Dumb luck...

For those who couldn't care less how their 356 left the factory!
Greg Banfill
356 Fan
Tag: I build my cars for me to enjoy, not you

Re: Dumb luck...

#46 Post by Greg Banfill »

A year late, but this was the typical scene around the car every time I pulled it out of the trailer.

Registry Member #30711
54 Outlaw
VW / Porsche - Vintage Warehouse 
Parting 55 Coupe

Tom Bridgers
356 Fan

#47 Post by Tom Bridgers »

As for nose up, Bruce Jennings always had his cars high in the front. Better weight transfer under braking is my best guess. His contemporaries have told me all of his cars were set up this way. Photos prove it. I have an old scrap book with quite an assortment.
I once owned a 911-S that was his personal car and it was set up the same way. High in the front end.

This "slammed" look is really neat though.

Tom
1964 356 SC
1967 911
1974 911
1973 914S
2004 GT3

Greg Banfill
356 Fan

#48 Post by Greg Banfill »

Should have a new Pro Street Plus trans from Rancho any day now.
Plans for a 200+ hp engine called for something with a little more strength than the stock 519 trans could handle.

More on that later....

In the meantime, the stock rebuilt trans has been sold, the 65 SC 1720cc IDA'd engine has been put in the corner, and a new fuel delivery system has been mapped out. Should be a good 2011
Registry Member #30711
54 Outlaw
Parting 55 Coupe

Bob Warner
356 Fan

#49 Post by Bob Warner »

Tom .... my Speedster was found for me by Bruce and set up by Heinz Bade`s shop . All Bruce`s cars I saw were set up with the nose high and lots of rear negative camber .... as was mine . Talked to Bruce about it when I was at Marlboro and was told that it kept the CG in the rear lower so you had less camber change and better rear traction . With most of the weight in the rear , we needed all the help we could get . Raced the car that way from 1966 to 1972 . FWI ... Art Bartholome , Ron Grable`s and others I raced with were also set up that way . I`ve got a bunch of pictures of Bruce at Marlboro in the pushrod car and the Carrera showing them set up that way . Played around with lowering the nose and a lot of other things , but didn`t see a significant difference , until I changed the whole suspension , added adjustable bars in the rear and front and tires got wider and stickier .... but I never had the front higher than the rear .
Bob Warner

Greg Banfill
356 Fan

#50 Post by Greg Banfill »

I did a bomb run to So Cal Thursday and picked up my new trans from Rancho 3.88 Pro Street Plus with HD axles, etc...

I figured I'd sort out the install on the trans tonight and see if my idea for making it fit was *really* going to work.

I had a plan so I had Rancho install one of their new ERCO Bus nose cones on the trans, and give me a spare to probably destroy during mock up....

Here's where it needs to fit.

Using the same mount I use to put a tunnel trans into an early bus I got started.

The mount hit the brake tee here...

So I cut it away, decent fit now.

The nose cone was hitting the hole in the body...

So I hacked it off.

Before

After

The nose cone was then hitting the body a bit, but a little "massaging" with a hammer and it's fine now.

Hockey stick lines up perfectly!

There was some other clearancing I had to do to the nose cone to clear the mount to body nut, but nothing to bad.

I'll swap the modified nose cone with the one on the transmission, clean up my cuts to the brake tee mount as well as the mods to the nose cone and get it all bolted in over the next few weeks as I find time.

All in all a pretty easy / straight forward mod.
Registry Member #30711
54 Outlaw
Parting 55 Coupe

Mike Klapac
356 Fan

#51 Post by Mike Klapac »

I guess that you'll be solid mounting the rear too?

Funny how those pictures and parts look just like putting an IRS trans in my 59 Bus...

Greg Banfill
356 Fan

#52 Post by Greg Banfill »

Mike Klapac wrote:I guess that you'll be solid mounting the rear too?

Funny how those pictures and parts look just like putting an IRS trans in my 59 Bus...
Yep, not sure why people make such a big deal out of putting a VW trans in. Once I saw what I was working with I thought, "Heck I've done this before!"

Not sure what Ill do at the rear just yet.
Registry Member #30711
54 Outlaw
Parting 55 Coupe

Mot Megan
356 Fan
Tag: Reuter Coupe #131754 since March '75

#53 Post by Mot Megan »

Greg,

Nice job! That's almost the same box I now have in my diesel SC, though mine's got 3.44 r&p and a .7 4th. The solid mounting would be scary for me though, as my engine shakes enough as it is -- I had to make rubber mounts for the rear view mirror :shock:

One suggestion -- I would take the time to shape a large and smooth radius where you cut out that web in the casting of the nose cone.

Maybe it would be fine as is, but I'd be worried about a stress riser forming there.

Good luck with it!
By the work, one knows the workman -- La Fontaine

Greg Banfill
356 Fan

#54 Post by Greg Banfill »

Thanks for the words. Diesel SC !?! :shock:

Cleaning up the nose cone cuts was already my plan.
Greg Banfill wrote: I'll swap the modified nose cone with the one on the transmission, clean up my cuts to the brake tee mount as well as the mods to the nose cone and get it all bolted in over the next few weeks as I find time.
After a few days of thinking about it I'm going to take the one off the trans and run it through the mil for smoother / cleaner shaping and set the one pictured aside as a template for later use.

I really looking forward to seeing the car back on 4 wheels here real soon so I can get it on the ground and fit in my new front seat, thanks Dirk!!

Registry Member #30711
54 Outlaw
Parting 55 Coupe

mikeschramm
356 Fan

#55 Post by mikeschramm »

Greg Banfill wrote: I really looking forward to seeing the car back on 4 wheels here real soon so I can get it on the ground and fit in my new front seat, thanks Dirk!!

:shock:
Love it Greg

Mot Megan
356 Fan
Tag: Reuter Coupe #131754 since March '75

#56 Post by Mot Megan »

Greg Banfill wrote:Thanks for the words. Diesel SC !?! :shock:

Yup, I built MY car for ME to enjoy too :wink:

I just hate changing spark plugs: 'Per cogo, non per mico'

By the work, one knows the workman -- La Fontaine

Mike Klapac
356 Fan

#57 Post by Mike Klapac »

I'd be concerned that the nose cone would crack if the back was flexing using non-solid mounts. With a Volks, you can use a Berg intermediate mount, but not on a Pcar with no frame horns.

That things going to be a monster...with a bench seat! I dig it!

Mark Pribanic
356 Fan
Tag: Drive 'Em!

#58 Post by Mark Pribanic »

mikeschramm wrote:
Greg Banfill wrote: I really looking forward to seeing the car back on 4 wheels here real soon so I can get it on the ground and fit in my new front seat, thanks Dirk!!

:shock:
Love it Greg
X2. Very Noice!
Mark Pribanic
Registry# 13617
Florida Owners Group Trustee - 2008-2010
Neptune Beach, Florida USA
Instagram: Mark.Pribanic

Greg Scallon
356 Fan

#59 Post by Greg Scallon »

I too love what you're doing Greg and thank you for cataloging the process in notes and pictures. Super interesting.

Hopefully, when the time is right, we can get a look at the power plant you'll be putting in there too.

Regards,
-Greg
'58 Speedster
'56 VW Deluxe Microbus 

Greg Banfill
356 Fan

#60 Post by Greg Banfill »

Greg Scallon wrote:I too love what you're doing Greg and thank you for cataloging the process in notes and pictures. Super interesting.

Hopefully, when the time is right, we can get a look at the power plant you'll be putting in there too.

Regards,
-Greg
Thanks for the words.

I'm actually keeping a good account of it on my LowBus.com site. The thread isn't public yet (waiting for it to be done) when it is I'll post a link or copy some of it here.

I'm going with BIG VW power though. Something I know and gives you more for your buck.
Registry Member #30711
54 Outlaw
Parting 55 Coupe