4 outlaw fans

For those who couldn't care less how their 356 left the factory!
Jeff Corneau
356 Fan

#31 Post by Jeff Corneau »

So how does one define "Outlaw?" And do I qualify? Many many moons ago, my grandfather took his '59 A and put disc brakes all around, a 912 engine, tons of chrome in the interior, chromed and leather lined the engine compartment, added two gauges from a DC airplane (oil pressure and a clock), an altimeter from a P-51 (he was a WWII Lt Col in the USAF), Weber carbs, Mallory ignition, Abarth exhaust, and probably a myriad of other things that my rookie eyes are not able to point out. I have always been a 'modder' and really enjoy putting well designed "hop ups" on my cars. Always including things like intake, exhaust, and lightened parts like pulleys and cranks. I will never try to 'restore' this car, but would rather keep it exactly how my Papa designed it.

What are your thoughts? Am I an Outlaw? Or am I am era specific hot rodder?
Jeff Corneau
Original Family Owned
1959 356A T2
Silver on black leather
#106334 Chassis
#836998 Engine
#85370 Transmission
www.papas356.com

Jason McComb
356 Fan

#32 Post by Jason McComb »

For guys like myself 26 years young. Building a outlaw stlye car is about the only way to afford to build a 356. Plus who does mind a few extra hp?

John Clarke
356 Fan

Outlaws?

#33 Post by John Clarke »

Hi everyone,

That's enough!
Forget badges! Anyone installed a 6 pot Corvair lump in a 356 to make a proper outlaw?

Kind regards

Jay

Rich Behrends
356 Fan

#34 Post by Rich Behrends »

Jeff Corneau wrote:So how does one define "Outlaw?" And do I qualify? Many many moons ago, my grandfather took his '59 A and put disc brakes all around, a 912 engine, tons of chrome in the interior, chromed and leather lined the engine compartment, added two gauges from a DC airplane (oil pressure and a clock), an altimeter from a P-51 (he was a WWII Lt Col in the USAF), Weber carbs, Mallory ignition, Abarth exhaust, and probably a myriad of other things that my rookie eyes are not able to point out. I have always been a 'modder' and really enjoy putting well designed "hop ups" on my cars. Always including things like intake, exhaust, and lightened parts like pulleys and cranks. I will never try to 'restore' this car, but would rather keep it exactly how my Papa designed it.

What are your thoughts? Am I an Outlaw? Or am I am era specific hot rodder?
Congratulations your a OUTLAW
Rich Behrends
lurking since March 09

Gene Choin
356 Fan

6 Cyl Rush!!

#35 Post by Gene Choin »

I started out with a 54 1500 Normal Coupe in 1961. By 64 when I went to Sweden for schooling, I had owned 6, but sold everything for school money (can you say 150-$600 Speedsters). When I returned, I was determined to get another.

Shortly after I bought my new 65 C in Jan 66, the engine disappeared.
I bought a 65 140HP Corvair and adapter and installed it. Only needed to cut back the rear package tray and make a rear motor mount.
IT DROVE WONDERFUL!!

In 1968, I flared the wheel wells simply by heating the fronts and pulling them a little and adding Gremlin front wheel flares on the rear. I got Ansen 'bubble mags" for GM and re-drilled them with a hand drill in my front yard and 14mm tapped the special bolts that came with them. They were straight and smooth as fast as it would go. They had a 1.5" offset so the track was 3" wider.

I drove it that way for about 5 years with enormous power (2.4 L), but had a propensity to rip ring and pinions out!

In 1974, I took out the 741 and installed a Corvair 4 speed. It is the Corette T10 in a transaxle housing. A 8 x4 inch bent wing adapted the Corvair rear to the C trans mounts. No hoop used. Mount from frame across the engine front (rear?).
I used the 65 Corvair suspension by welding plates onto the Corvair hubs and bolting them onto the swing arms. The hubs hooked to he stock Corvair IRS (not axle tubes). The camber was adjustable with a cam bolt that let me easily change from street to race. Linkage just hooked up straight. I equalized the brakes with a Camaro brake equalizer.

I drove it on the road, track, high speed ralleys (6000 RPM was 135 mph on the road from Minneapolis to Northfield with the Nord Stern Club, at Brainerd (always put me in 2.5L Mods with the protos et c., I never came close to winning, but sure had fun) and to the 1976 Porsche Parade. It was fast reliable and never needed adjusting. It always sounded like the engine was running too fast because of 6cyl instead of 4. It was red lined at 6000 with hydraulic lifters. I could handle a 2L Carrera 2 if I shifted it right.

