It was such a nice day . . .

For those who couldn't care less how their 356 left the factory!
Graham Kerr
356 Fan

It was such a nice day . . .

#1 Post by Graham Kerr »

We've been having some rather hot weather here in UK land, temps up around the 30's so last Sunday thought we would forego the a/c in the 997 and Cayenne and get the Mexican a/c on full power in the 356 (quarter lights turned full out) and go to a local classic car meet. There are all sorts of cars at a UK classics meet, early French, 80's group B rally machines, some American muscle and strange mid wars English stuff. And our 356 of course. So we rapped cars most of the day, had some nice food then packed up for home but unfortunately we never made it back. Our journey was rudely interrupted by a motorist who decided to modify my right wing by turning right into me without looking. 6 years of restoration gone in a second. I wasn't mad, just mortified. I sat by the road with my head in my hands. The other driver, an elderly woman admitted that it was her fault totally and her insurance company will pay for all repairs. But I really don't want anybody else working on my car. I welded it, leaded it, prepped it, painted it, rewired it, fixed all the mechanicals, I even tracked it. How can I let some shop do My car. Anyway here are some pics.
Attachments
DSCN2126.JPG
DSCN2125.JPG
DSCN2129.JPG
86 SSE Turbo Look 3.2 Carrera
Cole Foster Chop
75 Honda ST70
94 Buell ST2
74 Dax Cobra
18 Macan Turbo
62 356B T6 (modified)

C J Murray
356 Fan

Re: It was such a nice day . . .

#2 Post by C J Murray »

I'm very sorry.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Glen Hamner, Jr
356 Fan
Tag: '63 S/R project, '80 911SC, '11 Cayenne

#3 Post by Glen Hamner, Jr »

Time to pour some more love into your past handywork. Sure wish I had your skills working metal and paint. Make yourself proud and show us your process, maybe more of the faithful will come to appreciate your techniques and then go forth to where we've been fearful to go before. Looking forward to the rest of this story. Your shade of blue is a bit lighter than that I chose from our project, looking forward to seeing that beauties smile back where it belongs.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#4 Post by Mike Wilson »

I feel your pain....

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

John Lindstrom
356 Fan

#5 Post by John Lindstrom »

What did the other car look like after?

Graham Kerr
356 Fan

#6 Post by Graham Kerr »

It was a Honda Jazz (small SUV) and it had a tiny dent in the bumper (fender). However I have found the UK equivalent of Steve Hoegh (LA master metalworker) who is going to do the repair. When I fitted the front panels, which were in two pieces, I cut out the section which had the holes for the horn grills and indicators then welded in sheet steel to form a smooth custom front to the front panel. The metal man says he can duplicate this no problem, so I think all will be well. Although his workshop is a good 200 miles from me, I shall be driving down to view the progress of work and hopefully post some pics in the upcoming weeks.
I shall be attending the East Coast Holiday in Atlantic City and I did have a hope of shipping out my car for the event but with all this going on plus the car needs a gearbox rebuild, I don't think this will be possible.
86 SSE Turbo Look 3.2 Carrera
Cole Foster Chop
75 Honda ST70
94 Buell ST2
74 Dax Cobra
18 Macan Turbo
62 356B T6 (modified)