Hello from Nortern California

For those who couldn't care less how their 356 left the factory!
Greg Banfill
356 Fan
Tag: I build my cars for me to enjoy, not you

Hello from Nortern California

#1 Post by Greg Banfill »

I'm new to 356 ownership, but have been around them and older VW's for quite some time now.

I recently picked up a '54 Coupe that I found on the Samba. It was also for sale here, but I guess no one was interested.

It's a basket case and needs a lot of attention. I'm sure I'll have many questions along the way.

Peter, the seller was great to deal with and I think he's just as happy I got this car as I am.

The car was originally sold in Santa Rosa (where I live) Pete picked it up about 20 miles from my house, one of the old "pink slips" (titles) that came with the car is an address within a mile from my house, so I'm pretty stoked about bringing it back home.

Anyway, here's my car.

As bought heading home on the trailer

and a few hours after getting it to my shop.

I plan on building an "Outlaw" of sorts so I figured I'd start with the wheels and suspension (what I do and know best)

2.5" dropped spindles with disc brakes in the font now with 4.5" Fuchs, and lowered 1 inner spline in the rear with deep 6" Fuchs in the rear on adapters.

Eventually I plan on switching out the brakes for these B brakes (currently on the vert pictured above) already set up for the 5 x 130 pattern.

and if I can get these fronts to work without needing the massive spacer with my 4.5's I'll switch to these B brakes on the front as well.

I've started ging through the boxes of parts I got with the car and I know I'll be searching for some stuff as well as needing help with info as time goes by.
Registry Member #30711
54 Outlaw
VW / Porsche - Vintage Warehouse 
Parting 55 Coupe

Mark Pribanic
356 Fan
Tag: Drive 'Em!

#2 Post by Mark Pribanic »

Greg,
Your '54 looks really solid. I love the stance you chose above. Have you thought about what color you may paint it? I know, along ways away...but still curious to know. Keep us posted on your progress, pics especially appreciated.

Mark
Mark Pribanic
Registry# 13617
Florida Owners Group Trustee - 2008-2010
Neptune Beach, Florida USA
Instagram: Mark.Pribanic

Greg Banfill
356 Fan

#3 Post by Greg Banfill »

Mark Pribanic wrote:Image

Greg,
Your '54 looks really solid. I love the stance you chose above. Have you thought about what color you may paint it? I know, along ways away...but still curious to know. Keep us posted on your progress, pics especially appreciated.

Mark
Thanks Mark.

I've actually been going over colors with the guy who is going to be helping me with the build up today.

Beige Grey (Greenish Grey color) was my original thought, but now I'm swaying towards a Brown or Blue. Who knows, like you said it's a long way off right now. The COA says Silver with Red interior. I like that, but there are too many Silver 356's out there already.
Registry Member #30711
54 Outlaw
Parting 55 Coupe

Mark Pribanic
356 Fan

#4 Post by Mark Pribanic »

Greg Banfill wrote:I've actually been going over colors with the guy who is going to be helping me with the build up today.

Beige Grey (Greenish Grey color) was my original thought, but now I'm swaying towards a Brown or Blue. Who knows, like you said it's a long way off right now. The COA says Silver with Red interior. I like that, but there are too many Silver 356's out there already.
Beige Grey is less common. I agree that there are too many silver 356's(and red). No offense to all you silver and red owners...Since you are going with an outlaw, I think a vintage color, not necessarily Porsche color, would stand out more. Emory built Outlaw's always seem to have a good selection of diverse colors.

Looking forward to following your progress.
Mark Pribanic
Registry# 13617

Bob Watts
356 Fan

#5 Post by Bob Watts »

Hi Greg,

Welcome to this great group!
Bluebird56 says HI to your friend.

Bob Watts

Joey Bautista
356 Fan

#6 Post by Joey Bautista »

Bent windshield, killer dash, beehive taillamps, can't get any cooler than that ! Pls post progress of this awesome project as I would like to own a pre A coupe Outlaw myself.
Question: did you just re drill the wide 5 bolt pattern & made it into a narrow 5 without changing over to disc brakes ? :shock: I am also a newbie so sorry if its a lame question.

Greg Banfill
356 Fan

#7 Post by Greg Banfill »

Thanks. I always wanted a 356. Never though my first would be a Pre A though.

As for the brakes, right now they are disk in the front, Pre A in the rear with adapters. When I'm done they will be "B" brakes re-drilled for the smaller pattern on all 4 corners if things go right.
Registry Member #30711
54 Outlaw
Parting 55 Coupe

Mark Pribanic
356 Fan

#8 Post by Mark Pribanic »

Greg,
I noticed the brakes, spindles and 519 tranny are up for sale. I was curious what type of tranny you may be going with on your outlaw?

Any new pics? Plans? Updates?

Looking forward to your build!
Mark Pribanic
Registry# 13617

Greg Banfill
356 Fan

#9 Post by Greg Banfill »

Mark Pribanic wrote:Greg,
I noticed the brakes, spindles and 519 tranny are up for sale. I was curious what type of tranny you may be going with on your outlaw?

Any new pics? Plans? Updates?

Looking forward to your build!
Pro Street VW trans mated to a 2276cc with IDA's.

No new pics yet. I'm collecting parts right now. Once I have everything I'll start mocking things up and taking pictures.
Registry Member #30711
54 Outlaw
Parting 55 Coupe

#10 Post by Guest »

Hey Greg that looks a great project I also have a 54 as well. Where in Nor Cal are you? I am coming over in 10 weeks to Ca would love to see this if I am in the area... I think this is going to make a great Outlaw..

Greg Banfill
356 Fan

#11 Post by Greg Banfill »

I'm in Santa Rosa, about and hour North of San Fransisco right on the 101 freeway.
Registry Member #30711
54 Outlaw
Parting 55 Coupe

#12 Post by Guest »

oh ok I know I am going to Napa Valley. This does look the makings of some thing good. Not read all the post but have you a spec your working towards

Mark

Greg Banfill
356 Fan

#13 Post by Greg Banfill »

Napa is near me.

I'm shooting for a stock "looking" car with massive running gear.
Low and fast
Registry Member #30711
54 Outlaw
Parting 55 Coupe

Jim Karaba
356 Fan

#14 Post by Jim Karaba »

Thats going to be a cool ride. My last car was a 53 coupe and I also had a 2276 VW engine in it. I had air conditioning too. The car was a blast. Can't wait to see yours when it's done.
JIM

Greg Banfill
356 Fan

#15 Post by Greg Banfill »

Any helpful hints you have with fitting sheet metal in the engine bay would be great.

Detailed pics would be even better.

Nice looking car too!
Registry Member #30711
54 Outlaw
Parting 55 Coupe