Remote Oil Filter/Cooler Installations

For those who couldn't care less how their 356 left the factory!
marcsherriff
356 Fan

Remote Oil Filter/Cooler Installations

#1 Post by marcsherriff »

Following on from my last post topic.
Anyone have any photos of their Remote Full flow Oil filter, and/or Cooler install?
I have read that placing them in the left rear wheel well, is convenient, and effective.
I am particularly interested to see where the filter is mounted.
Any help, or suggestions welcome.
Marc Sherriff
Marc and Cars
www.youtube.com/c/marcandcars

Perth.
Western Australia.

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

Re: Remote Oil Filter/Cooler Installations

#2 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Left rear wheel well is USELESS for the oil cooler.

John Lindstrom
356 Fan

#3 Post by John Lindstrom »

On the old VW’s we used to mount them on the outside, on the top, on the rear, on the side.. Top of car worked the best.

That would be rather interesting, seeing an oil cooler mounted on the top of a 356..

Craig Richter
356 Fan

#4 Post by Craig Richter »

John, tongue is firmly planted in cheek I'm hoping. The worst outlaw wouldn't even do that...

Mark, the remote full-flow system is not that difficult. Many pics and diagrams in old topics here. If you can grab a copy of that 35-year-old "How to make an old Porsche cry", there are several drawings with explanation. Vic's totally right about cooler mounting in the wheel well, completely useless; but it's a great place for the filter. We had Speedy over in Austria for a couple of years, and tackled 2+kilometer steep climbs from 7-9000+ft elevations, flat out in 3rd @ 5500+rpm, and the temp never went above 240. Hot but not dangerous, and Speedy always fired right up after a coffee break. Complete faith, because you're in the middle of nowhere, and my German's not that good. You will never need a supplement cooler!

C J Murray
356 Fan

#5 Post by C J Murray »

Craig Richter wrote:"How to make an old Porsche cry"
Cry? :D

Thinking outside the box.... would our cars be better off without a cooler in the fan housing but with only a cooler up front in the cool airflow? This is what the racers do but I think it may be a good idea to try on the street. Without the cooler on top of the engine the 3/4 side of the engine would get better cooling. Using motorcycles as an example I doubt the cooler is needed at idle or light load slow running. Oil cooling is required most during periods of heavy load while producing maximum power and that is happening only when the car is moving. Maybe the front only cooler would need to be a bit larger but being in cold air, maybe not. Maybe an auxiliary electric fan would be needed but maybe not. A thermostat to bypass the cooled is advised for warm-up and avoiding too low oil temps.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

William Block
356 Fan
Tag: blocklab

#6 Post by William Block »

In my series of one -- placing a remote oil filter in the left rear fender is a really bad idea. It does not demonstrably lower oil temperature. Worse, every time you try to drop the engine you must break the lines. This is a real pain give the marginal clearances and you need special wrenches. Last time I did this, as I was installing the return line to the third piece of the case I heard a popping noise -- I thought to myself "this can't be good." I had Silk, aka the fabulous Freda start the motor -- it looked like the Andrea Doria had been torpedoed. Falling back on my invariable plan B (throwing money at the problem) I removed the third piece of the case, dropped it off with Dick Weiss on our way to Helen, called Ron LaDow and had his engine mounted oil filter shipped to Dick. I picked up the repaired and modified third piece on the way back and installed it. Now that dropping the engine is no longer a problem, i haven't had to. Last thought, after several removals the Aeroquip lines fray and become painfully sharp. I took the system (Ray Litz adaptor) to the SIC swap meet but forgot to take out of the car. It's for sale.
Once reviews columnist and now unofficial, self-appointed registrar for the register.
Blocks Books www.BLOCKS-BOOKS.COM
7295 Coldspring Ln. West Bloomfield, MI 48322 USA
248/672-2637 blocklab@gmail.com
1953/1952 1500N coupe #11994
1957 Super tractor #133/7622
1959/1958 1600N sunroof coupe #106072
1965/1964 356C Porsche cabriolet #161564
1966/1965 911 coupe #303269
1970 914/6 2.8 modified #9140432388
1998/1998 Silk, aka the fabulous Freda’s Boxter WPOCA2983WS621230
Bill Block
BLOCKS-BOOKS.COM
248/672-2637 blocklab@gmail.com
1500N coupe #11994
S tractor #133/7622
1600N S/R #106072
356C cab #161564
911 #303269
914/6 2.8 #9140432388 (for sale)
Freda’s Boxster WPOCA2983WS621230

