Headlight on when wiper on?

For those who couldn't care less how their 356 left the factory!
Conrad Carter
356 Fan
Tag: Let's be careful out there!

Headlight on when wiper on?

#1 Post by Conrad Carter »

Anyone done this? Who supplies relay kit w/ wiring diagram?
Conrad

John Brooks
356 Fan

Re: Headlight on when wiper on?

#2 Post by John Brooks »

I am confused, is yours doing this? If so Check the wiring on the wiper switch, sounds like you have the grounds swapped.

If you want to do it, go the back of the wiper switch pin 54d ( black purple). Tap that wire to the relay coil 85 and through 86 to ground on the other side of the coil. The on the contact side of relay go from 6v to 30 through the relay 87 to the low beam light relay coil 85 to existing ground on 86 When you pull out the wiper switch, it will power the new relay, it will Close and power the low beam relay coil. When you turn on the lights the new relay contact is open and will not power the wipers.

This will close the low beam relay when you switch on the wipers. It may make the wiper slower in one direction, due to the deversion of some current to the relay coil. I think the old "3M post it note" would be easier.

If both circuits are working now leave them alone. You can't be caught in e rain that often

John
Last edited by John Brooks on Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965

Phil Planck
356 Fan

#3 Post by Phil Planck »

In some states its a law to have lights on in rain. I think Conrad is asking if someone has already done this who can share how they did it.
Phil Planck

Conrad Carter
356 Fan
Tag: Let's be careful out there!

#4 Post by Conrad Carter »

Yes. Seems like a great safety idea. Guy on EBay has a kit (relay and wiring diagram) for sale for $65. Seems expensive for what you get. Do any of 356 vendors sell one?
Conrad