clutch hydraulic slave

For those who couldn't care less how their 356 left the factory!
Adrian Rendle
356 Fan

clutch hydraulic slave

#1 Post by Adrian Rendle »

i am just starting putting my T5 back together....i read quite a few posts about clutch adjustment problems, so, would it be a worthwhile modification to convert the clutch to hydraulic actuation? (it is on a car which is/will be very much an outlaw and which i've converted to rhd, the transmission has 2 mountings, and it will just be used for normal street use.....and, i've never driven a 356), cheers

John Clarke
356 Fan

Re: clutch hydraulic slave

#2 Post by John Clarke »

Hi Adrian
We have a T5 B Coupe down in East Sussex
I don't know if anyone has done a hydraulic conversion or not. It does seem a good idea.
I have only had to replace the clutch cable once when we started to lose the clutch actuation and found that it was just hanging by 3 or 4 wires of the cable!
Cheers Jay

C J Murray
356 Fan

Re: clutch hydraulic slave

#3 Post by C J Murray »

Clutch cables rarely give trouble. Hydraulic systems tend to cause more problems especially in machines that tend to sit unused.

That said I wanted brake bias adjustability in my vintage racing 356 and installed a Tilton pedal assembly which utilizes a hydraulic clutch as preferred by most race car builders. Many of the hot rod VW guys switch from cable and the slave cylinder is readily available. It worked fine for me but I wouldn't bother for a street 356 unless I was building a "restomod" and wanted some bling. The bracket shown on the trans was redesigned and made much better before I actually raced the car.
IMG_1122.jpg
IMG_1122.jpg (155.88 KiB) Viewed 1436 times
Attachments
IMG_1125.jpg
IMG_1125.jpg (107.15 KiB) Viewed 1436 times
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion