1959 cabriolet top bows

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Max Handley
356 Fan

1959 cabriolet top bows

#1 Post by Max Handley »

Anyone familiar with this product. It came with my car which is at least 6 years old. It's embossed with the # 1959. Would like to know the Mfg and approximate year made.

Thanks Max
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Last edited by Max Handley on Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
 Contact email Spyderwerks@comcast.net

Martin Benade
356 Fan

Re: 1959 cabriolet top bows

#2 Post by Martin Benade »

What product? It looks like a cab top frame with some broken fasteners
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Max Handley
356 Fan

#3 Post by Max Handley »

Yes the 2 forward fasteners are not broken just not drilled and bolted, not sure if they came that way For installer to-finish or what ?The rear barrel adjuster lower rod on the drivers side was cut thru , I welded and metal finished and adjusted to same length as pass.side.ive noticed these adjusters on bows that came from the factory once fitted and adjusted for proper length were drilled thru and pinned in place , anyone know what I'm referring too. Middle picture shows the factory piece.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.png
image.jpeg
Last edited by Max Handley on Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:06 am, edited 4 times in total.

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#4 Post by Martin Benade »

So it is a never-installed top frame? I take it both sides are undrilled? I don't know about that, but another thought/question. I played with the adjuster barrels on my top, they didn't change anything very quickly. As far as I could figure they adjust the angle of the top frame to match the angle of the side window glass, (the angle of the rear vertical edge of the glass to the horizontal top edge of the glass). Does anybody know if this is correct?
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Max Handley
356 Fan

#5 Post by Max Handley »

Martin From what I see that makes sense. Adjusting those pieces diffently changes the angle of the top frame . Here's a few more pics of my frame. As mentioned the 2 front hinge pieces were not attached. No thru holes on the center tongues and no bolts for same. Not an easy job to mark and drill . Also had to remove som metal on the right side so it would close properly and allow the hinge to go flat also allowing the tongue to fit correctly. Anyone else had to deal with these issues on an aftermarket bow set for a Cabriolet.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Max Handley
356 Fan

#6 Post by Max Handley »

Got some 2" 6mm bolt a form HD. Had to increase the thread length by approx. 1/4"" . Tapped & drilled the front hinge tongues with a just over 6mm titanium drill bit. Still curious why the MFG. didn't complete this process.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg