Front bumper guards on rear with GT exhaust

For those who couldn't care less how their 356 left the factory!
M Penta
356 Fan

Front bumper guards on rear with GT exhaust

#1 Post by M Penta »

Anyone have a pic of front bumper guards installed on rear? I am wondering how well it covers the cut outs with out the funnels in place. I would like to use a GT style exhaust on my 64C and am thinking I will keep bumper guards on the car since I actually like them. The car has a header/side exit muffler on it now that I dislike and want to replace, and the original rear bumper guards chrome is badly peeling and look pretty rough. I would like to see a pic of front guards on rear with a GT style exhaust if anybody has one.

Other then 912 engine, 5.5 steel wheels and exhaust the car is stock, but thought I would post here since it is more along the lines of an outlaw related question.

Thanks,

Mark

M Penta
356 Fan

Re: Front bumper guards on rear with GT exhaust

#2 Post by M Penta »

Here is one example I found. Not sure what I think yet, there is a pretty big gap between the guard and the body work where the cutout will still be pretty visible. I'll have to look at my car when I get home to really see how this would look.

I did consider removing them front and rear, welding up holes in bumpers and doing GT style trim but not sure I feel like it right now, and do not really want the vacant cut outs anyway.

I found a good deal on some front bumper guards in decent shape, so for now it would be a relatively cheap/easy solution (with or with out the current exhaust system).

Thanks,

Mark
Attachments
Front guards on rear2 GT style exhaust.jpg
front guardas on rear GT exhaust.jpg

M Penta
356 Fan

#3 Post by M Penta »

I picked up some used, original front guards and installed them on the rear.

Pic of them installed and original bumper guards in rough shape.

I'll leave them on there for now but after feeling the weight of them I think I want to remove all of them and refinish bumpers/install GT trim. Also, they can not help aerodynamics any, especially the rears which act as an air scoop. After looking at other cars with guard deleted I decided I like the look of it better anway.

I also looked at some cast reproductions, which were even (much) heavier then the stock items.

Mark
Attachments
old bumper guards.png
bumper guards.png

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#4 Post by Jim Liberty »

DSC_0003.JPG
How about this. Mo '63, S-90.
Jim Liberty

M Penta
356 Fan

#5 Post by M Penta »

I really love that exhaust Jim, I may end up with one of those instead of the GT type. For now though I will have to live with that side hanging "weight". At least it does sound pretty good.
Front guards on the rear of that beauty, now I am really happy with my decision. I may eventually delete both front and rear, but not on the priority list right now.

Even when (if) I return my car to full stock, I really do not want the sound of the original muffler so that will be something that will never be stock again most likely!

Thanks,
Mark

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#6 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Mark I don't have a picture but I know some have made a removable panel piece similar to the torsion bar cover to fill in the exhaust cut out and painted it body color. Reversible and would clean up that area if you go with GT exhaust.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

M Penta
356 Fan

#7 Post by M Penta »

Thanks Doug, that is what I am planning to do (eventually). For now I am pretty happy with it.

Mark
Last edited by M Penta on Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steve Proctor
356 Fan

#8 Post by Steve Proctor »

The sound from that type of exhaust is amazing. Many of them come with removable "baffles." They sound good with the baffles in place and awesome with the baffles out. I wear a good set of ear plugs on trips of any length with the baffles out. With some cam, people love the sound.

You can also do surgery on stock exhausts to relieve back pressure. I did that with my 912 and got a nice deep sound. John Wilberg showed me how in San Diego, circa 1986. Remember, John??
STP
Steve Proctor
Member Since 1977
VIN 84757

Sean M Rooks
356 Fan
Tag: '64 C Coupe

#9 Post by Sean M Rooks »

I don't think this helps you since you're keeping bumper guards up front, but since I have no guards front or rear (removed and smoothed by the PO) I am adding stainless bends to the stock S-pipes and routing them through the cutouts VW "peashooter" style. I've done a test fit and I really like the look. Will post pics as soon as I have some.

Pat Daily
356 Fan

#10 Post by Pat Daily »

Hey Sean--would love to see your photos of the exhausts. We need to get local 356 together for a drive before the winter weather gets here.
Pat Daily
Midlothian, VA
356B coupe (121123 aka "Fast Frieda") 

Sean M Rooks
356 Fan

#11 Post by Sean M Rooks »

Pat - love the idea of a drive. We need Harold and Robert G. to join us! H. has had some issues w/his C after a brief fire in the engine bay, but he's cruising on repairs.

I'm planning to be at the next C&C Richmond on the 21st if I can get the pipes all buttoned up. The rest of the car is back together after a summer of fixing stuff up and playing with my 911. :)

M Penta
356 Fan

#12 Post by M Penta »

Hi Sean, Pat,

I do like the look of the S pipes out of the cut outs, like this car:

Probably would sound good with the length of tailpipe too, but not sure if I want to add 4 90* turns to the exhaust.

I like the look of bumper guard delete, but I like the bumper guards too. What I do not like is the weight of them, and they can't help aerodynamics either.

For now I love it as is though, and do not want to go to far from stock look, but I do plan on longer studs, 10mm spacers and Vredstiens this winter.

Sean M Rooks
356 Fan

#13 Post by Sean M Rooks »

Mark,

I too have a side exit exhaust on my car and the visible cutouts have been annoying me since day one. Here's the before:

I got the stainless pipes mounted up this week so I could do some test drives this weekend. These are very simply a set of 1.5" pre-bent pipes from summit racing. They fit exactly into the NOS pipes that exit the restored Leistritz exhaust I just installed. My thanks to Lufteknic in Richmond for having a set of original pipes on hand:

The stainless bends have been trimmed slightly on the connection side. You ditch the stock bend that exits near the cutouts and connects to the funnel in the bumper guard but keep the bracket clamps.

They are smaller diameter than the example you posted above (and the version CJ Murray has on his outlaw fjord green car) but I like the size and length actually. Feels "vintage" and will nicely keep exhaust off the bumper. I had to make an extension piece to allow me to tilt the pipes upward from the stock angle so they exit in the cutout rather than under it, but still mount to the tabs on the muffler. It was a bit fiddly to make sure nothing touches the valence.

It's all kinda temporary. Ideally I'll have a set of pipes welded up with the bracket attached at the proper angle. But for now, I think it looks a heck of a lot better than the bursch coming out the side and the Leistritz sounds just as good to my ear.

John Clarke
356 Fan

#14 Post by John Clarke »

Hi Mark
A bit off topic, but what is that van in your original shot. Thought it was a Corvair Greenbrier , but not sure.
I'm interested in the upside down front bumper guards at the rear as we have a Bursch hanging out the side of our 912 lump.
Cheers Jay

M Penta
356 Fan

#15 Post by M Penta »

Looks good Sean, I was not aware that the Leistritz sounds different from stock. I wonder what internal differences there are.

Hi John,

That is my 66 Dodge van. Very dependable old rig and we use it often. A few more pics of it in my project thread: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=27039

The front guards on rear are not upside down, they swap L to R. Very simple solution for now, looks much better then it did.

Thanks,

Mark