Outlaw Badge: WOW! + Suggestion for 356Talk

For those who couldn't care less how their 356 left the factory!
Bill Waite
356 Fan

Outlaw Badge: WOW! + Suggestion for 356Talk

#1 Post by Bill Waite »

Dirk Heinrich has done the 356 "outlaw crowd" a great service with the design and production of his "Outlaw Road Racing" badge and decals. Received my badge and two decals today and could not be more pleased! When I finish the restoration of our 356C "Reversible Outlaw" the badge will be proudly placed on the rear deck lid. If you have not seen the results of his efforts, this is the link http://www.356registry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5362.

To the "powers that be" who make the decisions on the 356 Talk List, I'd like to once again suggest that in addition to the "general" 356Talk Forum, that the following Forum "breakdowns" be added: "Outlaws" and "Concours." While postings to 356Talk would continue to be of general interest to all 356er's, the purists and hot rodders amongst us could post topics of specific interest to their own sub-groups under those headings.

Yes, I know it could be a "slippery slope" because there are any number of forums that could be added. But, I humbly suggest that this basic breakdown separating "Concours" and "Outlaw / Non-stock" would be a plus for 356Talk. Check out the 912 Forum at http://www.912bbs.org/. Others, like the Alfa Forum, have added even more detail: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/
Bill Waite
Grand Rapids, MI

1965 356C Coupe "Reversible Outlaw"

JOEL JENSEN

#2 Post by JOEL JENSEN »

Bill,
It's just as easy to ignore posts that don't pique your interest. It also
promotes division in the group instead of inclusion and would require
another monitor or two to oversee each venue. I consider myself to
be among the 'modification friendly' faction. However I was under the
impression that 'Outlaw' indicated someone who was not only different,
but tough enough to take the heat.
Regards,
Joel
Last edited by JOEL JENSEN on Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Christopher Toy
356 Fan
Tag: Turbo Addict

Re: Outlaw Badge: WOW! + Suggestion for 356Talk

#3 Post by Christopher Toy »

Bill Waite wrote:. . . .To the "powers that be" who make the decisions on the 356 Talk List, I'd like to once again suggest that in addition to the "general" 356Talk Forum, that the following Forum "breakdowns" be added: "Outlaws" and "Concours." . . . .
I second the motion.
Too often here, the vilification/criticism of those of us that chose to modify our 356's is unnecessarily condescending and mean spirited.
"We" have great respect for those 356 owners that chose to restore their vehicles to original condition and truly appreciate how difficult/expensive the process is, especially the A and pre A series cars.
Quite frankly, it's disheartening to hear and read the negative bias of some hard core "purists."
Addition of an Outlaw Forum would eliminate all exposure of our vehicles from those who clearly detest them.
Last edited by Christopher Toy on Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Toy
Talk Moderator

Thomas Canty
356 Fan

#4 Post by Thomas Canty »

Last edited by Thomas Canty on Tue May 04, 2010 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dirk Heinrich
356 Fan

#6 Post by Dirk Heinrich »

Thx Bill - really nice words from you!

Regardless of a separate section in the forum or not, it is good to know that there are a lot out there, that drive/use them, tinker with them, and customize - I have had a great response and that is from only posting the badge here.

... just last Sunday when I picked up my 1966 VW Kombi from Colorado, Norm picked me up in his stone grey '59 Carrara GT. I loved the patina it has ... and of course the performance. Norm has a badge :)

Mike Acebo
356 Fan

Outlaw Badge

#7 Post by Mike Acebo »

Kind of thought I was an Outlaw when I moved into a 356 from my 60 VW in 1971. All my friends had Mustang's, GTO's & Camero's. " I was under the
impression that "Outlaw" indicated someone who was not only different,
but tough enough to take the heat." Sounds like the old guys you mention, just for buying these cars.
My car is stock just like I bought it only because it is easier to keep it that way, I like to drive it more then work on it. Love the work all of you "Outlaw" guys do and enjoy seeing your work on these pages. Keep on posting. Sure would like an Outlaw in the garage if I could ever afford another 356. Prices are up a bit from when I bought mine.
I do have a Jeff Gamble Arizona Outlaw badge as I am sure I was the only cowboy in AZ carrying a saddle in the back of a 356 coupe instead of a truck, kind of an Outlaw thing.
Nice work on your badge, Dirk!

Cory Drake
356 Fan

#8 Post by Cory Drake »

I'm a big fan of the badge, Dirk. Very impressive!
UFO pilot since May of 2000.

mike southard
356 Fan

#9 Post by mike southard »

Are these badges still available?

Christopher Toy
356 Fan

#10 Post by Christopher Toy »

mike southard wrote:Are these badges still available?
The badge's originator is Dirk Heinrich. His phone number info posted 2-years ago was 626-484-0039.
Chris Toy
Talk Moderator

Antoine Godschalk
356 Fan

#11 Post by Antoine Godschalk »

I've contacted Dirk already by e-mail.

If those grill badges are no longer for sale it perhaps would be an idea to produce a new lot. I'm interested already! :wink:

mike southard
356 Fan

#12 Post by mike southard »

Traded e-mails with Dirk and found out same. As I mentioned to him I believe
there is a healthy market for something as unique as his baadge. I would be very interested!!!

Dirk Heinrich
356 Fan

#13 Post by Dirk Heinrich »

I am glad to see that there is still talk about the badge. They came as a signed and limited edition of 250. That is it - no new badge and no re-edition. Sorry.
BadgeOLRR1.jpg
Still available are these:
gold1.jpg

Lenny Santora
356 Fan

#14 Post by Lenny Santora »

I recently purchased one of the Gold Outlaw decals from Dirk..What a nice product!
My only concern at this point is the correct adhesive to use in securing the decal to the rear of the vehicle. If anyone has already installed/secured one of these..Please share with me your thoughts. I really don't want to damaged the paint and/or loose the decal.

Christopher Toy
356 Fan

#15 Post by Christopher Toy »

Lenny Santora wrote:I recently purchased one of the Gold Outlaw decals from Dirk..What a nice product!
My only concern at this point is the correct adhesive to use in securing the decal to the rear of the vehicle. If anyone has already installed/secured one of these..Please share with me your thoughts. I really don't want to damaged the paint and/or loose the decal.
Suggest 3M Super Strong Automotive Adhesive Tape.
It's a double sided tape engineered for use in attaching auto emblems to a painted surface.
I have not used it to secure a badge. I have used it to secure the Porsche emblem, (studs ground off) and other script to the back of a 356.
Follow the directions, it will do the job. Once the badge is attached to the paint using this adhesive, you won't even begin to be able to pry the badge off with your fingers.
If you ever want/need to remove the badge, use dental floss to shear adhesive bond and not hurt the paint.
To remove residual adhesive left on the paint in event the badge is removed, use Naptha (Lighter Fluid).
The tape should be available at any good automotive paint/paint prep supply store or on line via several sellers.
Here's one http://www.autogeek.net/3m-auto-tape.html
Chris Toy
Talk Moderator