1962 Porsche 356 Emory Special Speedster

For those who couldn't care less how their 356 left the factory!
Larry Lineker
356 Fan

1962 Porsche 356 Emory Special Speedster

#1 Post by Larry Lineker »

Very fortunate new member here. I have had, luckily, many years of Porsche ownership. The affliction started in 1999 with my first P Car, 1997 993 Cabrio and over the years I have acquired and traded so many that I have lost count. I was fixated for years on GT versions with a focus on PTS cars. The two that I should not have ever get away was my PTS Riviera '11 997.2 GT3 RS and especially rare my PTS Orange '09 GT2. I started playing around again with older 911/912 aircooleds a few years back and first acquired a 69 912 Irish Green Targa that has been worked over to now be running a 2.7 L four pot built by Raby with 911SC brakes/suspension etc. Its a ball to drive. Last year I acquired from a good friend a complete nut and bolt, numbers matching 69 911T Targa Irish Green which I absolutely love and use as my DD when I'm at our winter home in Palm Desert. I have been trolling on this great site for many years, wistfully thinking about buying a 356. Well as luck would have it a good friend from a mid western Porsche dealer mentioned to me that he had a 62 356 S90 Cabriolet, nut and bolt, everything done right example. After a few calls back and forth I have become its new guardian, and although I still haven't picked it up (traveling like a mad man and weather is still crummy here in Chicago) I'm counting the days to spring where I can pick up this beauty and take it to our lake home for my summer DD, like I said boy am I fortunate. Well that should be the end of the story and you must be asking why are you sharing this in the Outlaw corner? Back to my home in Palm Desert, there is a terrific P car following there and in particular the R Gruppe folks are just awesome. Well last week one of my R Gruppe buddies asked me about "what my next special wishes P car would be" without hesitation for me its an Emory. What Rod does with the 356 is in a word AMAZING in my . Well sadly one of Rod's good friends and a very well known and loved PCA member passed away from pancreatic cancer. od built for him almost 10 years ago only one of 6 Emory Specials and the only "speedster". To my very good fortune I have been given the privilege of being the new custodian for this special car. Its on its way to Rod's place for a go over and then hopefully sometime in May/June the keys will be in my hands, wind in my receding hair and bugs in my teeth.
Gratefully Larry
Attachments
IMG_4317.PNG
IMG_4389.JPG
IMG_2989.JPG

C J Murray
356 Fan

Re: 1962 Porsche 356 Emory Special Speedster

#2 Post by C J Murray »

Welcome. Nice cars!
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Rhys and Karisa Haydon
Registry Trustee

#3 Post by Rhys and Karisa Haydon »

Looking sharp! Those Chicago winters are cold!
1956 Coupe "Marilyn"
1964 Coupe "Homer"
Instagram: @therhys

Erik bruun
356 Fan

#4 Post by Erik bruun »

Congrats on the purchase ... amazing car to see on the road, truely a work of art.
Erik
Attachments
IMG_0345.JPG

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#5 Post by Martin Benade »

Yes, not merely beautiful craftsmanship, the lines are art. It looks exactly right, not many are capable of both art and craftsmanship.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Richard Emerson
356 Fan

#6 Post by Richard Emerson »

That’s a nice looking Emory. While I also like all original cars I have had 4 Emory’s (my race car, a special and two other polo powered cars). He does great work and in the 20 years we have been friends has always been honest, enthusiastic and really great to work with. Indeed after a few years without an Emory he has a project he’s doing for me now followed by something even crazier. His new engines and brakes look amazing and much better than the older generations.