With all due respect, Barry is not saying anything different than what he's said before or what I've said. Everyone who registers for this site is asked to supply their real name and it is shown in their site profile! I call that a requirement although in practice, there is no way to enforce it without asking for copies of government ID cards which isn't going to happen. Therefore, what you are asking for is already in place.

Their real name is displayed everywhere on this website except the 356Talk forum (this forum is not the entire website but just a page on the main 356 Registry website). The reason is that the software which drives the forum (phpBB3) only has the option of displaying the username, which is used for login purposes and must be unique, unlike the real name field. I spent countless hours trying to get phpBB3 to display the real name but it takes a significant modification of the software which just isn't in the cards. If someone has a username different from their real name, all you have to do from the forum is do one simple click on the profile button on anyone's post to see their real name and one simple click on the "Back" link on their profile to get you back to where you were. It takes a couple of seconds, really!

So, to say it again, everyone is required to give their real name for the site and they are not anonymous which is the whole point. If we could change the forum to not display the username but rather display the real name, we would but there is a large technical hurdle to this. This is not a policy issue. You act like the information is not available to you and it is. Is clicking the profile button to see someone's real name really that big of an issue because that's all this boils down to?

p.s. Mike, everyone is also asked to fill in a manditory field of their city/state/country. The information is also one click away in their profile unless they specifically choose to not share that info, which we leave as an option for privacy concerns.

Also, with all due respect, I've read and re-read this thread several times over. What I'm asking is that you encourage new registrants to use their real name when they pick a user name. This would hopefully minimize the use of strange acronyms and bring back the friendly aspect of the forum. Are you saying this can't be done? If that were the case, why did most of us migrating over from the previous list manage to do so with our real names as the user name? The only conflict I could think of would be from two users having the same real name.

Bear in mind that I'm trying to offer constructive criticism that, it appears, others want too. Frankly, I'm turned off by the recent number of new members who are using various user names that are other than their real name. My tendency is to want to ignore their posts, and I'm not sure that is a good thing.

Hopefully, this clarifies what I've been asking. Anyway, thanks for all the work that all you folks have done. Volunteer organizations can be the pits and we wouldn't get anywhere without the hard work of a few.

Cheers,
Wes

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:16 pm 
356 Fan

So when I post a reply to a thread like this, how do I change the name that appears under "Author" to something other than "Brian R Adams", which is my login name?

Brian

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:46 pm 
356 Fan

Tag: Porsche enthusiast
Brian, what appears under "Author" is your website login "username". You can change a lot of things in your member Profile, but you cannot change your username.

When someone registers for 356Talk they are asked to use their real name as their username. We appreciate it when people do that.

To edit your Profile:

Click the "Membership" link at the upper right of any page

Click "My Profile Page"

Mouse over "edit" and then click "update profile", make your changes, and then save them.

Thanks,

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:45 pm 
356 Fan

Barry,

I don't recall there being a "Username" field to fill out back when I registered years ago. Was that subsequently added?

Brian

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:38 pm 
356 Fan

Tag: Porsche enthusiast
Brian, there has always been a username field for all 356talk registrations. To log in you have to enter a username and password.

Best regards,

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:46 am 
356 Fan

i can say as a veteran one of the most precious freedoms we have is choice. barry changed my username to my real name for me-i don't mind this at all. when i filled out the registration-i used my business name thinking it had to be different from my real name fill-in! the confusion is when you register on the site it asks for a real name and a user name-its simple-state that the user name and real name are the same or delete the user name 'fill-in'. using your real name does promote a friendlier atmosphere.