It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: polo engine feedback?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:20 am 
356 Fan

Hi All,
Can anyone comment with first hand experience of owning, driving and maintaining a polo engine? I am in process of a build and am torn on what I am doing for an engine.
Thanks,
Matt F.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:32 am 
356 Fan

Hi Matt
What are you trying to achieve in your engine selection. The Polo is basically a custom engine and is not something you build with the Maestro videos. you have to add an oil tank and make other modifications to a 356 to accommodate it and to maximize the potential. From an economic viewpoint you should install a POLO in an outlaw. a stock 356 does not benefit value wise from having a Polo. if you have latemodel aircooled 911 engines laying around and you built a few 911 engines go for it. If you don't do your own maintenance and have had early 911s check with your provider.
j

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:47 am 
356 Fan

Jacques,
Thanks for the feedback. It is an Outlaw build and I am torn between the polo and rebuild of a 911. I am curious on longevity of a polo, the 911 is proven. The polo will inevitably cost more and I am aware of that. Weight of 911 motor and getting all of that right (suspension, etc) in a car it simply was never intended for I am sure can be successful but not sure I want to go there. My inclination is to save my pennies and buy a 911 down the road and for now go with the polo but I just want to learn anyone's feedback who has experience/ ownership with one regarding longevity, maintenance, etc.
Thanks,
Matt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:29 pm 
356 Fan

Hi Matt
Depending on the configuration the engines should be comparable to early carburetor 911s. There have been a few Polos with aftermarket fuel injection. i have heard of some problems with oil pump pickup and premature cam wear. I believe they have been addressed. I don't think any of the engines have had over 50K miles although 911s especially those with DME can go 200K easy. Anyone capable of doing maintenance on a 911 can maintain a Polo. What you have to realize is that the non 911 items are custom made and can have issues and require a good engine builder to work out the peculiarities.
j