It is currently Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Interior - What to do?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:34 pm 
356 Fan

I have been thinking and re-thinking this and thought I would ask for some opinions. I am not sure how long I will own the car. I am doing this as a fun project that I can learn from.

I acquired a 64 356SC shell last year that had been the start of an outlaw project for someone else. They welded up all of the thru holes on the car (bumpers, horns, front turn signals, side moldings, exhaust, etc). So I decided that since this was done I would just keep going with the theme.

So now I come to the interior. I can think of several options and I am hoping for a few opinions. ((I know be careful what you ask for!!))

Option 1:
Back to stock black vinyl. (Not likely!)

Option 2:
Stock with leather. Color would be Red. Car is now grey metallic.

Option 3:
Stock interior with one racing seat (GTS Classics R trimmed to match interior)

Option 4:
GTS Classics R front seats in leather with grommets. NO rear seats.

Option 5:
GTS Classics R front and rear seats trimmed in leather to match with grommets.

Lots of options. I really appreciate your help.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:01 am 
356 Fan

Tag: '64 C Coupe
Short answer: You don't see too many outlaw builds with stock seats, so I'd go with the R seats. Red leather will look great with gray metallic. I'd also delete the rear seats but that might just be me.

Long answer (actually more like questions): I like to think of these things in terms of function. How will you be planning to use the car? Will it have a higher horsepower engine and upgraded brakes, suspension, etc.? Will you be autocrossing the car or driving it spiritidly? Will it be more of a show car when you're finished? Are you looking to please yourself, or a potential future buyer?

I've settled on transforming my C coupe into a GT-look car, with a more period feel to the modifications vs. something really modern looking. It will have GT/Speedster buckets because of the look, yes, but also because they will hold me better when driving swiftly than the stock seats. I also will have plexi windows at a minimum, deleted rear seats, etc. to reduce weight to make it a little quicker and that will change the look but for a purposeful reason. My car will be able to go back to stock relatively easily should someone want to.

So it kind of depends on what you're trying to accomplish. What do you want people to say when they see it? "Cool, a 356 that kinda looks like Singer did it" or "neat an old 356 race car".

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:25 pm 
356 Fan

Sean,

Thanks for the input. I would say that does lead me in the direction I was thinking. I would not want to do something that is so personal that no one else wants it.

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:16 am 
356 Fan

A seat manufacturer from the second biggest state in the union once supplied me with a pair of really beautiful looking 356 seats, steel tube framed true bucket seats that looked well engineered and extremely safe. The rather expensive extra seat mounts and sliders turned out to be an absolute joke. To try to be fair, the sliders worked OK, but raised the seats several inches when mounted on the expensive mounting brackets, said mounting brackets not even close to fitting any 356 without much welding and drilling. After making proper new brackets using stock 356 sliders, the first time I slid my butt across the seat the black piping cover completely shredded. One butt slide, expensive upholstery job totally ruined. Scott, please be careful where you spend your hard earned money.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:58 pm 
356 Fan

Thanks Craig. Points taken.