It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:27 pm 
356 Fan

Tag: See you on the road!
We've added a new Member Car Gallery to the website! Some of you may recall that we had a nice Member Car Gallery a few years ago, however each entry had to be manually created by the webmaster using info/photos emailed by the owner. While it looked nice, it was difficult to create, maintain and eventually the web volunteer bailed and the gallery closed.

Now, we have a new Member Car Gallery which does not require a web designer to enter your car for you. You can create your own layout easily by yourself. Just fill in your information and it will automatically create a nice spread for your car. This is a highly useful tool as it allows other members to view you car's details which is great for their own restoration ideas. Show some pride in your car. Give it a try!

Go to Resources>Member Car Gallery from the top menu.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:14 pm 
356 Fan

A tip of the hat to all who put the Member Car Gallery together--I had fun filling out my entry!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:09 am 
356 Fan

Tag: Porsche enthusiast
Thanks Chuck! I just completed my entry in the T2 coupe section.

NOTE: The box where you enter text for "Car's description/story" is limited to 2,000 (edit: increased to 4000) characters. I entered 1,998 characters and after completing the other fields and selecting 7 photos, clicked the "Submit Listing" form at the bottom of the page. Then I got a message saying I had used too many characters and to click the "Back" button in my browser to return to the submission page. But when I went back everything I had entered was gone. I entered everything again and reduced the text description to 1970 characters and it worked.

RECOMMENDATION: If your text description is close to 2,000 characters (edit: increased to 4000) , before you submit it copy/paste your text into another place on your computer like a text editor or a word processing program. Then if your submission doesn't go through, you can start over and copy/paste your saved text back into the form page, thereby avoiding re-typing it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:12 am 
356 Fan

Yes, nice to have the gallery back.

You will notice if you go into your own listing, push the edit listing button at the bottom left, make a change (or not) and press the submit listing button, that the display is a very nice format...your text description with the photos in full resolution below. If possible, it'd be nice if that was how a member's listing appeared as default when you click on it.

Thanks for adding the gallery.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:18 pm 
356 Fan

Tag: Flying down country roads in Door County
Congratulations, Chuck! Nice addition! :D Fräulein Zuffie is now part of the new album. 8)

That point being made, I hope that this doesn't mean that the old galleries will eventually be deleted. Any news on that, and will we always be limited to just seven pictures?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:40 pm 
356 Fan

Tag: Trailers are for boats.
I just spent an hour preparing the description of my car to upload and got kicked back because I typed in 1963B instead of 1963 B. All data was lost when I was directed to hit the "Back" button.

Geez!! Can't this be fixed?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:49 pm 
356 Fan

John, in the Member Gallery you first select the category you want your car listed in, you don't type in the category. I don't believe your post got "kicked back" because you didn't put a space in your description between "1963" and "B". Maybe I am not understanding exactly what happened to you.

DId you read my post (above) in this topic where I wrote:
Quote:
RECOMMENDATION: If your text description is close to 2,000 characters, before you submit it copy/paste your text into another place on your computer like a text editor or a word processing program. Then if your submission doesn't go through, you can start over and copy/paste your saved text back into the form page, thereby avoiding re-typing it.

Barry

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:13 pm 
356 Fan

Tag: Trailers are for boats.
Barry,

Yes I did. My description was only a few hundred words. Still, one shouldn't have to start all over when hitting the "back" button to correct something.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:11 pm 
356 Fan

One trick that I have learned when I am posting a lengthy post is that I punch "select all" on my computer and then copy the message on my browser memory so that it isn't lost if something like this happens, and it has. A lot on this Forum. Doing this will save you a lot of grief.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:42 pm 
356 Fan

Carl Zapffe wrote:
Congratulations, Chuck! Nice addition! :D Fräulein Zuffie is now part of the new album. 8)

That point being made, I hope that this doesn't mean that the old galleries will eventually be deleted. Any news on that, and will we always be limited to just seven pictures?

Carl,

If you are referring to the old photo gallery, they will eventually go away, however we are trying to transfer some of the photos to the new site. The new photo gallery is very slick. You can create your own folder and upload lots of photos. However, this is different from the layout you get on the Member Car Gallery showcase. The number of photos could be increased for the Member Car Gallery slightly if needed.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:20 pm 
356 Fan

Hi, again, Chuck, Brian, and Barry,

I like the new setup, but for the life of me I don't see how I can upload pictures to a third site. For example, I have a number of pictures of the 2010 ECH, but I don't see what will allow me to post them to that site.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:29 am 
356 Fan

Attention: character count in text description field has been increased to 4,000 characters.

Barry

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:36 pm 
356 Fan

Carl Zapffe wrote:
Hi, again, Chuck, Brian, and Barry,

I like the new setup, but for the life of me I don't see how I can upload pictures to a third site. For example, I have a number of pictures of the 2010 ECH, but I don't see what will allow me to post them to that site.

Carl,

Go to Resources>Photo Gallery>Registry Holidays>2010 ECH Cleveland and you'll see photos that someone else has entered. To upload your photos in the 2010 ECH Cleveland category, click on User Panel>New Picture. It should be self explanatory after that.

Note that you can create your own personal category under Member Photos (you can only create one category). For example, Carl Zapffe's photos. You can then load lots of photos into your personal category.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:09 pm 
356 Fan

Hi, Chuck,

I am sorry to belabor this issue to death and possibly becoming a major PITA in the process, but I am not able to do what you are suggesting. Yes, I can set up a 2010 ECH archive under my own heading, but I don't want to do this as I can only enter one member account.

My problem that I am discussing here is that when I log onto "Registry Holidays" and then onto "2010 ECH," and then click on, in order, "User Panel" and "New Picture," I found that the 2010 ECH is NOT listed under the categories mentioned. (Four other ECHs are listed, but not this one.)

The net result, at least according to my experiences, is that neither I nor anyone else can add to the three pictures that Gordon Maltby added when this feature was in its beta test phase.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:17 pm 
356 Fan

Carl Zapffe wrote:
Hi, Chuck,

I am sorry to belabor this issue to death and possibly becoming a major PITA in the process, but I am not able to do what you are suggesting. Yes, I can set up a 2010 ECH archive under my own heading, but I don't want to do this as I can only enter one member account.

My problem that I am discussing here is that when I log onto "Registry Holidays" and then onto "2010 ECH," and then click on, in order, "User Panel" and "New Picture," I found that the 2010 ECH is NOT listed under the categories mentioned. (Four other ECHs are listed, but not this one.)

The net result, at least according to my experiences, is that neither I nor anyone else can add to the three pictures that Gordon Maltby added when this feature was in its beta test phase.

Carl,

You are not being a PITA and thank you for describing exactly what the problem was. The access for those categories was not set correctly (admins could upload but not members) and I have fixed it so that any member should now be able to upload photos to both the 2010 Holidays. Let me know if you still have a problem.