Simplest and easiest way to change rear camber angle

For those who couldn't care less how their 356 left the factory!
Ron LaDow
356 Fan

Simplest and easiest way to change rear camber angle

#31 Post by Ron LaDow »

"Well Mr. Brisco, I would point out that numerous surveys have
consistantly revealed that among the members of Gen. X, Y, and Z
(those most likely to be inexperienced mechanics), there is a
widely-held belief that "if its on the web, it must be true". The
precipitous drop in the patronage of the established news media
clearly supports this hypothesis."

I don't have the u-tube addy, but that sound is Mr. Ockham taching at redline in his grave...
Thanks,
Ron LaDow

Post generated using Mail2Forum via email.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Diana Bergen
356 Fan

SJ's Camber

#32 Post by Diana Bergen »

SJ , I do believe your Camber needs checking , as you appear a bit off . Probably should seek some professional help w that as you wouldn't want to attempt any home remedies , like TAKE A NAP.
 Uwe & Diana

Jing Pong
356 Fan

#33 Post by Jing Pong »

S.J. Szabo wrote:Well Mr. Brisco, I would point out that numerous surveys have consistantly revealed that among the members of Gen. X, Y, and Z (those most likely to be inexperienced mechanics), there is a widely-held belief that "if its on the web, it must be true".
Since your comments are also on the web, we can safely ignore them as well.

Thank you for your public service announcement!

PS This isn't rocket science guys, if you really need 3 pages of discussion on how to lower a rear end on a torsion based car, then seriously, step away from the wrenches, and go grab your cheque books.
1965 356

Jing Pong
356 Fan

#35 Post by Jing Pong »

I think I figured out why VW's are cheap and Porches are expensive. Porch guys write cheques, VW guys work on their own cars!

Look at the samba, it's got millions of threads on 'how to' do stuff, and people working on their VW's.

The 356 Registry has, well, not so much. Not even close. Even a simple (and it is simple) thing as lowering the rear end of a 356 is a huge debate. More than a few people have said, 'pay a professional'. Whereas you would never hear something like that on the samba.

Anyways, keep up the debate guys, I'm going to 'work' on my VW/356. (And because of that, they won't wind up being 30-40K when it comes time to sell them, is that because of all the hyper-inflated prices due to paying 'professionals'?)
1965 356

Dan Macdonald
356 Fan

#36 Post by Dan Macdonald »

Part of it is that Porsche guys know how to spell Porsche. It's more complicated than VW or "Porche" or "Porch". :D
Dan Macdonald 
'59 A Coupe (105327) 
'57 Speedster (82954) 
Registry #1921 (1982) 
DMAIA@aol.com
My YouTube Channel: Tinmeister 356

Jing Pong
356 Fan

#37 Post by Jing Pong »

Dan Macdonald wrote:Part of it is that Porsche guys know how to spell Porsche. It's more complicated than VW or "Porche" or "Porch". :D
Dar, yargh ye matie! Becasee speeling relly helps you feex dem Porchs.

But it sure does help when it comes to writing cheques! You've proved my point perfectly, thank you!

;)
1965 356

mikeschramm
356 Fan

#38 Post by mikeschramm »

Here is a good chart based on 44 outter splines and 40 inner splines. On my car I did two inners up and one outter down. The rear can be adjusted in 1/4" increments down by adjusting one inner up and one outter down or 1/4" higher by adjusting one outter up and one inner down. This is good info not just to "lower" the car but for making weight adjustment for the track.

Al Zim
356 Fan

Lowering the car

#39 Post by Al Zim »

I have a 1957 coupe that I wanted to lower the rear. Being lazy, I opted to put 19MM carrera (3/4 inch) spacers on the front and rear. The 4.5 inch wheels fill the wheel well and there is enough decamber to make the top of the wheel move toward the inside of the car. There is also full support of the torsion bar. ONCE YOU PULL THE AXLE TUBES LOOSE YOU WILL PROBABLY NOT BE ABLE TO SET THE TOE IN ON THE REAR WHEELS PROPERLY.
In order to do this you must acertain the centerline of the car, and set each rear wheel to that centerline. Then you can set the front wheels to match the centerline and set their toe in. This can be done with a sring set up. Each time you raise the car, you will have to drive it for 5 miles to let everything settle. al zim
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

mikeschramm
356 Fan

#40 Post by mikeschramm »

As the rear lowers the more they will have toe in.

Mark Pribanic
356 Fan
Tag: Drive 'Em!

#41 Post by Mark Pribanic »

Mike,
I think thats the same spline count outer & inner I did as well. However, its been along time. For reference, can you post a side & rear picture of the stance of your 356?

Thanks
Mark Pribanic
Registry# 13617
Florida Owners Group Trustee - 2008-2010
Neptune Beach, Florida USA
Instagram: Mark.Pribanic

mikeschramm
356 Fan

#42 Post by mikeschramm »

WELL..... The car looks like a turd with a good stance ...hahaha...It has a long way to go ....but yes, I will post some pictures.. I have 2.5" dropped spindels in the front as well. The pictures are on my home computer so I will post them after work.

mike

Frederic Prince
356 Fan

#43 Post by Frederic Prince »

Hi all ;)
Can someone explain me why, if I go rear for several meters, the rear of the car goes higher and the rear wheels are much like a V (more positif camber).

How do you explain this ??
thanks
fred ;)
1991 - 1993 - 2,7 Targa
2004 - 2013 - 993 Targa
2015 - 2016 3,2 Targa '84
2008...356 roadster T5 S90
2013...2,4 E 72 Sunroof under restoration
2016...3,2 Targa '86
2018...3,2 Speedster '89

mikeschramm
356 Fan

#44 Post by mikeschramm »

Mark, I wont post many pics on here because I am relatively new and dont want people to rain fire on me for lowering my car :shock: but here are a couple pictures. The first picture is the car on some spare wheels that I use to push it around with 165 tires. It is hard to see the fender height due to the angle of the shot. In the second pic I got down even with the fender so you can see that the fender lip is just a hair below the top of the rim. Also, the secound pic shows the wheel and tire combo that I will be running.

Greg Scallon
356 Fan

#45 Post by Greg Scallon »

Hey Mike,
I for one would appreciate seeing more photos of your car's stance. No fire raining here. The level rear shot is helpful but a side shot showing the full length of the car would be great. Also, what rim/tire combo will you run? Are those 5.5" steel rims?

Thanks in advance. Looks like a good project.
'58 Speedster
'56 VW Deluxe Microbus