Not to leave it alone, I bored the Corvair to 3.5 L, lowered the compression to 7:1 and turbo charged it with 12 # boost.
I figured it was at least 220 Peak HP by then.
Needless to say, it could roll up you eyelids like a window shade!

Being older and quieter now, I took out all of the old stuff, put in a new package tray, cleaned up all the carpets and trim, put in a 912 motor. I still like the flares and Ansen wheels. I may put a 2.4 VW in it just for fun!
Gene Choin
Bench Racers Anonymous Charter Member
Certified Wrench
Eugene H Choin

Dirk Heinrich
356 Fan

Final Version

#36 Post by Dirk Heinrich »

Okay below is the final version of the second sticker that seemed more popular (with a little watermark). You guys inspired me to finish the project.
It'll be printed next week (sticking from inside - adhesive on the face) and when ready, you can find it in the classified section.

I am exploring additional options - I'll let you know!

In my opinion: no need to define outlaw too narrow. I'd say those who have fun by being creative beyond the usual with their 356 qualify.

Jeff Corneau
356 Fan

#37 Post by Jeff Corneau »

Sign me up I love it! When they are ready, do you think you can post here again with the link to where to order it? I have worked in technology for 15 years and can't seem to find a darn thing when I really want it. :shock: Awesome job on the sticker. I would really rather have a badge..... Still not enough takers on a badge?? Come on Outlaws....Pony Up!
Jeff Corneau
Original Family Owned
1959 356A T2
Silver on black leather
#106334 Chassis
#836998 Engine
#85370 Transmission
www.papas356.com

Dirk Heinrich
356 Fan

#38 Post by Dirk Heinrich »

Sure Jefro - I'll post the link to classified here as soon as I get them :!:

I am still on the badge thing - tried different channels also the registry goody store (they "cannot give out the contact the manufacturer's information", but are willing to order minimum 100 badges / 1000 stickers, which is a little much stickers - but, I am waiting still for a quote for the 100 badges only).
I also wrote to a couple of manufacturers in Taiwan and other Asian Countries.

Mark Pribanic
356 Fan
Tag: Drive 'Em!

#39 Post by Mark Pribanic »

Dirk see Vince's post as a possible source for badges...

http://356registry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4490
Mark Pribanic
Registry# 13617
Florida Owners Group Trustee - 2008-2010
Neptune Beach, Florida USA
Instagram: Mark.Pribanic

jeff gamble

Arizona 356 OutLaw

#40 Post by jeff gamble »

Of coarse you can order a signed Arizona 356 Outlaws hand made in foundry cast bronze directly from Tucson Outlaw Jeff Gamble,, jgambleart@aol.com

Jeff Corneau
356 Fan

#41 Post by Jeff Corneau »

Dirk Heinrich wrote:Sure Jefro - I'll post the link to classified here as soon as I get them :!:

I am still on the badge thing - tried different channels also the registry goody store (they "cannot give out the contact the manufacturer's information", but are willing to order minimum 100 badges / 1000 stickers, which is a little much stickers - but, I am waiting still for a quote for the 100 badges only).
I also wrote to a couple of manufacturers in Taiwan and other Asian Countries.
1,000 Stickers......hmmmm....I'm sure there are a lot of roadsigns that could use a fresh sticker. LOL 8) Wouldn't that be cool....you're out driving your 356 and you pass a 65MPH speed limit sign......with an OUTLAW sticker on it! Oh yeah! Send me 500!
Jeff Corneau
Original Family Owned
1959 356A T2
Silver on black leather
#106334 Chassis
#836998 Engine
#85370 Transmission
www.papas356.com

Dirk Heinrich
356 Fan

BINGO

#42 Post by Dirk Heinrich »

Good News. Production has started:

The grill-badges will be available in mid-November (yeah, that's how long it takes).
The stickers will be available by end of October (about two weeks).

All is good quality and the price will be reasonable - I did quite some research to find good manufacturers. I think the badges will be a signed limited edition. The stickers will be inside window (of course) and solid quality as well.

Rusty Willey
356 Fan

#43 Post by Rusty Willey »

Dirk, you are the Man!!! You can be sure to sign me up for both when they arrive :D
Don't hate me for driving Volkswagens.

Bill Oldham
356 Fan

#44 Post by Bill Oldham »

Dirk,
Thanks for all the work.
I will also be happy to buy both.
Bill

Jeff Corneau
356 Fan

#45 Post by Jeff Corneau »

I am definitely in as well. Very happy you decided to pursue the badges!
Jeff Corneau
Original Family Owned
1959 356A T2
Silver on black leather
#106334 Chassis
#836998 Engine
#85370 Transmission
www.papas356.com