Craig Richter
356 Fan

#7 Post by Craig Richter »

I've never tried one of Ron's systems, but it looks like an ingenious bit of engineering and gets rid of all that plumbing Bill's had problems with. Jack has installed a bunch of them, and they reportedly work very well.
Mounting the filter in the left rear fender well doesn't really have much to with lowering the oil temperature, it's just a handy open area. I use flat Oberg filters mounted to the bumper bracket, and have done and seen many other make filters mounted the same way. Loosen 2 bolts and the whole system drops with the motor. I haven't undone the lines on Speedy's filter in 20 years, through several clutch replacements. Same with Lucretia, the '60 S90 Sunroof Jack just restored. Breaking the third piece of the case is a mechanic problem.

Mark Schumacher
356 Fan

#8 Post by Mark Schumacher »

I have a canton-Mecca race oil filter mounted in the left rear area. I can drop the engine and filter as a unit. No issues after 10 yrs of use. Having said that, if I did it again I would use Ron’s set-up

Mark Sabbann
356 Fan

#9 Post by Mark Sabbann »

C J Murray wrote:Without the cooler on top of the engine the 3/4 side of the engine would get better cooling.
CJ, How do you know that the sizing of the cooler doesn't already compensate for the impact it might have from it's location on the engine? In other words, Porsche engineers knew that locating the cooler where they did would affect the heat transfer in that area so they tweaked the size of the cooler to offset the lack of cooling/added heat in that location.
Mark Sabbann
1964 SC Coupe 'Essy'
1965 C Coupe 'The Yellow Delicious'

C J Murray
356 Fan

#10 Post by C J Murray »

I don't actually know.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Craig Richter
356 Fan

#11 Post by Craig Richter »

Cliff... :D

If I was doing a new full-flow today, I'd try one of PreMat's pump covers too. When I did my systems, Ron was just a baby...

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#12 Post by Wes Bender »

... but he turned out to be a very smart baby. ++1 on his full flow system. I love it.

By the way Craig, a few years ago I bought the PDF version of your book. Thanks for allowing that to happen.

Cheers,
Wes
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Craig Richter
356 Fan

#13 Post by Craig Richter »

Cheers back at ya, Wes

Adrian Rendle
356 Fan

#14 Post by Adrian Rendle »

anyone had any further thoughts on CJ's suggestions...its pretty clear to me that cyl 3 & 4 are poorly cooled compared to 1 & 2 : the flow is all wrong, passages are probably undersized, especially when the cooler gets gunked up....its the equivalent of having a fixed engine-driven fan on a water-cooled engine....CJ's suggestions must surely be the ideal: potentially faster warm-up and more stable temps...this has got to be the next best engine mod after full-flow filtration and fuel injection/ignition management....but a front-mounted cooler would be too much for us street guys, wouldn't it? And, i'd always use the 'old-timer' method of full-flow to get instant pressure to the mains.

Paul Lima
356 Fan

#15 Post by Paul Lima »

I've a few comments on these 2 different subjects. First, for a full flow oil filter (imho the most significant improvement you can make to a 356) there are two commonly used locations: the PM version that mounts on the oil pump cover, and several versions which mount the filter in the LR wheel well with hoses to/from engine. Both work well for their intended job, but neither does much for additional oil cooling. One could make a case that adding the additional oil capacity helps cooling but that is a small incidental effect. WRT additional cooling, there are countless posts on the subject, from getting the car tuned correctly to adding a cooler in the front of the car. My main point is that these are two separate subjects.